SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendation for pistol grip stock for Mini-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for pistol grip stock for Mini-14 Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Went out with grandson and shot his new-to-him PSA AR. I'd forgotten how much fun they are to shoot.

While I'd like to have an AR, my budget would be happier with a AR-style pistol grip stock on my Mini-14. Don't want/need a folder, don't care for the looks of the wire-frame type, but other than that I'm open to suggestion.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There aren't really any great options for a pistol grip Mini-14 stock.

The better quality options are expensive. The old "A-Team"-style factory folders with a pistol grip are decent, but collectible and very pricey, when you can find them. Sage offers an EBR chassis for the Mini-14, but it's stupid expensive at over $500: http://www.sageinternationallt...IL/MINI-ALCS-CV.html Troy used to offer a MCS chassis for the Mini-14, but it's discontinued, and it was also expensive.

More affordable pistol grip stocks are offered by companies like Choate, Butler Creek, Tapco, Archangel (ProMag), and ATI. But these are generally one or more of the following: flimsy, fugly, and/or overly tacticool.

Of those options, I'd probably go with just "fugly", and choose this non-folding model from Choate as the best of these less-than-ideal options:
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/07-01-42

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've been surfing and looking at pictures and came to pretty much the same conclusion: Expensive enough to justify just buying an AR, or flimsy/fugly.

What I should REALLY do is take a couple of aspirin and a nap and wait for this whole idea to go away...

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
you are a handy with tools type of guy,

just get a lower and a PSA kit (they are good and inexpensive) and put one together,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
you are a handy with tools type of guy,

just get a lower and a PSA kit (they are good and inexpensive) and put one together,

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
PSA was selling full rifle kits for $299. Add a $39 to $49 lower receiver, and you have an AR15 for $350.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Choate non-folding, non-telescopic is a solid, functional pistol grip stock.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I say leave it alone, it's better like it is. ARs are nice, and I have several, but they don't put a smile on my face like my mini. Something about the way it balances and shoulders, the classic lines, and the way it throws brass into the next county. Love my mini.

If you really need to scratch the tacticool, pistol-grip itch, ARs are cheaper than ever right now, and it's a great time to buy one. IMO they fill that role better than the Mini anyway, and it'll allow you to keep the Mini unmolested.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I say leave it alone, it's better like it is. ARs are nice, and I have several, but they don't put a smile on my face like my mini. Something about the way it balances and shoulders, the classic lines, and the way it throws brass into the next county. Love my mini.

If you really need to scratch the tacticool, pistol-grip itch, ARs are cheaper than ever right now, and it's a great time to buy one. IMO they fill that role better than the Mini anyway, and it'll allow you to keep the Mini unmolested.

All options on the back burner at the moment. An opportunity to scratch another long-awaited item off my Want List has arisen. Details this evening.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, my toy fund has taken a serious ass-whipping so gun stuff goes on the back burner for a while.

I've been cruising Craigslist looking for a benchtop vertical mill for a while now and came across this beauty at a fair price:

Got a bunch of tooling with it. Guy's Dad bought it to machine AR lowers and gave up after one. I suspect I know why:

This is the one end mill that had been used. Clogged plumb full of aluminum. Don't think he had the first clue what he was doing. Much of the machine was still in cosomoline. Looks like he uncrated it, tossed it up an a bench and started milling. Only half-bolted to the stand, vise held in place with random hardware versus the t-slot clamps it was designed for.

It'll get proper love here...

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Now you don't need to buy an AR...you can make one! And pretty much anything else you want Big Grin.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post