SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    For car owners, do you have a rifle in your vehicle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For car owners, do you have a rifle in your vehicle? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
For car owners, do you have a rifle in your vehicle?

If I'm going to the range to shoot my rifle, yes. Would I keep one in the car? No way, or any other firearm.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup I have a rifle in my truck. Its way more useful than a pistol, in general. I'm guessing that the majority of trucks around here probably do as well. Car breakins are pretty rare. Now if I'm forced to go to the 'big city' etc. I wouldn't leave one in the truck overnight I'd just take it in with me. Discreet bag and I've never seen anyone take even a modest look at the storage while checking in at a hotel. I store it behind /unde the seat in a pickup. no concerns on storage conditions after many years of doing it. Of course laws in my state on rifles in vehicles mean the rifle is unloaded, but that doesn't really bother me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/...-f0c555246e-20883101
Not currently, but this has me thinking.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not unless I'm going on a trip. If I lived in the wild it would likely be different but otherwise I just use whats on my hip.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with not leaving one in a vehicle, especially Houston. On one of my trips down there last year my and several other car windows were smashed out in the hotel parking lot. They went through trunks and everything, bags torn open and worthless belongings thrown all over the parking lot. Fortunately I didn't have anything in my vehicle.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
2 pistols of the 9mm variant and some times a AR Pistol. When I'm expecting big trouble, I pack a Gilboa Snake!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
2 pistols of the 9mm variant and some times a AR Pistol. When I'm expecting big trouble, I pack a Gilboa Snake!

When I am in my car and expecting trouble - I remember that my car is a 4,000lb battering ram and far more powerful than my rifle. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting takes for sure. Yes, being in Houston, nothing gets left in the car overnight, and fortunately at work we have a gated parking lot. CC goes with me wherever I go, but I was waxing nostalgic thinking back to time, even in Houston, that rifle racks in use were more of a common site. An Suv or truck makes deploying it (in that .5% chance, but hey it did happen with here with the church shooting) more feasible than a car, but a truck I don't have....

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have a 16" AR-10 that I keep under the back seats of my truck.

If I had the money I would keep a X95 in there. But that would sting if it was stolen.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to park my F-150 on the driveway at night. It’s just too much of a risk to leave a firearm overnight in my vehicle.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I feel the need, I place my 8.5" 300Blk AR pistol in the back compartment of the car or on the back seat of my Jeep. It comes back in the house with me. Usually have an XDs 9mm IWB with me also.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig MPX pistol in a lockbox under the backseat with 4 mags in a messenger bag. I figure if someone steals it they’ll be disappointed with the fact it jams so much.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm the only one with a car in the family, but 1 is the '62 VW Ragtop, other is the '72 Corvette, so no, not in the cars ...

In the truck, (crew-cab) the rear seat flips forward for jack storage so I built and welded a metal hinged thing to the rear bulkhead, kind of like the "Rapid Wall Lock" for a rifle ... I park in the garage at home but I work close to the edge of town, not far from a friends farm, he has a range and berms at 25 and about 100 yards, I like to visit on my lunch hour or after work. AR's, AK's, CZ's HK's & SiG's all fit securely & don't rattle around.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in transportation policing (maritime & rail). I travel a lot and must carry everything I need in my vehicle. I carry a BHP 9mm, an 870P in a regular trunk lock rack. My rifle is a modified Ruger #3 in 45/70, modified by Great Western Firearms to a 16.25" barrel and a good cerahide coating on gun & stock. Has a nice Lyman rear ghost sight and a night front sight. Has a picatinny rail under the forend for a good light, also a quick detachable sling for whether or not I need it, and a flash/recoil suppressor.
I have a 6 shot butt cuff, and 4 rounds, 2 on each side of the forend. Also 40 extra rounds on board the vehicle.
I know, some folks are going to say "what? a single shot?", "what about the zombie attack?". My rational runs something like this:
I can hit easily with this rifle out to 135 meters;
With one shot at a time I plan and take that shot very carefully, and with a carbine size gun,can get it off quickly;
I use specialty ammo with a 400 gr flat point made out of very hard cast lead which is a real thumper and will penetrate most vehicles end to end (excluding engine block), thus there is very little cover from this rifle;
At close range the flash/bang is highly likely to seriously distress anyone who is in the neighborhood and is not hit with the first shot;
Anyone hit with this round is not going to continue the fight no matter where they are hit-with the possible exception of lopping off a non essential digit-little finger or toe, any major bone hit is going to turn to splinters;
I train to reload quickly, ala Quigley Down Under, which is really easy to learn and perfect;
It's short and handy for use around rail yards, ship yards and aboard vessels-the downside is one wants ear protection if you are going to fire it in a confined space like a vessel companionway or tunnel-but I have a good set of ear plugs attached to the rifle just in case.
It is unusual in this era of spray & pray, but I believe in it, know I can hit with it, and again, there is that feeling that one had better be careful with each shot. And when the shot connects, it is going to have the desired effect.
Lastly, with the curved Ruger butt plate and fitted recoil, it is a melee weapon par excellence, no matter what part of the weapon is used for a strike it will not break.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post