SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    For car owners, do you have a rifle in your vehicle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For car owners, do you have a rifle in your vehicle? Login/Join 
posted
If I had a truck this would be a no brainier, but I don't so for the car owners out there do you keep a rifle in your vehicle? My CC goes with me everywhere, but looking at the feasibility of bringing my rifle as well. If you do, how do you store it, where do you store it, and what do you do about humidity? Just looking for options, or even if this is a valid option. Thank you in advance.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Only keep a rifle in my car when traveling with a belief I want something more than a handgun. Mini-14 with a folding stock doesn't take up much space and fits my mindset.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Only on my way back and forth to work. Until I install some type of locking mechanism in my car I don’t want to risk losing it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on the road a lot for work. I've never felt the need for a rifle, but have thought about it. It's just one more thing for me to carry into a hotel and back out in the morning however. Instead I usually throw a couple of Glock 33 round mags in a dual pouch mag carrier and toss them in the glove box of the rental. The likelihood of me being able to get in the glove box is lightening fast compared to having to get to the trunk to deploy a rifle. I hope and doubt I'll ever find out, but 82 rounds of 9mm would hopefully get me out of anything I ever encounter.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I always have my G19 and on occasion an AR pistol.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
I'm on the road a lot for work. I've never felt the need for a rifle, but have thought about it. It's just one more thing for me to carry into a hotel and back out in the morning however. Instead I usually throw a couple of Glock 33 round mags in a dual pouch mag carrier and toss them in the glove box of the rental. The likelihood of me being able to get in the glove box is lightening fast compared to having to get to the trunk to deploy a rifle. I hope and doubt I'll ever find out, but 82 rounds of 9mm would hopefully get me out of anything I ever encounter.

Funny, I carry some 33 rounders in a backpack along with my Sub2K. 9mm out of a 16" barrel, folded before use, hiding in said backpack. 84 rounds read to go.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you keep it in a locked hard-sided case (which I think may be required in Tee-Ex) in the back of a car or SUV, then a pistol may be needed to get the time and space to access the rifle. I suppose that's one of the arguments for keeping a braced pistol in the vehicle.

On the other hand, if the car's working and you've got space to drive out of whatever situation you're in, drive!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not every day,
but do have at least one handgun in the car, usually 2,

if I feel the need (local climate, happenings etc) then a AR carbine, or a riot style shotgun gets tossed in the trunk

never had an issue with rust, even in hot/humid central VA

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you live, but I honestly think for 99% of Americans, guns left in vehicles are just waiting to be stolen.

Now in vast stretches of wilderness around the country, I can see the desire and would likely bring an AR15 pistol to mitigate potential 'loaded rifle' legal issues.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agree whole heartedly
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Depends on where you live, but I honestly think for 99% of Americans, guns left in vehicles are just waiting to be stolen.

Now in vast stretches of wilderness around the country, I can see the desire and would likely bring an AR15 pistol to mitigate potential 'loaded rifle' legal issues.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I used to and would like to get back to it but my previous vehicle had a much better storage space for a rifle.

I had a hidden trunk in the back of my SUV and a cargo mat over it and my samples on top of that. My samples would be stolen before anyone figured out I had a rifle somewhere in the car.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have a trunk gun. Mini 14.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I used to carry an M1 Carbine in the back seat of my truck on long trips. Now an AR is 1/3 the price. The real challenge is carrying a long arm into a motel or hotel room.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scar 16's and 17's with the stock folded fit perfectly into a tennis racket bag. Too expensive to leave in the vehicle but......

Beretta ARX 100's with the stock folded and barrel quick released with fit into a std size backpack.

They make a one shoulder backpack that fits a Tavor if you don't put too large an optic on.

Just sayin'

;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Scar 16's and 17's with the stock folded fit perfectly into a tennis racket bag. Too expensive to leave in the vehicle but......

Beretta ARX 100's with the stock folded and barrel quick released with fit into a std size backpack.

They make a one shoulder backpack that fits a Tavor if you don't put too large an optic on.

A CZ Scorpion pistol/SBR with the stock or arm brace folded fits in most normal-sized backpacks.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
When I go on a long road trip I typically bring an AR pistol w/folding stock that fits in a normal looking (non-tacticool) backpack. I don’t leave it in the car overnight and it never gets a second look when I bring the backpack inside wherever I’m staying. I don’t intentionally go anyplace where I think it will be needed but it’s hard to predict what will be encountered hundreds of miles away.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes but I live in rural Alaska so it’s pretty normal. A savage lightweight hunter in 223 with an old leupold vxII. There’s a box of Ammo back there for it too.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
AR pistol In a tennis racquet bag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I agree.

On a nearly consistent basis, we get one or two folks a month into our LGS who left guns in their vehicles and had them stolen. Years ago, my truck was broken into while parked at a gun range/store. While I never leave a firearm in my vehicle unless it's in a secured lot, that one instance cinched it for me.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I do not leave any firearms in the car unless they are meant to be transported.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post