SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anschutz Model 1409 from 1967...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anschutz Model 1409 from 1967... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
saved from the scrapyard a while back for fifty bucks...

https://youtu.be/ddXPYYh1yuw

This old Anschutz target rifle was languishing in a corner safe in our old premises in Oundle town for many years until I discovered it a few years back. I'd never seen it before, and the log showed that it had last been out and used back in 1982. It was covered with a very fine layer of 'dusty' rust, and much of the varnish had peeled off the stock. It was going to be scrapped and the money, if any, going towards a couple of CZ for the clubs noobies to practice on.

It was not far off the saddest thing I'd ever seen, gun-wise, in my life.

Just for a laff, I pushed a rod up the barrel, only to find it as bright as a new pin from one end to the other. I put my spare set of Anschutz sights on it and fired five shots into the same hole at 25m. with that in mind, I made an offer to the club treasurer and having a spare 'slot' on my FAC, I paid up and took it home to work on.

The exposed metal was, as noted, covered with what looked like paprika powder, and using a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth [identical in every way to the far cheaper Kleeneeze wonder cloth] I carefully worked over a small part of the rusty metal. SUCCESS!! It took me three weeks and another two cloths to clean it up. The stock required a total strip-down to the bare wood, taking care to retain the complex carved shapes around the thumbhole - every sharp corner is still a sharp corner. The deep cuts on the cheek-piece were too deep to be redeemed, so I had to leave them. They were signs that the rifle had been caught on the edge of the heavy safe door either getting it out or putting it away - shame, eh? The refinishing is fifteen coats of satin-finish Min-Wax.

The spiffy-looking butt-piece was made to look almost new by the liberal application of 'Mother's metal polish'. That sucker took a LOT of hard work, but I think it was worth it.

The scope is one of two I bought from a guy on GB who lived in Montana, now gone, and the doodad on the muzzle is a barrel harmoniser - I'm at the stage where anything I can try to improve my shooting is going to get tried. The other one is on a custom laminated stocked BSA Martini International Mk11, also on my Youtube channel.

Enjoy!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Link says the video is private. I believe your 1407 has the 54 Match action. I dream of owning a 54 Match rifle. I've had a perfect 64 but was resold. I cannot recall my earlier Anschutz as it was short lived due to needing a 1911. You got a awsome deal Tac. Would sure like to see pics. BTW, their BR50 is said to be the most accurate .22 in the world.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Link says the video is private.

Yes. I would be very interested in seeing at least a still photo of the rifle.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've just had a notification that it will go public at 00:00 Eastern Time.

I apologise for that.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Sir - I have sent you an email with some images - perhaps you can share them here.

TIA

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have forwarded the photos sigfreund plus downloaded and emailed direct. Thank you.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Holy hell Tac, you've got the first nicest BSA Martini I've ever seen. Who the heck builds it like that ?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing gun and even better story. Smile

(And thanks, David Lee, for the relay.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy hell Tac, you've got the first nicest BSA Martini I've ever seen. Who the heck builds it like that ?

David, which one did you see? Is it the laminated stock model?

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to you both!!! Sigfreund, is it a trouble to send you stuff?? I have around 18,000 pics of my guns... Smile

BTW, the top target is five shots at 25m, and the bottom target is a box of 50 at 100m.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Many thanks to you both!!! Sigfreund, is it a trouble to send you stuff?? I have around 18,000 pics of my guns... Smile

No trouble at all. I might have to limit the time I post them, but it's easy enough for me to do. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:No trouble at all. I might have to limit the time I post them, but it's easy enough for me to do. Smile

Sir, you are very kind. Needless to say, I will NOT be sending you all the images, just those that Mr Lee would like to see, and which he thinks might be of some interest here. I have no real handguns, though, except a Ruger Old Army and a UK-spec Ruger Super Redhawk that is really too shaming to show on an American site.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, the laminated stock rifle which appears to wear the same scope as your Anschutz. BTW Tac, who makes your target scope ? Its a fine looking piece. You really got that for 50 bucks ? You devil you.. Big Grin

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5ZVEmrFOY

This one was REALLY expensive, all of $85, but it did include the sights, well, not quite as good as the VERY best deal ever on the left-hander MkII with a full set of Al Freeland diopter tube sights in Unertl POSA mounts for around $90 or so.

The story with this one is that the original owner, who was a county champion, was not very taken with the idea of the MkII forend bolting directly into the 1" diameter barrel. He thought that the downward pressure from the sling would unduly affect the harmonics of the barrel, leading to less than perfect results.

So he went to night school for a year or so, and learnt all about ergonomics, then came home and made this stock. The butt was home-made, but the Anschutz rail under the forend was bought. Undoing the hex bolt in the right-hand side releases the action, just like with any BSA Martini, and the scope is a x18 from Tasco. It's a T707 from the late 60's early 70's - no way of telling, and was made to compete with the likes of Unertl, Fecker, Bausch & Lomb and others in the same game - competing in the 100 yard English Match.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
lovely rifle, and scope!

I have a 61 vintage Anschutz, not a thumbhole, but it has 2 scallops for you to choose where you want to put your thumb on stock near the action,

54 actions are very very accurate, lovely rifles

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I read some of your models posted here lyman. To date I've had 2 Anschutz targets, 2nd was a 64 Match, a 40X which I shot only prone due to its barrel weight, a US Remington 541X from CMP, 2 Harrington & Richardson M12s both CMP rifles, a Remington 540 XR for mostly 50 foot indoor, a 1922 M2 Springfield and 2 Remington 510s. While I hope to have a 54 Match someday, I've seen the heavy barrel models get up over 15 pounds which is more weight than I can control. This was also what I discovered of my 40X from a standing position. I rest the rifle atop my finger tips as I never had a palm rest. I even shoot a Garand as such. And I still adore the Winchester 52s.. Cool

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
And a Walther..and a Feinwerkbau..get the idea I love shooting target rifles ?

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wow, excellent work sir. Just excellent.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Tac!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
And a Walther..and a Feinwerkbau..get the idea I love shooting target rifles ?

you say that like it is a bad thing Big Grin

I love them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post