SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which one... 224 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel? Decision made and purchased!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which one... 224 Valkyrie or 6.5 Grendel? Decision made and purchased!!! Login/Join 
posted
I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I have a nice AR15 lower that needs to get built. So which caliber? Want to build a precision gun for 600-800 yards with the occasional 1000 yard fun. Yes, I do reload and plan on for whatever caliber gun I pick up.

What say you?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 357fuzz,

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
.224 unless you really want an AR with a loooong barrel.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Had the same dilemma recently, I went with the Grendel, mainly because I plan on using it for deer hunting as well. The 6.5 is better for what I want to do.

Had I wanted something for just targets and long range fun I likely would have got the Valkyrie.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have been doing some reading and it seems the Valkyrie is a little more finicky when it comes to making a good accurate load. The Grendel seems to be a little easier to make accurate and sounds like it doesn’t beat up brass as much. Hhhhmmmmm.....

posted Hide Post
I produced the following chart to analyze various bullets and caliber in AR15 and AR10 platforms. I used a combination of actual data from my own rifles and best-guess data for others. Barrel lengths of 20" for the AR15s and 24" for the AR10s.

The Valkyrie flies noticeably flatter than the Grendel, and with a little less wind deflection. A good 223 bullet, such as the 73 ELDM, doesn't take all that much of a back seat to either at moderate distances.

I compete in team steel matches with a 20" barrel 223. Targets are regularly 500-650 yards, generally around 12" in size, and almost always in some level of wind. These are challenging conditions for consistent hits with ARs of any type. IMO target shooting at 800-1000 yards with an AR15 is more of lobbing bullets at big targets with high hopes than precision shooting. It can be done of course, but it's not a high percentage proposition with the 2 MOA-ish targets that I see in competition.

Without regard to your eventual caliber, if you're going to shoot at your stated distances, get a long barrel for velocity. Go with at least 20", but 22" to 24" is better. With the 22-24" barrels, consider an extended gas system -- one that's 1-2" longer than the normal rifle-length gas system.

Buy a top quality barrel -- JP, Wilson, Krieger, Bartein, or similar. Have a very good 'smith assemble it. Consider Craddock Precision on your short list, if you don't have anyone locally.

Grendel builds seem to have much less issues with barrels, chambers, and ammo. Valkyie builds seem more fickle. There are camps that feel Valkyrie 1:7 twists are good enough, others feel 1:6.5 is necessary for the heavy bullets.

If you shoot a lot, the Grendel barrel will have a lot longer useful life. Very little data about how long before a Grendel's throat is toast, but I suspect it will take 2-3 times as many rounds. I've seen webz reports that some Valkyrie barrels didn't make it past 2,000 rounds.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks to all for the good info!!!!

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
If you go with the Valkyrie, make sure you get a barrel with the SAAMI chamber and not a long chamber. Craddock is doing it right now. If I was buying now, I'd buy one of their current barrels.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and if you go with Grendel, make sure it's the type 2.

I went with a 20" Grendel build.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I went with an 18” Grendel, still in the evaluation stage.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I do very much like the 73 ELD in my 8 twist, 20" AR. I'm not sure of the velocity, but I think it's close to the 2800 on the chart. Weather, wind and other stuff has crimped the chrono time. On 400 yd steel, in nasty wind, the little .223 sure did shoot tight. Longer steel was more of a challenge due to 18mph+ full value wind that ended our fun. For me, the Grendel has just not sparked any joy. 24" barrels do make it shoot though.

BTW, Fritz always brings great info and data to the discussion. Much appreciated sir!

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
just paper .224

Anything else where you need impact force 6.5 Grendel. I hunt with my long range rife so 6.5 is where I went.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a .224 and I have no problem taking down deer. Although I don't take shots over 200 yards due to the woods where I hunt.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
The Valkyrie is deadly from what I'm seeing and reading.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ed308,

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
The Valkyrie is deadly from what I'm seeing and I've reading.

Yep but, it sounds like you need some work to get there... long throats, Federal says 1:7 barrels just fine for long heavy bullets but, some research said 1:6.5, etc... seems like the 6.5 Grendel is a little less finicky to make shoot tight....

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
This is a interesting You Tube video recently release that covers the issues with the Valkyrie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1lUiH1_KaY

posted Hide Post
Well, I pulled the trigger per se. I went with the .224 Valkyrie. Let the assembly of parts begin!!!!

posted Hide Post
Interested to hear your experience. Everything I have seen is very hit and miss with valk.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I hope they get the bugs ironed out.
I’ve been holding out for a while.
Built a 6.5 Grendel in the meantime.

The Gun Collective hasn’t been able to get theirs up to par yet.

https://youtu.be/a_wFoPa44PQ

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I went with the .224 Valkyrie. Let the assembly of parts begin!!!!

What parts have you acquired so far?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The complete upper and a stripped lower.

Need stock, tube, buffer, buffer spring, all the goodies that go on and in a lower, bipod, scope and mount.

I need a lot... let the fun begin and the checkbook scream.