SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "New" CMP Garand with pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New" CMP Garand with pics Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I had some extra cash in January from selling a different rifle, so I decided to order another Garand from the CMP. I figure they're not making any more and the supply won't last forever, so I'd better get what I want now. About a year and a half ago I got my first one, a CMP Special Rack. That one is a Springfield receiver from Nov 1942, an IHC bolt, mostly Springfield internal bits, and being a "special", CMP wood and a new production Criterion barrel. It's pretty nice with only a little pitting under the refinish, and a great shooter (after I replaced some worn trigger group parts that were allowing it to double).

For my second rifle I decided to try for something a little more collectible, so I ordered a Service Grade. Apparently they are slammed right now, because my order took 3.5 weeks to process. The rifle I ended up getting is another Springfield, pre-war mfg (Aug 1941), with an HRA barrel from '54 and a Winchester bolt. Sadly it's CMP wood instead of GI, but it's hard to be upset about that because the CMP wood is so nice.

I've had it to the range, and it functions fine and shoots decent. The best I was able to get out of it was 4moa, but the shooter definitely needs to be considered as a limiting factor there. I've gotten 2moa out of the Criterion-barreled special rack before, on a good day.

Overall another very nice rifle from the CMP. It's been interesting to compare the parts, as there are some notable differences between manufacturers...the IHC bolt for example shows much cleaner machining and finishing than the WRA one.

The "new" rifle is the one without the sling in the pics. If you've got Garands, or anything else form the CMP, feel free to post up some pics in this thread...I enjoy ogling!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Love the Garands. Congratulations on the new addition!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it awesome to hold a piece of history much less be able to use it.

It’s one of the things I like about firearms.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty nice looking one!

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite the allure and popularity of Winchester M1’s ( least amount made WWII production only plus the early pre war educational order) it is pretty well known they had the roughest machining and finishing of any of the makers. ( still perfectly functional of course) obviously unlike H&R and IHC most of which were produced after the Korean War ended so no war time production pressure, Winchester was cranking out functional rifles as fast as possible ( in addition to multiple other war production efforts)

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Despite the allure and popularity of Winchester M1’s ( least amount made WWII production only plus the early pre war educational order) it is pretty well known they had the roughest machining and finishing of any of the makers. ( still perfectly functional of course) obviously unlike H&R and IHC most of which were produced after the Korean War ended so no war time production pressure, Winchester was cranking out functional rifles as fast as possible ( in addition to multiple other war production efforts)

All true points to include making money on top of it. I have two Winnie M1’s. Compared to my two wartime Springfield’s and to a HRA they are rough.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn’t it awesome to hold a piece of history much less be able to use it.

Absolutely. Not just a piece of history, but a working, functional piece. I really wish there was a way to track where each s/n had been issued along the way...heck, I'd even find it interesting to know what foreign country my cmp rifles were brought back from...but even without that it's still pretty cool.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good timing. The CMP just put a halt on Service Grade Garand orders, until they can catch up on fulfilling current orders and processing/grading additional rifles.

So had you held off, you likely would have been waiting for longer than 3.5 weeks.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Good timing. The CMP just put a halt on Service Grade Garand orders, until they can catch up on fulfilling current orders and processing/grading additional rifles.

So had you held off, you likely would have been waiting for longer than 3.5 weeks.

When did that happen? I sent my packet off March 3rd, shows deleiverd March 15th. No emails or updates since. Figured it would be 3 months or so.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My bad ...it wasn't 3.5 weeks...it was 3.5 months.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
When did that happen? I sent my packet off March 3rd, shows deleiverd March 15th. No emails or updates since. Figured it would be 3 months or so.

They marked the Service Grades as "Sold Out" on 5/6/21. They're going to work on their backlog of existing orders.

They have plenty of rifles in the warehouse. It's just a slow process of unpacking/inspecting/grading. So you may still get your Service Grade... It just might be a while.

You might also get an email from the CMP at some point offering to swap for a Field Grade instead.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

They marked the Service Grades as "Sold Out" on 5/6/21. They're going to work on their backlog of existing orders.

They have plenty of rifles in the warehouse. It's just a slow process of unpacking/inspecting/grading. So you may still get your Service Grade... It just might be a while.

You might also get an email from the CMP at some point offering to swap for a Field Grade instead.

Or 3, one of which was an IH request Smile

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester only made 500,000 M1s during the war.They are a little rougher finish wise but fully functional.I have 2 Winchesters,nine Springfields and one H&R.I absolutely love shooting them all.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGMAN45:
Winchester only made 500,000 M1s during the war.They are a little rougher finish wise but fully functional.I have 2 Winchesters,nine Springfields and one H&R.I absolutely love shooting them all.

Yeah, for sure. It's just interesting to look at the machining and see how they opted to do things in a more expedient fashion, yet maintained the functionality of the parts. Kind of a cool look into the history of wartime production and how they tooled up to do what needed to be done in the most efficient way possible. I'm kind of glad mine are mixmasters, because while I can't afford a huge collection of Garands, at least this way at least I get to see some of the unique input from each manufacturer. I love shooting the M1, but the living history aspect of the guns is at least equally as enjoyable.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Got the email last week, my order was received and processed. I’d imagine I’ll see them in the next few weeks.

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I placed an order for another M1 in Late Oct / Early Nov and have not heard anything on my Garand.

I ordered some Match .223 from the CMP E-store in January and just got it last week.

I can't imagine how big the backlog must be. My brother is coming in town on the 4th of July and we plan on getting in some Garand shooting.

Few months ago I bought a CZ .22 rifle and now another one. Darn CZ .22's are as additive as M1's.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I placed an order for another M1 in Late Oct / Early Nov and have not heard anything on my Garand.

I ordered some Match .223 from the CMP E-store in January and just got it last week.

I can't imagine how big the backlog must be. My brother is coming in town on the 4th of July and we plan on getting in some Garand shooting.

Few months ago I bought a CZ .22 rifle and now another one. Darn CZ .22's are as additive as M1's.

I’d call them. My order was delivered on March 16th. Lots of guys who submitted their orders a few weeks ahead of me have received theirs. You are long overdue

posted Hide Post
Had a CMP Garland in 308 regret selling it every day. I purchased it because my dad had shot them while he was on the Navy rifle team. He always liked to tell me he never forgot the serial number of the one he was issued.

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Ordered this puppy back in November of 2020 and showed up today. 1952 era receiver by Springfield. New Barrel and new wood model Garand in 30-06. Can't wait to try this one out.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post