SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A/R mechanics: flash hider question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A/R mechanics: flash hider question Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Greetings all. I'm an A/R novice, so please consider that.

Is there a way to add 1/4" to the length of the flash hider at the bottom (on the barrel), not at the free end?

I have an Adams Armms 10.5" upper (piston) and trying to attach my suppressor, but the adj valve is too close - this is a quick connect for a Gem-tech - and that blocks the depth I need to attach. It's somewhat "springed" to go over the connect and rise back up.

Any other thoughts?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
???

Something like this

http://www.capitolarmory.com/1...mfire-extension.html

??

Or you can add spacers behind the flash hider.

I don't know if it will work since it's made for .22LR

But I'm sure someone out there makes an extension you can use.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add a washer? Or am I missing something?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Talk to gemtech before adding a washer. Practically speaking, it will give you the clearance to back the suppressor up, but if you do that, you are decreasing the surface area the suppressor has to thread onto the bbl.

If the suppressor does not shoulder properly or wobbles, you could get a baffle strike.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I think what you're looking for is a thread adapter that goes from 1/2-28 to 1/2-28. They are out there, but the cheapest one I had been able to find was over 80 bucks, so I scrapped the idea. Not only was it prohibitively expensive, the chance of inducing a non concentric error just seemed too great to me. So, that gun remains unsuppressed. Buying a longer barrel might be your best bet.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Adco makes a 0.25" spacer

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to be some pics up for a better presentation, but I'll be out for the next two days.

The riser seems to be a workable solution.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Depending on how the suppressor interfaces with the back of the flash hider you might have to find a small diameter washer/spacer to get the space you need. I’d be worried about how much thread length I’d be loosing for the FH to thread on to.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post