SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can we talk PDW stocks/braces?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we talk PDW stocks/braces? Login/Join 
Picture of KHolm
posted
I’ve never owned own, and never really had interest until lately with the rush of PDW stocks and braces hitting the market. I was reluctant due to the proprietary BCG requirements with most. I found an excellent deal on the MVB ARC and thought I’d give it a shot. Granted, cheek weld isn’t the greatest, but length of pull was right in my sweet spot, plus the advantage of a shorter OAL. The build quality of this component is stellar and I’m digging the multi-positional function and rear release button. Not to mention I can use my JP BCG. Install was about 3 minutes and honestly, I’m quite happy with it and it functions flawlessly.

This guy is currently in transition to a 14.5” Faxon pinned FH barrel to bring down the length a little bit more and lighten up, so to speak since the Noveske N4 is substantially heavier. Pretty excited to shoot it once my FFL gets it finished up.

Anyone else utilizing PDW stocks and braces and what are your thoughts? For my pistol build I’m still torn due to the weight of PDW braces and may end up going SBA3.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One thing for folks who are considering trying PDW-style stocks (as well as pistol braces) is that a lot of these stocks have a shorter length of pull than a more traditional AR stock, and the normal pistol grip angle usually isn't ideal for short LOPs.

As a result, in addition to swapping the stock, you may need to look into installing one of the more vertical pistol grips too, like the Magpul K-series grips or similar. They will put the wrist back into a more natural position, when it's held closer to your chest than usual due to the shorter LOP.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
One thing for folks who are considering trying PDW-style stocks is that a lot of these stocks have a shorter length of pull than a more traditional AR stock, and the normal pistol grip angle usually isn't ideal for short LOPs.

As a result, in addition to swapping the stock, you may need to look into installing one of the more vertical pistol grips too, like the Magpul K-series grips or similar. They will put the wrist back into a more natural position, when it's held closer to your chest than usual due to the shorter LOP.

Great point. The BCM grip on it works well, though I did order a K2+ to replace it. Failed to mention that.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have the SIG Brace on my AR pistol build. I use the LAW Tactical folding brace. Works great and I can put it in a medium backpack.

AR Pistol Unfolded, right by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Folded Stock Adaptor w/o sling. by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve always had the Magpul K grips on my SBRs.

I grabbed a Strike Industries Viper PDW stock on sale and like it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post