SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fat Man Hex Brake 5.56, any one running one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fat Man Hex Brake 5.56, any one running one? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I ordered a Fat Man Hex Brake made by Phase 5 Weapon Systems for a AR pistol build. It came today and Is it big, yes. I liked that it has ports all the way around it and it also has front facing ports. I did mention it is big, right? Anybody else have one?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running?..........Running?

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it, but it looks pretty cool - how's the fireball??

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
223 muzzle brake comparison

According to this test, the fatman performed roughly middle of the pack.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Let me re-phrase, does anyone have a Hexbrake installed on their AR15?

I have not shot it yet, It may have a fireball. I bought it for a pistol, but it may not clear the handguard, the threads start in side about 1 1/8th inch so it partially shrouds the barrel. My hanguard is on it's way so I don't know if it will work. I may end up with it on a rifle.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I liked that it has ports all the way around it and it also has front facing ports.

I've been around a lot of brakes, and own two that stand alone and another 2 or 3 that are QD attachments for a suppressor.

IMO ports all the way around aren't the most practical design. If your shooting position is close to the ground, the downward port kicks up dirt. From a recoil mitigation standpoint, at least they designed it so there are opposing up and down ports. This keeps the barrel from moving one up or down. Sideways ports are the way most designers use for recoil mitigation. Look at what the military uses for tanks and howitzers.

Forward facing ports don't really have a function, IMO. You're just directing the blast forward -- kind of what a barrel does anyway.

I don't normally see fireballs from brakes -- at least in the way we see them from bare muzzles. Sure, a brake isn't a flash hider, but they generally reduce the fireball that we often see in night-time shooting. Bare eyes in daylight, most brakes produce a noticeable white to gray cloud of gas. It generally takes a well-timed camera to see a flash during the day.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Here’s my old AAC brake. It’s the one with sides and top holes. This was the first test of my new upper back then while waiting for the suppressor stamp. Talk about muzzle flash.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
223 muzzle brake comparison

According to this test, the fatman performed roughly middle of the pack.

That is good info, I do have a rifle with the Titan SJC which placed number 1 in his comparison. I will agree, it is the best brake or comp that I have. I have it on a rifle with 18 inch fluted barrel. The next shot is always easy to line up quickly!

Beth Greene

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Fritz, I kind of mispoke about the ports, they are only side ports but they go all the way to the bottom with the under side not ported. I do agree with all you said! Other people shooting comps and brakes is why I now wear double hearing protection.

Beth Greene

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
That is some fire you got there Chowser. I misread your post the first time LOL, I thought mabe you had some vertebrae fused or something and you were testing your ability to shoot!

Beth Greene

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So it's gimmick is it's big for no other reason than to be big?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I went the range today, I didn't think about it until I was there that I should have put it on a rifle and tried it. I want to go back tomorrow and try it. Maybe I'll bring my rifle with the Titan SJC and compare.

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Size does not necessarily equate to brake efficiency. Two small brakes are among the most effective -- the little bastard and the Thunderbeast can adapter. JP's brake is huge and it is among the most effective.