SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Surefire brake.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Surefire brake. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I wanted to get a brake to replace a flash hider. I had previously bought an ALG brake and was happy with it but it seems they are discontinued.

So, I went with another name brand - bought just on brand alone with 4th sales going on right now.

I decided to look for reviews even though I was committed. Saw a review by Jerry Smile Sounds like I bought something decent. There may be better ones now but this should suit my needs.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=10567

I bought the non-suppressor version - should be similarly effective I guess.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the one you've linked, but I have fired their WarComp and that muzzle device is stellar! Especially on FA.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Surefire's brakes and flash hiders, used as SOCOM suppressor mounts. On their own, the brakes are loud and effective at reducing recoil.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have Surefire's brakes and flash hiders, used as SOCOM suppressor mounts. On their own, the brakes are loud and effective at reducing recoil.

Agree with the above. But they can be a bear to time properly. The 2 SOCOM's I mounted came with a spacer and shims of different color which designated different thickness. First the spacer is installed. Then you hand tighten the brake to the spacer. Based on the position of the brake relative to the correct timing there is a diagram in the shape of a wheel, I called it the Wheel of Misery, Based on how your brake's position compared to the wheel diagram a set of spacers is recommended. Problem is it didn't work. Both sets of spacers I received were out of spec compared to the thickness they should have been so it was trial and error. I contacted Surefire and they sent me 2 new sets of spacers, same problem. Combining the 2 sets of spacers for each brake I finally got the brakes timed. This was about 6 or so years ago so maybe the spacer problem has been corrected by now.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a blast from the past of the MSW days. I'm still a big fan of the brake you purchased. The rifle in the picture is fast with that brake on it.

Let us know how well you like it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s going on a BCM light keymod 16” midlength.

I’m sure it’ll be fine with all the favorable reviews as well as the nod from Jerry. Smile

I bought a pack of shims too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post