SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 556 scope-mounting options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 556 scope-mounting options Login/Join 
posted
So, I have a 556 Classic with the rail-mount Diopter rear sight installed. It is an amazing shooter with iron sights, so I wanted to see what it would do with a scope. I bought a Primary Arms 1-6x with ACSS reticle. I'm looking for mounting options, preferably without removing the diopter. (Although, as I'm looking at it, I can't imagine how this could be accomplished without raising the scope waaaaaaay too high for a reasonable cheek weld.)

If I have to remove the diopter, I will, but wondering if others have discovered another solution??

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
I am using the American Defense Recon H for 30mm tube. The cheek riser is necessary to achieve a wield.

Posts: 544 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I had a scope on a low-mount and it worked fine. Scope is sub-optimal unless you get a flip down front sight though

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will see what I have for rings, and test with and without the diopter sight.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

posted Hide Post
Burris pepr.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle with their mount. Nice set up nothing in the way of operations of the rifle. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The true question remains..... What are you trying accomplish. Not here to rain on anyone's parade.

If the intent is to have a scope - mount the scope and remove the hard sights. In my years of instructing, competitions, and shooting, I've never had the thought of "dang, if I had my hard sights I could hit that target at 400yds".

One of the few places hard sights are useful is on a CQB rifle with a red dot. Then, we can open the can of worms with true co-witness or lower 1/3. Sidestepping this true life changing conundrum, folding sights will function best and keep the optic clear.

Configure the rifle how you intend to use it. Not for the hope of a zombie apocalypse or galloping hordes of invaders from far off lands. All these items are easily removable/replaceable with the simple turn of a driver.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

As to the true purpose? I guess I don't have one. I got the 556 because I've always admired the 55X series rifles (which is why I chose the Classic), and getting one in the US relatively easily which also takes Stanag mags made it a no-brainer. Once I tried the trigger and shot it, I began wondering just how accurate it could be, taking a couple variables out (my eyesight and shooting positions), so, putting the glass on here is mostly a test to see what I do want to prioritize the rifle for. If it shoots bug-hole groups off the bench with a scope, it might permanently keep the scope and be used in our clubs military rifle match, for prairie dogs, and enjoyment at the range. If it does not, then I suppose the scope comes off and diopter goes back on and it's "just" a very nice modern battle rifle.

---------

posted Hide Post
As you're going for accuracy, mount the scope low to get a proper cheek weld. Remove the diopter.

Your plan to revert to original condition is good if it doesn't perform.

Best of Luck.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expect 2 to 3 inch groups at 100yds.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Expect 2 to 3 inch groups at 100yds.

I'm already getting that with iron sights and my bifocal glasses... If it is that poor with the scope too, I'll definitely go back to the diopter.

---------

posted Hide Post

This was my patrol swat. I had a 1x4 on it. Everything from 55grn to single loading 70, 75 grn bullets. It never got any better.

It was simply a battle capable rifle. Some would call that minute of man.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Just remove the diopter to scope as you wish. If you want versatility use QR scope mounts and keep the diopter handy.

Also wanted to mention that several of the models had receivers with a popsicle stick rear sight in the rail. They made quite a few sight and receiver changes w/o rhyme or reason, just look. If so equipped you have your back up ready.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
You could also replace the front sight with a Samson or Midwest Industries front folding sight and a BUIS of same or different brand for the rear.

I have one of the Bushnell AR 3-9x in a Burris PEPR mount with a Samson folding front and a Troy folding rear.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Just remove the diopter to scope as you wish. If you want versatility use QR scope mounts and keep the diopter handy.

Also wanted to mention that several of the models had receivers with a popsicle stick rear sight in the rail. They made quite a few sight and receiver changes w/o rhyme or reason, just look. If so equipped you have your back up ready.

Yep, mine has the popsicle stick folder. Mine is very difficult to access. My buddy's has a little tab which makes it easy to flip up...

---------