SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bushmaster M17s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushmaster M17s Login/Join 
Questions = Harassment
posted
I have always wanted one since they hit the market many years ago. They kind of fell off my radar. Recently found one local, and it is unfired, except the 10rnds from factory test. It is a Gen 2 Postban gun.
I picked it up for no specific purpose, but am thinking: "Should I go shoot the hell out of it, or stick it in the back of the safe?"
Not really looking to spend the coin to customize it, I like the original lines. They were made down the road from my house when I lived in Maine.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Neat! I been fighting the impulse to try to pick one up ever since I discovered the Armalite 180B didn't quite float my boat. Still, I'd go ahead and shoot the snot out of it thing if only because the poor thing's been deprived. Now that standards have moved on somewhat (I hear those barrels are optimized for 55-grain bullets), I'd love to see Windham (as is) take another crack at the basic design.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d go ahead and shoot it. I had one years ago, when they first came out in the pre-ban days. Wasn’t impressed as I had a AUG-SA at the time, and got rid of the M17 pretty quickly.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to look up K&M Arms and check bullpupforum.com

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle and I've only ever seen one or two for sale in the wild. I'd go ahead and shoot it at least a couple thousand rounds to see what it can do.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I think I will take it with me today and hit the range.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I’d go ahead and shoot it. I had one years ago, when they first came out in the pre-ban days. Wasn’t impressed as I had a AUG-SA at the time, and got rid of the M17 pretty quickly.

Same here except I've had 3-4 of them ... the last one I got for $500 and did some K&M upgrades on it.
I'm not really one for the forward grip, but that aluminum housing does get hot after a few rounds, so their short picitinny rail on bottom with a grip and an long one on top for a scope mount and their cocking arm ... took it to a machinist and he cut down the barrel to 16" and some cooling slots.

Still didn't measure up to my AUG. I put it on the table at a gunshow with a price I didn't think anyone would pay, but I was wrong.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a firearm auction a week ago in Indianapolis and there was one of these in that auction. They also had a 901 series Aug that didn't have the donut of death scope. it had some other standard scope mounted to it

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
There was a firearm auction a week ago in Indianapolis and there was one of these in that auction. They also had a 901 series Aug that didn't have the donut of death scope. it had some other standard scope mounted to it

And the rest of the story ???
(we at least need to know what they sold for!)

posted Hide Post
I didn’t pay too much attention since I didn’t go to the auction. I just checked it out online. It seems like the bushmaster went for around $800 + buyers premium. The Aug I think went for about $1800 but I had never seen one with a regular scope in place of the original. There also was a Valmet bull pup. I forgot what it went for

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks ... curious minds just need to know!

I'd be a little petered if I had a preban AUG SA that went for as little as $1800, the A3 is really suppressing prices ... unfortunately they aren't as smooth as the preban or A2's, its like comparing a Swiss 55X to the 556, yeah, they look the same, but Frown

posted Hide Post
OK just found sell prices at auction. Among other things......
Uzi Model A - $1200
ArmaLite AR-10(T) - $850
Colt Sporter - $900
Colt Sporter Match - $1000
ArmaLite M15A4 - $925
BFI Mod 17S - $575
Valmet M82 - $2000
Steyr Aug - $1700

posted Hide Post
That Model A, sounds like someone got a really good deal,depending on condition. I had bought a M17s years ago but didn't have the same feel as my ar-15 and I bought it on a whim. They were cheap then, about $450.00 barely used. It is quite a different critter but at the time, it was the cheapest compact rifle I could afford.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I 'got the same old tired story. Had one. Liked it. Bought an AUG-SA. Sold the M17s. Never looked back.

The bullpup design has evolved beyond the M17s. If I had one today, I'd either shoot the snot out of it or relegate it to safe queen status as a reference piece.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post