SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka t3x as the base for a customized rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka t3x as the base for a customized rifle? Login/Join 
posted
I recently grabbed a t3x ultralite in 6.5cm because I got it on sale, ordered it through sportsman’s warehouse and picked it up, I paid 650.00 for it so good deal which was the reason I got it.

My dad went over to sportsman’s (in another town) but found out they only do the sales online so the rifle I got was normal list price in store. However they were selling the blued t3x lites for 499 well my dad bought one for himself....and one for me.

So I’m in a dilemma, I really appreciate that my dad did that for me, I just don’t have the heart to tell him that I ha e absolutely zero interest in a blued tikka and that if it were me, I would t purchase it for even half that price he paid.

Where I live it rains all the time so I just have no use for blued guns, I suppose I could use it as a range gun but I simply just don’t like this rifle and as it sits I don’t want to spend any money to get it set up for shooting the way it is.

So I’m wondering if I should just sit on it and never use it, or make some upgrades to it so it’s more usable for me (cerscoat, etc). Or if I should drop it into a chassis or something and just overhaul it until the only thing I’m actually using is the action.

To be honest, I’m not a huge tikka fan although I don’t hate them, there’s just other stuff I like better, I gust got the t3x sl due to the sale and the fact I wanted a 6.5. Now I have 2 t3x rifles in 6.5, not sure what to do, I don’t have the heart to tell my dad how I feel about this gun since it was a gift and he was excited to give it to me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Send it to ROBAR and have it NP3'd. Now you have a nice backup or what a while and sell your SL.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Send it to ROBAR and have it NP3'd. Now you have a nice backup or what a while and sell your SL.

Thats certainly one great idea, I'll absolutely look into that. I was looking onto some ceracoat places too but I don't know much about ceracoat.

I hope I don't come across as ungrateful, its just that a blued plastic Tikka is about the bottom of my list for things I'd want, I'm still sort of shocked that he would have bought that for me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looked at Robars price list, wow they are proud of that NP3. At 470.00 thats only 29.00 less than what was paid for this rifle.

I have a feeling this rifle either going to collect dust in the closet.

posted Hide Post
Try Birdsong's finishes. I just had a stainless rifle done in their Tac-Ops Green-T finish. You won't find a friendlier, family run business, either.

https://black-t.com/

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by US_P225:
Try Birdsong's finishes. I just had a stainless rifle done in their Tac-Ops Green-T finish. You won't find a friendlier, family run business, either.

https://black-t.com/

Thanks, I’ll check them out. I’ve also looked at several other cerakote places but I’m not really finding white what I wanted. It surprises me there’s still a market for fugly blued plastic rifles, surprised even more that I have one sitting here in front of me.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What about our own CCR? Everyone speaks highly of their refinishing services. He is always in the classifieds.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...130066144#5130066144

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Just looked at Robars price list, wow they are proud of that NP3. At 470.00 thats only 29.00 less than what was paid for this rifle.

I have a feeling this rifle either going to collect dust in the closet.

You have to use it fully appreciate it. I wait for their monthly sales and usually get 10% off. Regular NP3 is only 370.00. I'm not saying NP3+ isn't worth the extra 100.00, I've just never tried it and have no issues with the regular NP3. So with the monthly special its jsut over 300....but again, its hard to appreciate NP3 until you've owned a gun with that finish.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wax it and don't use it when it's really really nasty. Just appreciate it for what it is and that is a gift. I grew up duck hunting in Arkansas at a time every gun was wood and blued then. They got wet every hunt too. At least yours is synthetic. We just kept them oiled good and cleaned when you got home.

For a bolt rifle take it out of the stock and wax it well and put it back together. As long as you don't dunk it you should be able to keep it nice without too much work.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ntative-76-oz-liquid

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post