SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best set up for a red dot on a Ruger mini 30?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best set up for a red dot on a Ruger mini 30? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
The factory ghost ring is not my favorite. Any suggestions for an upgrade and what and how are you mounting a red dot?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Ultimak rails/mounts. http://ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second that

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thirdeded.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I really like the Ultimak rails/mounts. http://ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm

These are the way to go.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ultimak on mine as well.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
What red dot are y’all mounting? I hate to put a $600 T1 on it but I don’t want anything big to upset the balance and handiness.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
What red dot are y’all mounting? I hate to put a $600 T1 on it but I don’t want anything big to upset the balance and handiness.

Mine has a Primary Arms micro red dot.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a Vortex SPARC AR?

I love that it takes a AAA battery.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
I love that it takes a AAA battery.

Back when optic batteries were tougher to find, that would have been a big selling point. But nowadays, things like CR123 and CR2032 batteries are easily located and relatively inexpensive, at least online.

Personally, I keep a pack of CR2032s on hand, because they're used not only by a number of my micro red dots (including Aimpoints and others), but also by my car key fobs and garage door openers.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sig Romeo 5 can be found on sale for $120 on Amazon, that's what I paid for mine...

Great little red dot clear as can be even with my astigmatism and it's has MOTAC and multiple settings 8 daylight, 2 night and two mounts, low and high...

Link

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, you don't want to use something like that Romeo 5 or Sparc AR, since those have integral AR-height risers. It will be way too tall for the Ultimak on a Mini (or any other rifle with a drop comb stock).

You will want the optic as low as possible on the Ultimak, similar to the sightline of the iron sights. Like the rifle in my first post. Otherwise, you won't be able to get a proper cheek weld.

To do this, you need a micro red dot with a low/flush mount, either one with a detachable base installed on a separate low mount, or even better would be one with an integral low mount built into the optic.

Here are some example photos. AR-height mounts on the left... Low mounts on the right:

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find an example on a Mini, but here's what I'm talking about, with an AR-height red dot mounted on an Ultimak on an AK (which also has a drop comb stock and necessitates a low mount for the optic).

Notice how the shooter is having to drop the buttstock towards his armpit, and he's barely getting a chin weld. Not conducive to accuracy at all.

Compare with:

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Is there a dependable red dot/mount that attaches to ONE of the Ruger Ranch Rifle mounting points?

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Is there a dependable red dot/mount that attaches to ONE of the Ruger Ranch Rifle mounting points?
if you mean ONLY one, I don't think so. But the GGG mount uses the Ruger clamping points.

Fits the Burris Fastfire footprint. Don't over tighten the mounting screws as they're steel screws threaded into aluminum.

ETA: looks like they have a picatinny version now also

https://www.gggaz.com/ruger-mi...nts-and-mini-14.html

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3180 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great info. Thanks!

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My set up. It's an Amiga mount with a Comp M2.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post