SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are American Tactical ARs quality products?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are American Tactical ARs quality products? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Someone wants to trade me one for my HBAR in old style Vietnam era configuration I really don’t need a carry handle and the AT is a flat top. I’d like to have a one for a red dot sight.
Enlighten me please.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
In my opinion it’s a one sided trade and your pulling the short straw. If what you have is a bonafide Colt HBAR those are selling at a premium. You could probably buy two or three of the AT AR’s for the selling price of the Colt. Thing is Colt isn’t selling AR’s to the general public now and you have the recent gun run due to the pandemic. The high card is in your hand. I wouldn’t do that trade.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
is your gun a Colt? If so, it's not even remotely a fair trade. ATI's are low end rifles.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above, take a look at HBARs on gunbroker for a price. The ATIs seem to list between 4-700.

If you want a flat top you get a replacement upper for your HBAR.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The lower part is stamped HBAR but it has the Vietnam style furniture with a 1-12 twist barrel. So, I have a feeling it’s a Franken rifle. Did they even have HBARs with a 1-12 barrels during the Vietnam era?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not sure, photos of what you have will tell the tale. Even so, if it is Colt in any regard, it's worth far more than an American Tactical AR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ATI ARs are the lowest priced factory built ARs you can buy. Prior to the recent panic buying they sold for $350. If it is the polymer lower version run away.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't trade it.
Especially if it's a Colt.

If you want a flat-top AR, just wait. I have a feeling that around fall, a lot of people who panic-bought $1200 AR's in March will be trying to sell them in November to get $ for Christmas.
You'll probably be able to get one for $8-900 then.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't even think it will be that long - likely another 4-8 weeks if the economy stays dormant.

People with stacks of rifles will start letting them out to sell when it comes time to feed the family / buy more TP.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Rhino. I’d be willing to trade a couple of rolls of TP for a flat top. Smile
In the meantime, I’ll hang on to the safe queen.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
The lower part is stamped HBAR but it has the Vietnam style furniture with a 1-12 twist barrel. So, I have a feeling it’s a Franken rifle. Did they even have HBARs with a 1-12 barrels during the Vietnam era?

What is the barrel profile? Is it a heavy barrel?

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I don’t know CD228, what would the OD of a heavy be?

Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
Our Pre-Ban Vietnam era AR-15 Colts are so close to the M-16 warriors. The early AR-15 rifles with Colt carry handle scopes are valuable. The Left/Democrats claimed these Colts were too easily converted to "machine guns",. They also spit on returning Vets.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That rifle could be very valuable.

There is a HUGE market for original retro parts right now.

A Vietnam era 1-12 or 1-14 barrel can bring big money.

If I were you, I wouldn't even consider trading it for an ATI, which is not known as a premium maker of AR15s.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you can email picture to me, I will put them on a photo hosting service for you if you are not familiar with how to do it.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

You could have a very valuable early upper that somehow made it's way onto an HBAR lower.

Even if it is a 'frankenrifle' of sorts that doesn't mean that it isn't still valuable.

Please share pictures in some way and we can identify what it is that you have.

Even if you never plan to sell it, you would at least then know what you have.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel stamped with anything?

C MP Chrome Bore

?

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t see anything Indiana. Talked to the guy that put it together. The barrel is a surplus barrel chambered for 5.56. The lower is Colt made. The upper is a who knows what.
This morning, I noticed some sort of an attachment that fits in front of the carry handle that looks like a place to mount my red dot sight. May not need a flat top after all. I never noticed it before. I bought it during the last recession from someone who needed cash more than the rifle. I hate to admit it, but I’ve never fired it. Too many other projects got in the way.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The OD will be about approximately .750-.8 IIRC

I generally look at the barrel and usually the heavy barrel's diameter is consistent from the base to under the FSB and to the muzzle. You might see some step downs depending on who made it.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If it has Vietnam era furniture and a 1/12” twist rate, I suspect it is a pencil barrel upper on an HBAR lower. I’m not familiar with any HBAR barrels with that slow a twist rate. Regardless, the lower with no upper attached is probably worth more than the other rifle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post