SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Had 870's. Now have a Maverick Serbu, and 835 field/hunting gun.
But, GarandGuy, do tell what you have? I can always use another.......

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raptor
posted Hide Post
If looking at the short 14-inch Mossberg 590 Shockwave vs Remington 870 Tac-14 models, I like that the Mossberg holds one more round....5+1 compared to the 870's 4+1.

Posts: 25 | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I passed on a Mossberg 500 20 gauge yesterday that was on sale. The tang safety was just too hard to push. I'd already dealt with that on a 410. I bought a Maverick 88 20 gauge instead.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I did it. I've crossed over. Purchased a used 590A1 and I'm digging it. Hoping to try it out this Saturday.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
I did it. I've crossed over. Purchased a used 590A1 and I'm digging it. Hoping to try it out this Saturday.

Excellent. You’ll never regret the switch

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

870's are great shotguns

Were. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the Mossy control layout and much prefer having the shell elevator out of the way. However... I picked up both the 590 & 870 magazine fed models and thought the 870 was less clunky.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:

Since I last posted in this thread I picked up a 590 Shockwave. I definitely prefer the safety location on the Mossberg to the 870 with that grip.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Pale Horse, since my May post I picked up a 590 too. The 20" Tactical Tri-rail model, ghost rings, with Accu-choke. I screwed in an Improved Cylinder tube, vice the Cylinder one.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I have both. I am left handed, too. I like the 870 police action better, but the Mossberg tang safety is easier to operated than the remngton, at least for a lefty.

I got used to reaching under the trigger guard and pushing off the RH safety of pumps.
Then I bought a LH 870...it took a couple of hunting trips to learn if you do that when a quail flushes, the safety is still on. Red Face
The 500 safety is just in the right place for a whole lot of folks. (w/o pistol grip stocks)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have a 500 I've never even shot...

I think it's been in there 2 years now. Still has the sticker on the stock.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you are well trained and used to an 870, making the transition to a Mossberg will be hard. I've tried the 500/590 over the years and I always go back to my beloved 870. Well actually, these days the 870P is in the safe and I depend on a Benelli M2 tactical, but thats another story.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post