SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590 Login/Join 
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
We went 590’s years ago. Last count we had about 400 in the field with zero malfunctions.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have had both and it is tough to say which is better. I ended up selling the only 590 I had but only because one of the 870s was the first gun I ever owned and a gift from my father. I figured there was no need for me to own multiple SD shotguns and since I had an 870 I was never getting rid of I kept the 870 SD gun too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Mossberg, I've shot a couple and wasn't a huge fan of the way they felt in the hand, but that's because I grew up on my grandfather's 870 Wingmaster, early 70's production and was very used to it.

That said, I have actually encountered a total stoppage with it, in the field hunting. I was shooting crows that were eating up the neighboring farm's corn field, and somehow, when cranking off a few loads of 8's at some I scared up close, a fresh shell got lodged between the lifter and the bolt, and jammed that gun up completely solid inoperable. I had to trudge back to the house, drive out the pins for the trigger group and carefully pry the whole mess loose before the action would unlock and I could eject the spent hull.

It sorta took the sheen off the 870 for me, just a little bit. I've been thinking about picking up an Ithaca 37 or Mossberg 590 just for giggles lately.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I totally get it. If I had to buy the gun again in 1987 (when I got my first 870), I'd buy the Remington over the Mossberg every time - without question. In those days it was head and shoulders the better gun.

For buying current production, I'd choose a Mossberg over anything Remington makes. The Mossberg didn't suddenly get better. It's very much the gun it was in those days, the Remington got worse.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I've never owned a Mossberg, I've shot a couple and wasn't a huge fan of the way they felt in the hand, but that's because I grew up on my grandfather's 870 Wingmaster, early 70's production and was very used to it.

That said, I have actually encountered a total stoppage with it, in the field hunting. I was shooting crows that were eating up the neighboring farm's corn field, and somehow, when cranking off a few loads of 8's at some I scared up close, a fresh shell got lodged between the lifter and the bolt, and jammed that gun up completely solid inoperable. I had to trudge back to the house, drive out the pins for the trigger group and carefully pry the whole mess loose before the action would unlock and I could eject the spent hull.

It sorta took the sheen off the 870 for me, just a little bit. I've been thinking about picking up an Ithaca 37 or Mossberg 590 just for giggles lately.

Did you have the flex tab lifter or the old style?

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I have to join the part on being left handed and that 500 working better.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm not even a lefty but still prefer the location of the Mossberg safety.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remmy controls just feel unnatural. I must prefer the mossberg.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I'm not even a lefty but still prefer the location of the Mossberg safety.

Same here. I’m a 590 guy for the safety alone. The safety on my Beretta A400’s is my second favorite location.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I had all Mossberg 500's, then dumped them all after I got an 870 Wingmaster police trade in. Ended up with all Wingmasters after that. But the Mossbergs are just TOO affordable and utilitarian to not have around. Have two or three in the stable now and one next to the bed. I will also echo, the safety position is a plus.

Never cared for the 590. Great gun, but too unwieldy for HD. Same reason I shed the Benelli's. 6 rounds of buckshot is probably going to be ample for anything I run up against.

Hunting barrels are everywhere an in all configurations. Have those for bird hunting.

Since you are left handed, Mossberg is the way to go.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The 870 is a better gun than the 500, but the 590 is better than both for SD. I don't know specifically about the newer 870's, except that I agree that I'm not fond of them. But if you're going to use a 500 for SD, replace the polymer trigger group with a mossy manufacture aluminum trigger group. The polymer version can shear out of the receiver at any moment and stop the gun dead in its tracks. Also replace the plastic tang safety with an aluminum mossy or aftermarket version. And, if you're going to do all that to a 500, just buy a 590 instead and call it done, since those parts are already aluminum in the 590, and I don't think a heavy wall 590 barrel will fit a 500 receiver, but I'm not positive. That heavy walled 590 barrel is sweet.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I have to join the part on being left handed and that 500 working better.

I have an old LH 870 (and LH 11-87) and a Mossberg 500.
The 500 is the bedside gun only because if I use it, it goes to the police evidence room.
The safety is never used. It sits in "cruiser ready" mode.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I’m lefty when it comes to long guns (handguns righty, weird I know) and l much prefer the Mossberg platform. I love the 590A1.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of making the switch also; but I'd like a matte/parkerized 590 with the handguard. Which they don't make, and the Mossberg handguards aren't for the 590A1 or ghost sight barrels per the website. Anyone know if an aftermarket handguard for the A1 exists? Thanks!

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Mossbergs are dandy. Police trade ins aren't actually used that much.

Go for it.

I picked up a police trade in 870 police mag with a Knoxx stock and Surefire fore end for $350

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The older Remington 870P and 870 Wingmaster are a completely different breed than of those manufactured today. Even the early 870 Express was a better product than any of those made today.

I had the opportunity to attend several Armorer classes at the New York Factory in the 80s and 90’s. The Police models were assembled in a different area and had several different/additional performance checks.

The early Express models were only different in that several external finish steps were eliminated and a matte finish applied. The internal parts used to assemble them were taken from the same parts bins as the commercial 870’s.

All that changed when powdered metal technology (MIM) became an economical option.

In addition to the use of MIM parts, several finish steps and processes were eliminated or modified, leading to the the 870 currently available.

At my last class at the factory I noticed a change in the workforce as well. Many of the older experienced staff were gone. That could be a factor as well.

Compare an old 2 3/4 chambered discount store 870 to one today. The action on the old one feels like it is on ball bearings and the new one feels like there is gravel in the action. The finish is not even comparable.

I have two older 870Ps and a Mossberg 590A1. I am not a fan of the current 870, but if you can find an earlier model that the serial number does not contain “RS”, it should be a keeper.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out on the 590. I got started on them when I was in the Marines, and that was the shotgun that was issued. I had never really shot a lot before I went into the service, so getting used to the controls on the 590 was easy. However, going from a 590 to an 870 is hard! Remington put all of their controls in the wrong spot Smile

I do have an 870 that I shoot sometimes. It is a good gun, but just doesn't work out for me as well as the Mossberg does.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a 590 for almost 20 years on patrol. It will keyhole slugs at 50 yards with the new reduced recoil tactical loads. Buckshot goes into one hole at 15 yards, looks like a wadding strike. The 590 is my pick because of the metal trigger guard, most late model 870s have plastic, the sights, the safety and of course the accuracy.
I've never owned a 500 but have owned several 870s. The 590 is made for hard use, just keeps going.

Posts: 114 | Registered: February 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A third option:
Benelli Nova Tactical.
I have one and love it. The forearm mounted shell stop button is a nice feature.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
The 500 series is easier to load.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post