SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Migrating from the 870 to the 500/590 Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I currently own Remington 870's. Those are the pump actions I was instructed as a wee lad that every God fearing patriot should own and love. Mossberg was out of the question. Fast forward 15 years and I find myself possibly going astray. We got a bumper crop of LE trade in Mossberg's at work and the more I hold them the more I like them. Is this heresy? Am I an adulterer? I wired backwards and operate with the left hand. I find the top tang safety easier to manipulate and the same goes for the pump release. Any other converts here?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've got a 500 that is more than 20 years old and it just does what it is supposed to do.

I don't shoot it much since I picked up an auto, but my Dad bought it for me so it comes out to bird hunt every once in a while.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Blondes . . . . or Redheads . . . . Why YES!!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have both. Prefer the Remington.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
I’ve switched to the 590a1 (14” bead sight and a 20” ghost ring sight) from my 870’s. I find (my opinion) the Mossberg to to be of better quality and have more robust parts.

The only reason to choose an 870 that I can see is if one wants a pistol grip stock. At that point, the trigger guard location of the 870 safety works better with a pistol grip.

If the Mossberg you get has a bead front sight get this Tritium bead

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am an 870 enthusiast. But the Mossberg is also a time proven gun. Even the cheapie Maverick is a good gun.
And the safety position on the receiver top is a great idea.
Buy the Mossberg.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mossbergs are dandy. Police trade ins aren't actually used that much.

Go for it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an 870 guy, but I'd grab a 590 for a reasonable price. The 590s and 500s have both seen military service and Mossberg quality is generally good and their prices usually make them an excellent value.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started many years back with 870 variants. My latest is a 590 Shockwave... you will be ok!

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had the 870. I bought a 835 Mossberg for my son for Christmas because he is left handed. Both guns work as advertised.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
use what work for you,
if the 500 is less challenging for a lefty, then get that 500

870's are great shotguns, and so are 500's,

(says the guy that has a Winchester defender and High Standard Riot,,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just buy the Mossy, you know you want to. It can keep your 870 company. Then you can start lusting over the brand new 590M which is the new double stack magazine fed 590 they announced at shot show. Looks crazy awesome.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have both. I'm a lefty and way prefer the mossberg.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have both. I am left handed, too. I like the 870 police action better, but the Mossberg tang safety is easier to operated than the remngton, at least for a lefty. a
Having said that, I don't much care which one i am using at any given moment.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have both and for my purposes it dosent matter which one I use. I really honestly have no preference.

Both mine are the mariners and they go out on my snow machine or skiff/raft I just grab whichever one happens to be on the outside of the stack of guns by the door when I head out.

I also have a weatherby pa-o8 which was a sweet score for 289.00, I actually really like it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I have both. I am left handed, too. I like the 870 police action better, but the Mossberg tang safety is easier to operated than the remngton, at least for a lefty. a
Having said that, I don't much care which one i am using at any given moment.
Just thought I'd mention; I have a left handed safety on my 870. I bought it used many years ago so I don't know who made it. I have got used to it, so I never changed it out.
Someone out there makes them, I guess.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 590 and much prefer it to the 870, primarily because it has a tang safety, ghost ring sight, and it shoots very well.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also went from years of using the 870 to a mossberg 590. I prefer tang safety and ease of loading the magazine w/o pushing up on the lifter.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Strongly prefer the 590. But I shoot lefty. The bolt release is in a vastly superior position regardless. I also like that there's no elevator to move out of the way to load.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3186 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm also left-handed & the Mossberg suits me better as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post