SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on Nikon Monarch 5 2-10x42 ED?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Nikon Monarch 5 2-10x42 ED? Login/Join 
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted
I just pulled the trigger on a Nikon Monarch 5 2-10x42 ED Advanced BDC Riflescope.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMX9AU8/

I couldn't find any reviews online for either the 42mm or 50mm. Right now there are a few 3rd party sellers on Amazon selling it for around $380, which is a great deal. It will sit on top of my new Tikka T3x Lite SS 308 for mostly 50-150yard hunting, so no need for a huge scope. I probably could have gone even smaller and lighter but I want to push it out further occasionally at the range to see what the rifle and I are capable of doing.

This is my first quality scope so help me decide if saving $200 with the 42mm objective vs the 50mm was ok. I still have 20/20 vision at age 42. I'm sacrificing a small amount of light at maximum magnification and gaining a slightly smaller and lighter scope. Anything else to consider?

If there is another scope I should have considered for this application let me know. It hasn't arrived yet and Amazon is always easy with returns.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good choice I would say. Nikon's are optically an outstanding value. They are very, very clear and bright. I too, would have gone 42mm. Let us know how it preforms when you get it together.

Congrats. That is a nice rig for about $1k

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've had a Monarch 5 ED 4-20x50 on my Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .270 for about a year.
Sadly, only 1 range trip with it so far. Will be taking it for its first deer season this weekend.

That said, it's easily one of the clearest/crispest scopes I've peered through. Very happy with it, though I did have to remove the sunshade for it to fit into my cabinet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Monarchs are very nice!
I have a step down lowly Prostaff of my Sig SHR 970 and has served me very well.
Next bolt gun will get the new Nikon Black series.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
To add, my brother-in-law has a Buckmasters 4-12x50, mounted on a Win 700 .308
It's also a really nice & clear scope.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice scope, good choice. I think you'll be happy with the step up in $$$ and quality/features versus a simple basic scope.

Im in a situation right now where I have several rifles that need scopes, I really like the Leupold VX2 for what they are and I have several but I'm willing to stretch the budget another 100 bucks for a clear jump in quality.

I'm probably going to order one of these even though I just ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40, to fit on another rifle.

I personally dont like 50mm scopes for hunting rifles, I just dont think they are neccesary, they look strange and I've had a harder time mounting them the way I prefer.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Thats a nice scope, good choice. I think you'll be happy with the step up in $$$ and quality/features versus a simple basic scope.

Im in a situation right now where I have several rifles that need scopes, I really like the Leupold VX2 for what they are and I have several but I'm willing to stretch the budget another 100 bucks for a clear jump in quality.

I'm probably going to order one of these even though I just ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40, to fit on another rifle.

I personally dont like 50mm scopes for hunting rifles, I just dont think they are neccesary, they look strange and I've had a harder time mounting them the way I prefer.

Ya these were such a deal on Amazon at first I was a little skittish as they go for $500-550 on most sites, just a little less than the 50mm version. But it's stocked and fulfilled by Amazon, not the dealer, so should be good to go. It must have a larger mark up, being the "baby" Monarch 5, allowing for larger discounting.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I've had a Monarch 5 ED 4-20x50 on my Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .270 for about a year.
Sadly, only 1 range trip with it so far. Will be taking it for its first deer season this weekend.

That said, it's easily one of the clearest/crispest scopes I've peered through. Very happy with it, though I did have to remove the sunshade for it to fit into my cabinet.

Your scope is on my short list for my next bolt gun, dedicated long range precision rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Good choice I would say. Nikon's are optically an outstanding value. They are very, very clear and bright. I too, would have gone 42mm. Let us know how it preforms when you get it together.

I'll post my thoughts at the end of the month. Should have 2 trips to the range by then.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Your scope is on my short list for my next bolt gun, dedicated long range precision rifle.

Depending on the activity this weekend, I'll try to get some shots in the field through it.
Hopefully it's easier to shoot through with a camera, than the cheap-o Simmons on my Marlin 336.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still tough to hold the rifle steady & get decent shots with a cell phone, but here's a couple.
Nikon Monarch5 ED 4-20x50 on my Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in 270Win