AR180 revival; Brownells BRN-180

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8900017964

May 13, 2020, 01:06 PM
Accomplice
AR180 revival; Brownells BRN-180
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I’m not affiliated with this company in any way, just a guy with a 180s upper who thinks the charging handle is goofy. And if you’re like me, you might be interested in this: https://www.ar15.com/forums/eq...-BRN-180/22-1996678/

Anyone want to buy one and tell me if it’s worth it?

Thank you. Mine has some slop in the charging handle. I wonder if these have a tight, rattle-free fit?

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947
May 13, 2020, 01:31 PM
kaschi
While the charging handle does look a little like a crippled dog's rear leg, it would be great if you shoot left handed! As a rightie, I could be interested in the aftermarket one shown in that link.
May 13, 2020, 02:44 PM
Il Cattivo
As soon as an optic goes on the rifle, the 'dogleg' calculus changes again. I'm tempted to get a knob just because I think it'll make reloading acceptably similar to an AK. (Not that an AK charging handle is "great" somehow; I'm just willing to live with it.)
May 15, 2020, 04:48 PM
Lefty Sig
As much as I'd like to have one of these, I'm waiting a while to see how reliably they perform and how Brownells will deal with replacement parts availability.

One major weak link I see is the spring clip that holds the hand guard in place. Looks like it's likely to loosen up over time and there are reports of breakage already. Why the short barrel upper has an adjustable gas block for suppressed and un-suppressed, but the rifle barrel uppers have non-adjustable gas blocks with replaceable gas regulators makes no sense to me either

Hopefully they prove out well and give us a viable piston action AR upper.
May 15, 2020, 05:22 PM
Il Cattivo
WAG? The rifle uppers were first and Brownells' was in a hurry to get them out the door when they realized they'd struck a gold mine. FWIW, they've been having (purely aesthetic, to the best of my knowledge) issues with the last batch of lower receivers for the BRN-180 too.
May 15, 2020, 07:49 PM
PGT
What issues? Mine's at my FFL since it arrived a week ago (first batch shipped).
May 15, 2020, 08:11 PM
Il Cattivo
There's a few gripes on a thread over in the Industry section of Arfcom having to do with how well the lettering/etching was done and finish. Other people on that thread did mention that they had no issues with the lowers they received.
August 12, 2020, 09:00 PM
Lefty Sig
I almost pulled the trigger (well, not literally) on a BRN-180 16" upper when they were on sale during the 4th of July weekend. But I hedged and decided to wait.

Sure enough, they just announced the Gen 2 version with adjustable gas block on all barrel lengths, an improved rail attachment method, and a 10" 300 BLK option.

Brownells says these are made in cooperation with PWS and FM, but this seems to have Sig's fingerprints on it...

https://www.brownells.com/.asp...ge/brownells-brn-180
August 13, 2020, 09:03 AM
alteon180e
having the gen1 180s. i really like it. it runs suppressed very well. i can see the reason for the handguard update on the rifle length uppers. giving that much rail space for owners to bolt on, whatever was not a good start for their handguard design. the 300blk handguard cutout for the gas adjustment is..well, not my cup of tea. hopefully they continue to evolve the line.
August 13, 2020, 09:10 AM
PGT
PWS does a similar cutout on rails to access the gas regualator.

I have a spare lower and almost ordered a 300BLK for it. Maybe I will when they come back in stock.
August 13, 2020, 11:48 AM
Il Cattivo
Does anyone know if the clip/screw attachment for the handguard works on existing (Gen 1) handguards?
August 15, 2020, 09:19 PM
PGT
Set up my 18 inch as a DMR using a black Q The Fix stock and a Sig folding knuckle.

August 15, 2020, 09:47 PM
mbinky
That looks great! Is that an NDS lower (looks like it). I picked one of those up but I plan on mating it to a Wolf T91 upper just for something different. Someday.
August 16, 2020, 09:29 AM
redlickranch
Something else I will have to add to my WISH list. Those uppers look sweet.

NRA Life Member

August 21, 2020, 10:56 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I have a spare lower and almost ordered a 300BLK for it. Maybe I will when they come back in stock.

The new 10" Gen 2s in .300 BLK are available as of today.

https://www.brownells.com/.asp...ge/brownells-brn-180
August 21, 2020, 09:48 PM
Ironworker
I have been watching original Sterling AR180s on a big gun auction site. I think I could sell some of my original magazines for more than I paid for the gun.
August 22, 2020, 07:49 AM
PGT
Yeah....I paid $1K on my first sterling two years ago and sold it for $1100 last summer when I found a nicer condition version. Prices have really shot up on them...you can get a Howa for the same money now.

I need more original mags....sold a spare Sterling with two 40rd mags to a friend who's always wanted one.