SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR180 revival; Brownells BRN-180
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR180 revival; Brownells BRN-180 Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I bought two BRN-180 uppers and finally got around to building out lowers. The 10.5" will get a suppressor and go on the M4 style lower (using an SB Tactical triangle folding brace for now...not too many 1913 options out there that look right).

I also built out a Nodak NDS-1815 "Fusion" lower designed by BigRix who runs an AR180 fan website. It's closer to the original style lower (brownells has their own version coming out but not yet released) and I'll run the 18" on this one.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That, sir, is straight sexy!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just put one together this week too.

https://ibb.co/w0cKMZk

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
nice! what handguard is that and what Tailhook adapter?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Keep going back and forth on what buttstock to put on an 16". I also picked up an NDS when they came out but it somehow seems like it's more solid than the Brownells options so I'm saving it in hopes Brownells comes out with an upper for something with a little more authority than a .223 Wylde.

The funny thing is that I would've been perfectly happy with a 18" upper and a folding stock - right up until Zastava said they'd bring back the M90 sometime later this year.

For those tempted to look the M90 up, it looks like a classic "poor man's Galil" to me (may need to scroll down a little bit).

http://www.armedconflicts.com/topic/view/83695

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice, i can report that the 180s runs fine on a rugged micro 30. on both settings in the k configuration. in the full config, it cycles in both too, just too weak on the unsuppressed setting to trust.

i used the fs1913 brace on the pistol lower. i like the triangle. looks good, never seen one in person. does it flex at all at the top? or just the bottom part of the brace?

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
nice! what handguard is that and what Tailhook adapter?

It’s got the standard hand guard but I added low profile m-lok rails and alien armor extended rail covers. I used the A3 Tactical tail hook set up that bolts directly to the pic rail at the rear of the BRN-180 lower from Brownells.

The Aeroknox Orion grip arrived last night...

https://ibb.co/nbcVSYH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,

posted Hide Post
If you want a piston rifle they seem to be a good option, but even with the new BRN lower they still don't really look like an AR-18.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin If Armalite was still making them, would you expect them to still look just like an old AR-18? If nothing else, a lack of a KeyMod or MLok handguard would be seen as utterly silly.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
If you want a piston rifle they seem to be a good option, but even with the new BRN lower they still don't really look like an AR-18.

Main issue right now is the lack of a stock that looks the part. The action and receivers are close enough. Add 180-like sights, a proper grip and the stock and you'd have a reasonable facsimile, but updated like Il Cattivo suggests.

I sent a stock from my Sterling off to a manufacturer for 3D scanning and the one shown at Brownell's booth at SHOT was the prototype. It remains to be seen if Brownells will make it mostly due to the limited market and their lackluster sales on the "Retro" series so the ROI might be a tough sell.

Nodak is working on a 180 stock as well. Here's the prototype Brownells showed

I haven't seen a complete pic mounted but this one is on Brownell's still to be released lower (I don't think it's as good as the Nodak/BigRix NDS-1815 I have)

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I built out the Nodak lower with a KNS 1913 adapter, CMMG LPK, BRN10 grip and Schmid nickel USGI trigger. Sights are from an ARX100 (kind of approximate the look). Still trying to find a good stock option but the excellent Sig will hold me over for now.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Brownells' claimed over on the Industry page at Arfcom that the problem was that their stock used a SIG..adapter? connector? At any rate, Brownells' apparently wants to come up with their own hardware. As for the 'retros' not selling, well, Brownells' has been having quite a few sales - maybe they're rethinking their pricing structure? I do remember when BRN-180s first came out many complained long and loud about paying that much money for an upper, so maybe lower prices will lead to greater volume will lead to more options.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
yes, it uses the Sig knuckle. Sig discontinued their own skeleton stock ostensibly because it was too expensive to make. The OEM that made it for Brownells used it because it works and was available....it was just a prototype and made start to finish in just a few weeks (part of the issue was getting an original to scan...I sent right away when a friend hooked us up). Hopefully, this makes it to fruition and as simple as the original folding mechanism is, I don't see why it needs to hold things up (heck, the one on the SB Tactical triangle folder works and is simple, though doesn't work as well).

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Build!!!

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an adaptor available that allows a Czech VZ58 folding stock to be mounted. It looks really compact.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
who makes it? That would be quite interesting

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
There's an adaptor available that allows a Czech VZ58 folding stock to be mounted. It looks really compact.

Compactness is about the only good thing the Vz. 58's folding stock has going for it. It's not very comfortable or sturdy. I got noticeably uncomfrotable cheek slap from mine, even with a paracord wrap, before I resorted to installing a rounded padded riser on it.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post

Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I’m not affiliated with this company in any way, just a guy with a 180s upper who thinks the charging handle is goofy. And if you’re like me, you might be interested in this (edited with a better link): https://ar180parts.com/product...180-charging-handle/

Anyone want to buy one and tell me if it’s worth it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It’s nice to have options but I’m the guy who bought original style charging handles for his 180B’s lol. I could just move one of those original ones over