SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Removing AKS-74U gas block?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing AKS-74U gas block? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Since the form came back for my Arsenal SLR-104UR, I need some assistance with the more complicated part of the shortening process: dealing with the restrictor plug in the gas block Arsenal installs on the 16" guns.

I have a local smith who does pretty much all my jobs, and he can do the barrel chop, but he doesn't have a press, which I know is properly needed, to remove the gas block (or pull the barrel, for that matter).

So I have some options and some questions for the hive mind. (Yes, I've read plenty on other AK websites, but, while the info may or may not be good, it is not easily digestible in written form.)

Option 1: just have him cut the barrel and see how the gun cycles with the Bulgarian 4-piece booster that will go on it anyway. If it works, then all the better.

Option 2: He said if I could get him some info on alternate ways of getting the gas block off, he'd see what he can do.

Option 3: send it off to an AK smith. This is what I'm really trying to avoid because of the turnaround time, the price and the hassle of shipping. This is really my least desirable option.

So my questions revolve around option 2:

First, to drill the restrictor plug out, the whole thing has to come off, right? So the retaining pins need to be (properly speaking) pressed out and the whole front sight/gas block gets pressed off the barrel, right?

Second, can either or both of these operations be done without a press--and not crushing the receiver? If so, how?

Third, let's say I decide to buy a press myself, since some of the Harbor Freight options are probably actually cheaper than shipping and waiting for another 'smith to do it. Is a 6 ton press sufficient for this job? Or is 12 ton necessary? I don't foresee myself needing a press in the future, so I'm not keen on spending more money on something that'll sit in my shed doing nothing, but it still might be a better investment than shipping costs/hassle.

(PS: my intent would be to buy a press and loan it to my local guy for the task, not doing it myself.)

Thoughts?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Option 3 is what I chose and never looked back. It will be well worth doing and you'll be happy to know that the job was done correctly. Two Rivers Arms did the work on mine and the gun was only gone for a month. Personally, if I were you, not only would I have them remove the gas block and remove the restrictor if it's there, I'd have them cut and re-crown the barrel. "One stop shop and done." You've come this far with your AKS-74U, don't screw it up now! Good luck.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Are you sure there's a plug? I don't think all of them have it. I just chopped the barrel on mine and it runs great. I'd chop the barrel and see, you'll end up having to do it either way.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3582 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Option 3 is what I chose and never looked back. It will be well worth doing and you'll be happy to know that the job was done correctly. Two Rivers Arms did the work on mine and the gun was only gone for a month. Personally, if I were you, not only would I have them remove the gas block and remove the restrictor if it's there, I'd have them cut and re-crown the barrel. "One stop shop and done." You've come this far with your AKS-74U, don't screw it up now! Good luck.

Another vote for Two Rivers here. They did the work on both my 104UR and 107CR. Both rifles came back perfect. Unlike other smiths I've dealt with in the past they actually met the quoted lead time which was around a month as stated above.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Unless you're feeling adventurous I'd send it to a gunsmith that specializes in AKs, your GS doesn't sound like he knows AKs at all and if it were my gun I certainly wouldn't let him make a guinea pig out of it.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I went with Option 1 when I got my stamp back for my 104UR.

When checking around on an AK forum, it looked like mine should've had the restrictor, but when shooting it pre-barrel chop, I never experienced any issues, so when my stamp came in, I chopped it, re-crowned it, installed the booster and took her out to the range - no issues, thankfully.

Otherwise, send it to an AK savvy dude for restrictor removal.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm going with option 1, it seems.

If need be, the Two Rivers guys gave me a quote for doing the restrictor later.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post