SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester 1873 Sporter 357 octagon 24" - pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1873 Sporter 357 octagon 24" - pics Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Wow, I love the color case hardening.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElmerKeith:
Thank you for sharing and congrats to your new toy!

What ammo will you take? What bullet shape?

I am going to use a bullet with a flat nose so that there is no chance of the bullet activating the primer of the bullet in front of it in the magazine.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! What kind of loads of 357 do you have planned for that gun? It's a toggle link but it's also a 357.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I would like to have your recommendations as to the grain that I should use. I was thinking of 125 grain 357 magnum. What do you suggest?

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!! This rifle shoots like a dream. With open sights I can hit a shotgun shell in the snow at 30 ft. A loose pine knot in the snow at 50 ft. Now, believe this if you want, I was able to hit a 5/8" diameter wooden dowel at 75 yards (it took 4 tries.). I hit many other loose items at the primitive shooting range in the forest. In all I shot 28 rounds. And let me assure you I am a 67 year old blind feller.

This was a very good purchase for me. Sights required no adjustment. Everything seems to be mechanically sound with the rifle. Well balanced firearm and a beautiful wall hanger. Winchester is wonderful.

Regards,
arlen

======================
======================

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Man that is beautiful! I have been planning on one of these as my next rifle but I was going to go for the shorter barrel but now I'm not so sure. Any reason one would pick the 24 inch over the shorter one? It will be a fun gun and not for hunting or anything.

Color case is also my choice. Just classic. Congratulations!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
Fantastic!! This rifle shoots like a dream. With open sights I can hit a shotgun shell in the snow at 30 ft. A loose pine knot in the snow at 50 ft. Now, believe this if you want, I was able to hit a 5/8" diameter wooden dowel at 75 yards (it took 4 tries.). I hit many other loose items at the primitive shooting range in the forest. In all I shot 28 rounds. And let me assure you I am a 67 year old blind feller.

This was a very good purchase for me. Sights required no adjustment. Everything seems to be mechanically sound with the rifle. Well balanced firearm and a beautiful wall hanger. Winchester is wonderful.

Excellent! Enjoy it and shoot the heck out of it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Man that is beautiful! I have been planning on one of these as my next rifle but I was going to go for the shorter barrel but now I'm not so sure. Any reason one would pick the 24 inch over the shorter one? It will be a fun gun and not for hunting or anything.

Color case is also my choice. Just classic. Congratulations!

The reason that I like the 24" is the sight radius. The longer the distance between the back and front sight, the more accurate the shot will be. This is not important with a scope, but an open sight it becomes a major factor.
The reason that I like the octagon barrel is the additional weight will allow me to hold the rifle steady while aiming, plus it will reduce recoil via inertia.
The last factor is the beautiful proportion of the rifle is pleasing to the eye.

Regards,
arlen

======================
======================

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I shoot a 125gr bullet in a .38 special case with 2.8 grains of Clays powder.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer