SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red Dots for AR, Cheaper ones like Osprey-CVLife-Pinty-Dagger Defense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dots for AR, Cheaper ones like Osprey-CVLife-Pinty-Dagger Defense Login/Join 
posted
Osprey/CVLife/Pinty/Dagger Defense seem to share the same products.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/CVLIFE-...5FSNKK0FTB5WEQXJVJMX

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch it based on the poorly written add. Look at how they spell picatinny. Also, Dual illumination usual means two light sources for example tritium and fiber not two different colors like this product. It kind of looks like they strung a bunch of buzz words together.

Then look through the reviews and Q&A. they seem to indicate that this is an airsoft or .22 optic.

What are you looking to mount it on? What do you want to use the optic for?

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can get a Bushnell TRS-25 for ~$50. That's the cheapest I'd go.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnel...tilted/dp/B00CIY7JAU

And hopefully this is just for a plinker AR. You don't want to go cheap on optics for a defensive rifle.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You can get a Bushnell TRS-25 for ~$50. That's the cheapest I'd go.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnel...tilted/dp/B00CIY7JAU

And hopefully this is just for a plinker AR. You don't want to go cheap on optics for a defensive rifle.
Yeah same here. At least you have Bushnells warranty

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Cheap optics routinely fail.

The led emitter will fail, or it won't track/adjust properly, or the mounting threads will strip, etc etc....

Buy a Vortex SparcAR and know that if it ever fails Vortex will fix it or give you a new one. I have been using one hard and it has been perfect.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Utter shyite. On the low end I'd be looking at Primary Arms, Vortex, or even a Sig Romeo. The prices have come way down and now you can get a good RDS for under $200.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Garbage and when it fails, you are $28 further away from a decent one then when you started. The TRS-25 and Primary Arms micro in the sub $100 range get good reviews and are solid range gun choices IMO (but I wouldn't trust one for HD).

Between $100-$200 there are ones I would trust my life to (after a number of shooting sessions to verify no issues) like the Primary Arms MD-ADS (have one, no issues) and I'd explore the Vortex line as well.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Crap!
Don't waste your time.
As mentioned earlier the Bushnell TRS-25 is the cheapest that I would go.
I have one on an AR pistol and it works but I think a Vortex Viper or Venom would work better.

For my rifles, the cheapest that I would go is a Vortex SPARCII.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Garbage and when it fails, you are $28 further away from a decent one then when you started. The TRS-25 and Primary Arms micro in the sub $100 range get good reviews and are solid range gun choices IMO (but I wouldn't trust one for HD).

Between $100-$200 there are ones I would trust my life to (after a number of shooting sessions to verify no issues) like the Primary Arms MD-ADS (have one, no issues) and I'd explore the Vortex line as well.

This. I've got a PA MD-ADS that I've beat on some. I expect the Vortex would hold up as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aguilar64
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris XTS-135 I can sell you if you want.

Burris-XTS

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2192 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should've known... the ole 'sounds to good to be true, normally is'.

Would be for general plinking and HD.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the Romeo 5 but the Primary Arms MD-ADS & Holosun HS403G all give you 40,000 - 50,000 hour battery life for $150- $180 .

Just saw this today...

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheapest I'd go for HD is the Aimpoint Pro.
Not knocking anybody, I've just got years of experience with the aimpoints. The MRO might be worth while too and I'm interested to see how the Vortex Strike fire holds up.

For Plinking, The bushnells, Vortexs, Burris, MROs, ADCO, etc. are probably fine.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Would be for general plinking and HD.

In that case, I definitely would't go cheap. The various mid-level Chinese-made Bushnell/Burris/Primary Arms/Holosun/etc. red dots are fine for plinkers, or even casual hunting if you don't mind that the optic might fail and cost you your shot, but I wouldn't trust my life to them on a home defense rifle. Get an Aimpoint Pro for ~$400ish. Save your pennies if you must.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree go quality or stick with irons. I would much rather stick with iron sights before trusting any sort of cheap knock off optic for any purpose at all. Seen way too many fail with minimal use or even minor abuse. There is a saying to get something truly trustworthy you should be spending as much on the optic as your rifle. And while I might not go quite that far, optics are not the place to cheap
Out ever.
Solid optics with great reputations are not as expensive as they used to be ( aimpoint for example) with long track records of sustained use in combat environments.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
For economy red dots I chose the Vortex SparcII and the Primary Arms MD-ADS. Both have held zero well and performed as expected. With that being said, I have astigmatism and the Vortex has a "comet tail" dot while the PA has a "star burst" dot.

The one listed in the link in the original post is an airsoft red dot. I would stick with irons over this one.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While HD duty is serious, it is not rigorous. Rifle chillaxin in a climate controlled environment until called upon for 2-5 rds in the dark. IMHO, when the rifle is picked up, the dot has to be there, has to still be zeroed and has to make it through a magazine. A Primary Arms MD-ADS with 50,000 hr batt life will meet these criteria for half the cost of an AP Pro.

That said, my HD RDS is an Aimpoint micro, but I’d trust the MD-ADS. The extra ruggedness of the Aimpoints helps them survive getting knocked around in MRAPs for a year long deployment.

The problem with the really cheap ones, is the dot is likely to be dead when you grab it and it may not survive zeroing or could go out any time. Or...it could work just fine for a long service life, you just don’t know.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post