SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thompson Center Compass Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thompson Center Compass Rifle Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the Thompson Compass? The reviews seem good on them and with a $75 rebate they seem to be available for under $200 after rebate. I went ahead and ordered one in 6.5 creedmoor and 300 win mag.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No first hand experience with that one but a friend has a New Dimensions rifle. It came with both a .243 Winchester and .308 Winchester barrel. Both are standard weight barrel and both have shot very well. Not only that but after switching the barrels back and forth they held their zero. Like damn near perfectly on.

I was very impressed with that performance. The .243 Winchester even with it's thin barrel would make a fairly good Varmint Rifle. We were shooting over the counter nothing special stuff and it preformed very well.

I'm sorry for not being of more help, but the quality and performance of that rifle, and the surprising low cost, and how good it looked was very pleasing.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Check the date of manufacture, maybe:

https://www.tcarms.com/recalls

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I bought one about a month ago due to the rebate, which made it $200 after that. Mine is in .308. I had a Burris Fullfield E-1 scope (2-7x35) and Leupold rings I wasn't using, not a bad set up. Ive only shot it once but so far I like it. The accuracy was as claimed at MOA with premium ammo. Last weekend I loaded up some Barnes 130 gr. TTSX bullets in Starline brass. 5 rounds each with powder charges in 5 grain increments from 44.5-49.0. I just need to figure out what it really likes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm excited to try mine out and see what they can do. Did you break the barrel in at all?

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
No break in, just fired about 20 rounds first time out. I took it out again today with my handloads. I forgot to take other guns to shoot in between so the barrel warmed up fast. I did clean after 3 shots. My first 3 shot group was the best, 130 grain Barnes TTSX, 44.5 grains of varget, WLR primer, Starline case. Group at 100 yards was .54 inch, measured with digital calipers. As I went up in power charge groups opened up quite a bit. Some of which I attribute to the barrel getting hot. My only other respectable group was 48.5 grains of varget, group was .74 inch. I don't have a chronograph to know what kind of velocity I'm getting though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: birddog1,

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's amazing accuracy for a $200 rifle. Good shooting and load development on your part by the way. I'll be curious to see how far out the rebates will be. The form says 10-12 weeks. Since it's the same parent company I imagine it will be the same group that processes the SW Shied and they have been slow.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Academy Sports has these at $180 after rebate. Im thinking about trying one but they wouldn't let me dry fire one to check the trigger.

Whats your opinion on the trigger?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the 308 version and although I haven't range tested it yet, the action is nice and the trigger is pretty good from the factory. I believe they set it at 3.5-4 ish pounds.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I just ordered the 308 version and although I haven't range tested it yet, the action is nice and the trigger is pretty good from the factory. I believe they set it at 3.5-4 ish pounds.

I ended up going back and talking the guy at the counter into letting me dry-fire one with a snap cap installed. Its a much better than average trigger, particularly so on a economy priced rifle.

I purchased one in .243. It came with a swag bag that had a TC hat and a Old Timer skinning knife. I gave that to my 10 y.o. son.

I hope to get some test loads made by the weekend but it isn't shaping up that way.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post