SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle and scope combo - to die for!!

I have a 1952 build-year x18 Unertl 2" Varmint with the calibrated head on one of my BSA Martini International MkIIs. I got the date from Dewayne Greiner - THE man about Unertl scopes. Depending on condition, it could be worth between 800 and 1000 dollars. Yours has the later, more desireable alloy POSA-style mounts - could up the value by a couple of hundred dollars - I have both styles on my rifle, but chose to use the original style. You can see it here on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6h5iEwyThk

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the Pre-64 M-70's had Stainless barrels. Should have a "japanned" black finish and marked stainless. This thread might be of interested to you:

https://winchestercollector.or...nless-steel-barrels/

Super Cool, Classic Rifle! I hope you keep it in the family and enjoy shooting it. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. I've got a 2nd month gun (#202), but it doesn't have a scope. My 2nd year gun has a scope but its the "BalVar 8". Kind of a classic in itself.

Even old, clear scopes seem to work well. We need a thread on old scopes sometime. This one is close. It seems to me that the sealed scopes, the ones with external adjustments might live longer than the ones with internal ones. I await the shooting report.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the feedback and information. One of the many reasons I love this place is the wealth of knowledge and experience of its members, and their willingness to share it all. I dropped the rifle off at my gunsmith's earlier this week. He is going to provide an appraisal for me as well as an inspection to see if there are any problems (throat erosion, chamber and barrel condition, etc.). I also need to get some .220 Swift ammo, that is a daunting task!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Very nice rifle. Depending on where the FIL shot, can help with any round count estimates. If back East, likely paper & possibly groundhogs. If he ventured west, high count prairie dogging may of been the rage.

All shooting in the east, woodchucks and targets. From talking with my father inlaw I am estimating 2000-2500 rounds through it in 50 years. It hasn't been shot in the last 20. Taking it to my gunsmith tomorrow after work.

With that many rounds, a Swift is well past it's prime accuracy days, but still should have plenty of accuracy for varmint hunting. When accuracy nuts talk "shot out", then can mean the loss of 1/4" to 1/2" off your total group size at 100 yards, so it doesn't make the rifle junk Smile

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I just brought the rifle home from the gunsmith. I should not be estimating rounds through a rifle! He estimated around 500 rounds through it. He said the rifle is in excellent condition with no throat erosion observed, barrel is in good shape and bluing is in good condition. Checkering is sharp, minor patina on metal surfaces with no scratches or dents visible. Some minor nicks and scratches on stock and minor finish wear at left face of stock and toe of stock. Overall the rifle has been well maintained. This is great news!
Now, I have to find some 220 swift ammo to shoot.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wow, congratulations. That's GREAT news!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my uncle started me on the path to being a gun nut with a rifle identical to that, except a 243. we shot a lot of stuff with it, wish I could have gotten it when he passed, but I do have my Rem 700 heavy barrel in 6mm, helps relive those days from the late 50's thru early 60's.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would mention that you might not want to store it in that foam lined case. I’ve seen several guns badly rusted from being stored in those.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 220 Swift uses a semi-rimmed case, doesn't it? If true, how well does the 220 round cycle in a bolt rifle using the standard box staggered magazine as found in Winchester M70, Remington 700 or Ruger M77? All the cartridges I've ever used in those bolt rifles were rimless (223, 22-250, 30-06, etc) or belted magnum (300 Win Mag, 375H&H, etc).

My Ruger fed perfectly every time.

I only sold it because it never came out of the safe anymore.

It was like the hammer of Thor on coyotes though. Dropped them dead.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just brought the rifle home from the gunsmith. I should not be estimating rounds through a rifle! He estimated around 500 rounds through it. He said the rifle is in excellent condition with no throat erosion observed, barrel is in good shape and bluing is in good condition. Checkering is sharp, minor patina on metal surfaces with no scratches or dents visible. Some minor nicks and scratches on stock and minor finish wear at left face of stock and toe of stock. Overall the rifle has been well maintained. This is great news!

220 Swift is a cartridge where you can save significant $ with a single stage press.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reloading is a friend of the 220swift. Saves $$$. And if avoid the ultra-high pressure loads ( just avoid the max pressure loads) , that barrel will last much longer.

220 Swift kills .....swiftly ! ;- ))

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was one of just a few guns my Father dreamed of having, but never did.

Beautiful rifle and scope.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and scope set up. Total American classic!!!! Congrats!

Posts: 4044 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which may turn into a real challenge. I review ammo availability daily via ammoseek.com. I've looked for 220 Swift just for grins -- all week I've seen only 2 options for Remington 55 grain PSP. At $2.50 and $2.75 per round, these are fairly expensive options.

Handloading might be an option -- if you can find components.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm jealous. I've got a 2nd month gun (#202), but it doesn't have a scope. My 2nd year gun has a scope but its the "BalVar 8". Kind of a classic in itself.

Even old, clear scopes seem to work well. We need a thread on old scopes sometime. This one is close. It seems to me that the sealed scopes, the ones with external adjustments might live longer than the ones with internal ones. I await the shooting report.

I have 2 old Alaskan scopes and an old Weaver KV. One of the Alaskan is a fixed scope. If the scope thread goes, I will picture these with their old mounts.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post