SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I just received this fine rifle from my father in law. It's a Winchester Model 70 in 220 Swift, with a Unertl scope. I can't wait to start researching this rifle. Can anyone offer me information or resources to help me determine its age and worth (I am really more interested in its age and history)? Thanks!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Neat... It looks like a Pre-'64 which means it has the original Mauser action.

220 Swift was (is) a premier high velocity .22 cal varminting cartridge.

I know nothing of Unertl scopes except they are the very definition of "classic cool" and while the rifle is worth a significant amount of money, especially if it is all original, that scope could have a lot of value also, particularly if the optics are still nice and clear.

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess that you have about a $2,000 gift sitting there, and depending on model, condition, age, etc., conceivably much more.

Throat erosion with a 220 Swift can be significant, and a rifle chambered in it will require frequent cleaning to avoid copper build up in the throat. In addition, fast strings of fire resulting in barrel heating should be avoided. It is an "overbore" cartridge, and consequently dumps unburned powder into the throat of the barrel when the round goes off, resulting in a lot of heating.

There is a site out there that will give you a date based on serial number. If I find it, I will post it later.

Update: Here's the link to date your rifle: Winchester Date Link

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
ArtieS - thank you so much! I've been able to determine the rifle was manufactured in 1952.

-----------------------

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Winchester 70s are my favorite. I only have 2 of them, but am always on the hunt for more. You have a beautiful rifle there. Enjoy it!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ArtieS was right about the throat erosion issue. A guy who sold me a Ruger M77 220S warned me about it. New rifles with improved metallurgy have less erosion. Any idea of round count for your rifle?
Yours is a beauty!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Coyotes, even those way out there, beware.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First varmint rifle I had was a Swift and it killed things Extra dead!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Swift fan for my uses, but that's a valuable rifle you have there. The 220 Swift is a desirable caliber in the Pre 64 Model 70s. And while the Unertl scope is not up to day's scopes performance wise, they bring big bucks as well to collectors who people who like putting them on vintage rifles.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
First varmint rifle I had was a Swift and it killed things Extra dead!

Is that as good as double dead?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
ArtieS was right about the throat erosion issue. A guy who sold me a Ruger M77 220S warned me about it. New rifles with improved metallurgy have less erosion. Any idea of round count for your rifle?

I do not know for certain, but from talking with my father inlaw I do not think he put many rounds through it. I am taking it to my smith this week for an inspection. I do not notice anything amiss, but I am not an expert.

-----------------------

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Really great rifle there. A Swift is on my bucket list for the future, probably in a Ruger though. Cool cartridge and a real burner.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
https://pre64win.com/

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. Depending on where the FIL shot, can help with any round count estimates. If back East, likely paper & possibly groundhogs. If he ventured west, high count prairie dogging may of been the rage.

I bought a 1966 Sako from a guy years ago, 243. I could tell by the vintage ammo & that he lived in a ‘shotgun zone’ for deer hunting, it wasn’t shot much.

I ended up going the 22-250 route, but the 220 Swift is a classic.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
220 Swift is faster than a phone call.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 220 Swift uses a semi-rimmed case, doesn't it? If true, how well does the 220 round cycle in a bolt rifle using the standard box staggered magazine as found in Winchester M70, Remington 700 or Ruger M77? All the cartridges I've ever used in those bolt rifles were rimless (223, 22-250, 30-06, etc) or belted magnum (300 Win Mag, 375H&H, etc).

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Very nice rifle. Depending on where the FIL shot, can help with any round count estimates. If back East, likely paper & possibly groundhogs. If he ventured west, high count prairie dogging may of been the rage.

All shooting in the east, woodchucks and targets. From talking with my father inlaw I am estimating 2000-2500 rounds through it in 50 years. It hasn't been shot in the last 20. Taking it to my gunsmith tomorrow after work.

-----------------------

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
google winchester mod 70 serial numbers and you will get a pile of sites to look up the manufacture date,

while the 220 will eat up a barrel, not that many folks shot them enough to do so, (pull the bolt, hold the rifle up to a light source and look thru the barrel, are the lands/grooves still good at the throat?)

would like to see some more pics of the Unertl,

power (ring on the back of the scope near the eye piece will be stamped )

and the type of mounts

overall Unertls are considered the cream of the crop on older scopes, but they are heavier than the Lyman/Fecker/Litschert equivalents,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
From talking with my father inlaw I am estimating 2000-2500 rounds through it in 50 years. It hasn't been shot in the last 20. Taking it to my gunsmith tomorrow after work.

That many rounds on a 220 Swift will produce noticeable throat erosion. The barrel could be toast, or it may shoot just fine for you. A lot depends upon your accuracy demands. The best thing is to get out there and shoot it -- assuming you have ammo.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, could peek inside, as able, or the gunsmith could give it a look.

I’d also go with the shooting it yourself anyway, which is what really counts.

I reload most every round for my 22-250’s, mostly for prairie dogging. Most of my loads are very reasonable, still offering a fair amount more than a 223. Just saying, even a modest 220 Swift load offers great performance while being easier on the brass & barrel.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Double dead was a nice way of putting it. The Swift was a pleasure to load for,I ran IMR 4350 and Sierra 69gr match bullets

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post