SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    10/22 rifles and the Tactical Solutions X-Ring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 rifles and the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
Not having a Ruger 10/22 of my own to shoot for some time now, and having some magazines and accessories stored away, I had been looking into doing either a custom build myself or going with a Ruger 10/22 Competition model that was recently released. After looking into the various custom parts and the way Ruger was promoting the Competition as a "Custom Shop" rifle, I decided to order the Competition model through a local FFLs GalleryofGuns.com account for purchase through them. Unfortunately when it arrived at the shop there were issues with the rifle. While it was an overall attractive concept and felt good in the hands, it had some glaring quality issues that were unacceptable for a rifle of this price (or any price really), especially one claimed to be a "custom shop" rifle. The rifle was still packaged when I opened and inspected it too. It ended up having a bunch of fine pencil like scratches on the top of the barrel half way down the barrel and a more glaring, deeper 1/4 scratch in the same area. Even more disturbing though, the barrel flutes were not completely smooth channels, with rough and raised spots in some places. The only thing I can think of is that the barrel was not properly secured when they were machining the flutes or something was going on with the CNC machine. In either case, it was prior to them finishing the barrel so very poor quality control on their part. Needless to say, I did not buy the rifle and did not ask them to try to acquire another one for me given some other quality control observations I made on two different Ruger American Rimfire bolt action rifles they also received from the same distributor (including a Target model). Being a long time Ruger fan and owner, it was very disappointing to see so hopefully things improve in that respect or were just a very unfortunate coincidence and I actually let Ruger know about it (they responded and communicated with me on it very graciously).

Fast forward to a couple days later while looking at a variety of rifles online including the Tacsols, Volquartsens, etc., I happened across a "clearance sale" on a Tactical Solutions X-Ring with Magpul X-22 stock that looked too good to pass up and given the low remaining quantity and price ($699 shipped so in the same ball park as the 10/22 Competition) I placed the order. I know that Tactical Solutions has now moved to an ambidextrous style receiver (X-Ring VR) that has the ability to have the cocking handle on either side of the receiver, but that not being a huge factor for me I felt the price difference / savings (about $200) more than made up for the lack of this feature on the one I ordered. Not to mention that since it has a threaded barrel and I may move forward on finally getting a suppressor, I think the completely closed left side of the original X-Ring will lend itself to a more residue to the face free experience with or without the suppressor since I shoot right handed. The X-Ring is also noticeably lighter than the Ruger Competition model in the specs which helps save weight to allow for whatever optic I decide to use on it without making it overly bulky for its size. I have seen some positive reviews about the Tactical Solutions X-Ring online but was wondering if anyone here had one or had experiences positive or negative they wanted to share. Mine should be here next week and keeping fingers crossed that all is well with it.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I bought a X-Ring with the Laminated stock about 4-5 years ago. Hell of a shooter.

Only problem I had was suddenly the trigger group stopped resetting. It was the Tac-Sol trigger.

They replaced it with the BX trigger that's pretty good. But I liked the tac-sol trigger slightly better. Also BX didn't have auto bolt release. So I need to do that Mod.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The model I ordered is gunmetal gray barrel /receiver with the black X-22 stock which comes with the BX trigger and the auto bolt release already so thanks for the feedback on that. Glad to hear that it has been a great shooter! Also, with Tactical Solutions offering what I understand is a lifetime warranty and very good customer service, it was one of the other reasons I went with their rifle vs a custom build.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I just received my TS X-Ring Takedown ordered from Bud's but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It came with the Magpul stock, the BX trigger, extended mag release, picatinny rail,and threaded barrel. My first impressions are very positive. I was really surprised at how light this rifle is. It looks terrific with the fluted barrel and overall fit and finish (gunmetal grey) is just outstanding -- no disappointments there. Comes in a nice fabric carrying case. I was surprised and disappointed in only getting one magazine. As you probably know, the Ruger Takedown model generally comes with three magazines in the Magpul stock compartment. Oh well, ordered three more from Midway and because I live here in Missouri got them next day.

I'm undecided on optics and I'm doing a little online research now. What do you guys think I should be looking at? I'm leaning toward red dot, maybe Bushnell or Holosun.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Poppy...depends on your overall intended use, but since the takedown already has fiber optic sights mounted to the barrel, I would go with a 2-7x 32mm with a good quick detach base, something like the Hawke Optics Vantage with the Mil-dot reticle, adjustable objective optional. That way you can plink and shoot up close with the fiber optics while being able to quickly switch to longer range accuracy with the scope, and still keeping the gun light. If you don't plan to shoot much past 50 yards then the red dot would be ideal and you would still have the fiber optic sights as backup. A 2MOA dot would be good for speed and still offering some reasonable precision on a .22.

-Dtech