SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ Bren 805 S1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Bren 805 S1 Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
So I have been going through a lot of rifles lately, and right now I am looking at the Bren 805 S1. I handled one the other day and I really like it, brand new in the box is $1499.

But, is it worth it? Or should I wait and get a DT MDR ? - you know if they ever release it.

On GunBroker right now they have two DT MDR .308's for just around $3k.

Bren 805 S1 Range reports anyone?

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
From a company standpoint, CZ is a long-term player. DT is making some cool products but they always seem to be plagued by delays and Im unsure of their long-term viability.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got one and liked it well enough to SBR it ... my main reason for buying it was that I wanted something different ...

That being said, other than the stock folding, it doesn't do anything an AR wont do ... accuracy is OK ... its a battle rifle. Also, its on the heavy side, kind of over-built, like maybe it was originally designed to be multi-caliber to include the 7.62x39. There really isn't much after-market support for it, but the CZ-USA store seems to have most of the parts to build one in stock. The trigger is heavier than some AR shooters are used to, around 6-7 pounds so it isn't as bad as a stock Tavor. The selector is a bit small, but it has plenty of rail and spots to add more if you desire, good battle sights, and there seems to be a couple different stocks for it but I've never seen one for sale like what is in your picture. It tears down fairly easily ... takes standard mags but there is also a different magwell that will accept the original CZ mags, its called the retro kit at the CZ-USA store, comes with 5 mags and the magwell for $150 ... I like my charge handle on the right side but it's ambidextrous ... also if you want to change your muzzle devise it has 14x1 threads same as an AK; I use the QD mount for my YHM Ti suppressor.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I've got one and liked it well enough to SBR it ... my main reason for buying it was that I wanted something different ...

That being said, other than the stock folding, it doesn't do anything an AR wont do ... accuracy is OK ... its a battle rifle. Also, its on the heavy side, kind of over-built, like maybe it was originally designed to be multi-caliber to include the 7.62x39. There really isn't much after-market support for it, but the CZ-USA store seems to have most of the parts to build one in stock. The trigger is heavier than some AR shooters are used to, around 6-7 pounds so it isn't as bad as a stock Tavor. The selector is a bit small, but it has plenty of rail and spots to add more if you desire, good battle sights, and there seems to be a couple different stocks for it but I've never seen one for sale like what is in your picture. It tears down fairly easily ... takes standard mags but there is also a different magwell that will accept the original CZ mags, its called the retro kit at the CZ-USA store, comes with 5 mags and the magwell for $150 ... I like my charge handle on the right side but it's ambidextrous ... also if you want to change your muzzle devise it has 14x1 threads same as an AK; I use the QD mount for my YHM Ti suppressor.

So after all that.... would you buy it again?

The stock is from an ACR, and when I found that photo I kinda fell in love. Double checked online and there is a adaptor available.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the pistol version for a while, never an FTE or FTF. I really liked it but sold it because I'm sticking with the AR platform.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I talked with a CZ rep who said the Bren 2 would be out next year for civilians with a 7.62x39/5.56 conversion available. If you are in no rush it might be worth the wait, although you never know if next year means next year, or sometime in the next several years.

Here is a video of the one I saw (not my video)
https://spotterup.com/shot-sho...light-cz-usa-bren-2/

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Bren S1 Carbine had standard AR 1/2 x 28 threads. I think only the early pistols have the AK muzzle thread.

It’s a well built quality gun. People have compared it favorably to the SCAR, although I think the SCAR is better, but you get what you pay for. It is heavy, and it’s annoying that there is no bolt release. The ACR stock looks nice, but I kept the original on mine.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I really like them. I shot a friend's at the range earlier this year. I'm holding out for the Bren 2.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:So after all that.... would you buy it again?

The stock is from an ACR, and when I found that photo I kinda fell in love. Double checked online and there is a adaptor available.

Honestly, probably not. While I do like it and its preformed perfectly, I'm 60 and not in the best of shape and while I don't plan on going in to battle anytime soon but if there were to be a SHTF event, natural disaster or something; I'd probably grab something not as bulky.

BTW, where did you see the ACR adapter?
As long as I've got it I might as well enjoy it ... with the ACR stock and the retro kit it would look really slick.

btw - CZ has been saying the bren2 will be coming out for civilians for over 2 years ... Don't hold your breath.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:So after all that.... would you buy it again?

Honestly, probably not. While I do like it and its preformed perfectly, I'm 60 and not in the best of shape and while I don't plan on going in to battle anytime soon but if there were to be a SHTF event, natural disaster or something; I'd probably grab something not as bulky.

BTW, where did you see the ACR adapter?
As long as I've got it I might as well enjoy it ... with the ACR stock and the retro kit it would look really slick.

btw - CZ has been saying the bren2 will be coming out for civilians for over 2 years ... Don't hold your breath.

They are out of stock right now, but does not require the rear head unit the other one does.

WARPIG602, I think your right and the DT probably isn't any better of a choice.

I wish they had a better choice of stocks for my MCX, they work great for my MPX. Any thoughts on the ACR itself?

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, I signed up for notification ...

You weren't asking me, but I've got an ACR too, which is why I was asking about the adapter ... A couple years ago, after reading some reviews and you-tubes I decided to get one, bought it for the same reason I got the Bren Smile it's a nice AR alternative but weighs about the same as the Bren.

I can't give you a comparison with the scar, but at the time, the ACR was about a grand, the non reciprocating and ambidextrous charge handle and other reviews sold me ... it's well built, the furniture all has the MagPul logo on it. While the ACR doesn't have a bolt release it does have a last round bolt hold open so you know when your empty unlike the AK and many other popular rifles. The barrel is a medium contour, M4 style with a 1/9 twist which is fine for the 55-69 grain bullets that I typically shoot. You can take it down without tools and the piston system is very light. Another up-side is that you can use pretty much any AR trigger group (I replaced mine with the RRA Match) You do have to make a slight modification to the trigger spring or use the original. If you wander over to the ACR forms they have a lot of info and there is/was someone making 300BO conversions ... as usual, companies that "say" there will be multipal caliber's typically don't get around to them but the ACR was a product of the original Bushmaster, the multi-caliber's, like the rest of the rest of it was droped by the new owners and no other caliber's (9mm IIRC) were developed.

With all this talk about these toys in the back of my safe, I pulled them both out to make them both "dirty girls" again.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have a pistol version. It works great, is totally reliable, and is accurate. The only negative that I have is how hot the front rails gets after just a few mags. Gloves or some form of cover are a necessary requirement.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the link, I signed up for notification ...

You weren't asking me, but I've got an ACR too, which is why I was asking about the adapter ... A couple years ago, after reading some reviews and you-tubes I decided to get one, bought it for the same reason I got the Bren Smile it's a nice AR alternative but weighs about the same as the Bren.

I can't give you a comparison with the scar, but at the time, the ACR was about a grand, the non reciprocating and ambidextrous charge handle and other reviews sold me ... it's well built, the furniture all has the MagPul logo on it. While the ACR doesn't have a bolt release it does have a last round bolt hold open so you know when your empty unlike the AK and many other popular rifles. The barrel is a medium contour, M4 style with a 1/9 twist which is fine for the 55-69 grain bullets that I typically shoot. You can take it down without tools and the piston system is very light. Another up-side is that you can use pretty much any AR trigger group (I replaced mine with the RRA Match) You do have to make a slight modification to the trigger spring or use the original. If you wander over to the ACR forms they have a lot of info and there is/was someone making 300BO conversions ... as usual, companies that "say" there will be multipal caliber's typically don't get around to them but the ACR was a product of the original Bushmaster, the multi-caliber's, like the rest of the rest of it was droped by the new owners and no other caliber's (9mm IIRC) were developed.

With all this talk about these toys in the back of my safe, I pulled them both out to make them both "dirty girls" again.

I also have both the Bren 805 and the ACR, the ACR of which is SBR'ed; I'm still waiting on the stamp for the Bren 805.

As others have mentioned, they're heavy for what they are, a rifle that shoots the 5.56mm round. They won't do anything better than a good AR15 wound do, but they do offer a change in the monotony of AR's. Variety and spice and all that.

As to whether I would recommend getting one, sure, why not? Both of my rifles (sample size of one) are reliable and fun to shoot. They're expensive, but so is the SCAR 16 and that has a loyal, and vocal, following. Just don't expect super great accuracy that would rival the AR.

Just a point: the ACR does have a bolt release--it's the same as the bolt hold. Rather than lifting up on the bolt hold, just press down and it'll release the bolt. It doesn't have one in the traditional sense of an AR, though.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
For those holding off on an S1 purchase in anticipation of potential Bren 2 release to US civilians, what is the advantage of the 2 over the 1?

I’m thinking of getting the 10.5 S1 pistol just for fun.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
For those holding off on an S1 purchase in anticipation of potential Bren 2 release to US civilians, what is the advantage of the 2 over the 1?

Non-reciprocating charging handle, bolt release, lighter weight, better stock, additional gas position. Basically, fix most of the common complaints about the Bren 1.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
<SNIP>
As to whether I would recommend getting one, sure, why not? Both of my rifles (sample size of one) are reliable and fun to shoot. They're expensive, but so is the SCAR 16 and that has a loyal, and vocal, following. Just don't expect super great accuracy that would rival the AR.

Just a point: the ACR does have a bolt release--it's the same as the bolt hold. Rather than lifting up on the bolt hold, just press down and it'll release the bolt. It doesn't have one in the traditional sense of an AR, though.

Your right ... as long as the buyer isn't wanting / expecting the Bren to be in any way like AR, other than they shoot the same round.

I'm going to have to look at my ACR again ...

I took them both out on Sunday ... they both preformed as expected, perfectly in form and function ... I didn't shoot for MOA accuracy, but both are typically more accurate than an average AK ... but they do compare very closely to my Valmet, which sadly to say also needs some range time!

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Non-reciprocating charging handle, bolt release, lighter weight, better stock, additional gas position. Basically, fix most of the common complaints about the Bren 1.

CZ and IWI are two comapnies that seem to truly listen to end user feedback.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
. Any thoughts on the ACR itself?

Im honestly surprised the ACR is still around. Failed promises of readily available(sound familiar?) caliber conversions and barrels slowed its popularity. Im pretty much against anything under the Freedom Group umbrella so the ACR was never a fleeting consideration.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Thanks for the reply. All valid upgrades; if the price point is similar and the Bren 2 comes to market in CY18, I'm in! That said, the stock isn't a player for me since I'm looking exclusively at the pistol.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
. Any thoughts on the ACR itself?

Im honestly surprised the ACR is still around. Failed promises of readily available(sound familiar?) caliber conversions and barrels slowed its popularity. Im pretty much against anything under the Freedom Group umbrella so the ACR was never a fleeting consideration.

That and the $2K+ price tag. It also didn’t help that they had a safety recall very soon after release.

To be fair, the ACR is not a bad gun and for all of the Freedon Group/Cerberus/Bushmaster hating, is actually pretty decently built. It’s main problems are weight, price, and lack of support.

And yes I do actually own an ACR.