SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ Bren 805 S1
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Bren 805 S1 Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
<SNIP>
That and the $2K+ price tag. It also didn’t help that they had a safety recall very soon after release.

To be fair, the ACR is not a bad gun and for all of the Freedon Group/Cerberus/Bushmaster hating, is actually pretty decently built. It’s main problems are weight, price, and lack of support.

And yes I do actually own an ACR.

I didn't get mine when they first came out, in-fact IIRC mine was built in 2009 and I bought it for around 14 or 15 it was old stock in 13 or 14 ... but looking at GunBroker there are still some out there, prices range from $1350 to almost $2200 ... mine was a basic but it had the folding stock on it ... I think as time progressed they tried different options to up sales ... this configuration was exactly what I was wanting.

As to support, I wasn't getting the accuracy I thought it was capable of and in seating the barrel the ratchet wasn't very tight ... instead of sending it in for warranty I measured my shim and got on the website, pulled up the parts list called and ordered the next two thicker shims ... I had the parts in 4-5 days, installed the next larger one and it was much tighter, the next one was too big and it wouldn't ratchet closed, went back to the first one and my accuracy, from the bench went from 3-4 inches to a little over an inch.

Still one of my pet peaves is the safety is plastic and it doesn't click ... its mushy Roll Eyes

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
<SNIP>
Just a point: the ACR does have a bolt release--it's the same as the bolt hold. Rather than lifting up on the bolt hold, just press down and it'll release the bolt. It doesn't have one in the traditional sense of an AR, though.

When I took it out on Sunday I remembered it ... I think I like it better than the AR BHO/R ... but the Bren still doesn't have one, but for the life of me I can't remember what the little oblong button above the mag release (on the right side) is for ... Help?

https://s20.postimg.org/u74v02xr1/IMG_2300.jpg

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
<SNIP>
Just a point: the ACR does have a bolt release--it's the same as the bolt hold. Rather than lifting up on the bolt hold, just press down and it'll release the bolt. It doesn't have one in the traditional sense of an AR, though.

When I took it out on Sunday I remembered it ... I think I like it better than the AR BHO/R ... but the Bren still doesn't have one, but for the life of me I can't remember what the little oblong button above the mag release (on the right side) is for ... Help?

https://s20.postimg.org/u74v02xr1/IMG_2300.jpg

That’s the manual BHO on the Bren. Since it’s just a button, you can only press it in to manually lock the bolt back. There’s no way to pull it out to manually release the bolt. You have to use the charging handle to pull the bolt back a bit for the BHO to drop.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Dho

Sometimes I amaze myself ...

However, in this day and age you would think any new to market firearm would have not only a BHO ... but also a release, preferably one that could be accessed by the trigger finger.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate everyones reply to the thread and their thoughts on the rifles. So I had a friend let me borrow a CZ Bren, I really like it.... but groups at 100 yards were about 1.25". When running some drills it got hot very quickly. With that forward weight it is like I am pushing it around.

Then I opened up the safe and was like I have two brand new HK SL8-6's so why not finally break down and build a G36c. Started researching them and want to take a wild guess at what I found

So I think I just want a ACR, since everything wants to be a ACR now... But I want the Remington one not the Bushmaster one.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most everyone would rather have the Remington version of the ACR, but since it’s not available to civilians, it’s the Bushmaster ACR or no ACR.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If weight is a concern, why not look at the newest Beretta. It's stupidly light and near the $1000 mark. Just to throw something not yet mentioned into the hat.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most everyone would rather have the Remington version of the ACR, but since it’s not available to civilians, it’s the Bushmaster ACR or no ACR.

Yea, that whole thing was such a bizarre business choice: we’re going to make a great weapon, and for no good reason a lesser one that we’ll sell to the public. What the heck were they thinking? I think the Remington one would have worked very well had it been the only version released.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
If weight is a concern, why not look at the newest Beretta. It's stupidly light and near the $1000 mark. Just to throw something not yet mentioned into the hat.

Do you mean the ARX-100? At 6.8 lbs, I wouldn’t call it stupidly light. That’s about the weight of a typical M4 configured AR.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone has one but I don't remember ever seeing a review on the ARX ... Most people I've seen talk about the 100 or the 160 don't care for the guppie like look of it.

posted Hide Post
I'm all about the Bren 805. I have the pistol variant and it's great. I'm a piston gun guy so I'm used to something a pinch front heavy, doesn't bother me at all.

I have a SCAR 16 and 17, so I'm very familiar with that platform, and I say for half the price the CZ is a better weapon. Built like a brick shithouse, bolt feels like it's mounted on ball bearings, stock trigger is much better than that of the SCAR, etc etc. If I had to go to war tomorrow I'd feel 100% confident with it by my side.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
This thread lit the fire about the retro mag well ... Last time I considered it I was out of gun money, but when I got the avaibility notice I thought, that's why we have plastic! Now for the ACR stock adapter Smile

Although I'm not usually a fan of rock-in mags, and I like the mag compatability, in this instance I think it looks ... right ... and less clunky. There was a retaining pin in the AR magwell adapter, but not in the retro adapter so now I can switch it out in 2 minutes or so.

posted Hide Post
Smooth Gun! Not quite as accurate as a good AR or SCAR but what else is?

FWIW on one of mine I have the CZ Mags Magwell, it runs just fine with Magpul G36 pattern mags. A local store had several cheap so I stocked up a bit. The optional magwell with the extra mags is pretty inexpensive in the first place but in certain rare instances like mine G36 mag compatability may be a positive for the gun.....

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifles but I guess I'll never own one. We are full up.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:

Do you mean the ARX-100? At 6.8 lbs, I wouldn’t call it stupidly light. That’s about the weight of a typical M4 configured AR.

Yeah, that is heavier than my clone of a 20” Colt 604 (slick sided carry handle), and I am using an incorrect heavier profile barrel (hybrid profile, heavier under the hand guard, pencil after the gas block).

I think the Italian rifles just balance well. The Benelli MR1 is 8 lbs, but it felt lighter to me than my Mini14 (580), despite the Mini14 being objectively lighter. Though the ARX has that stumpy T-rex arm of a stock.

Whatever happens, I eagerly await the time when CZ USA finally releases the second generation of this rifle to the US civilian market. A bit over one pound shaved off of the weight, presumably all from the receiver.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I too am eagerly away the U.S. release of the Bren 806. It is everything I want in a defensive carbine

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I want an 806 in 7.62X39.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Nick and @mbinky

Same! I would very much like an 806 in 762x39. It would be a wonderful day when I can get one. Even in CA, I'll have to find a way.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glow:
@Nick and @mbinky

Same! I would very much like an 806 in 762x39. It would be a wonderful day when I can get one. Even in CA, I'll have to find a way.

Now that would be a reason for me to buy an 806!

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by glow:
@Nick and @mbinky

Even in CA, I'll have to find a way.

By the time they come out, I will be sitting comfortably in Tennessee.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post