SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How many mags do you keep loaded?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many mags do you keep loaded? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have enough ammo to easily load all my mags, I just keep a large batch of AR & Glock mags loaded - I think they fill up 2 x 50Cal ammo cans, plus 2 x 30cal ammo cans; then I have about 12-15 of each for training only - sometimes I reload them when I get back from the range, sometimes I forget and load them up the night before I plan on going to the range; then I have another large stash stored in new condition, unloaded. I didn't have as many AR15 magazines loaded originally, but seeing the last SCOTUS nomination process pissed me off and I needed something to do with myself Wink

In the rare case I have had a magazine break, I pull new mags from the new stash and replace. The manufacture replaced those mags under warranty (poor heat treated SCAR 17 mags) and those went back into the 'new' stash.

If I end up dying because I didn't have enough loaded magazines, I'd expect there to be a small horde of enemy dead at my feet, along with a couple of burnt out AR barrels in my rifles.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
The HD guns are of course all loaded. The piles and piles of extra mags are not. If needed, there's plenty of "New York reloads" at hand.
I don't need to waste time loading mags at the range. I load them before I go or if it's a really early start, mandatory this time of year, load them the night before.
If I loaded all my mags, I wouldn't have a clue what bullet weight was in them without a label and the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze for me.

This is my thought also.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Two Glock 21 mags one pmag.
Clups and edged weapons available as well.

My location is somewhat benign of immediate threats.

When social tensions ramp-up I load-up as needed.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
About a dozen 30rd AR mags with a mixture of M-193 and M-855, plus a couple of 20 rounders loaded with M-262 equivalent (Black Hills). Two or three spares for my nightstand pistol and a couple for my carry gun. One shotgun has a full tube, chamber empty.

Range mags I usually leave unloaded until the night before a trip to the range. I've also got a good stash of new mags, most of them still in shrink wrap or blister packs, that I reserve for replacing worn out mags, trading purposes, or the apocalypse.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
A handful of AR mags and 3 or 4 pistol mags for several guns. I'm not going to keep 100 AR mags or scar mags loaded.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I keep three mags loaded for each AR. The rest of the collated ammo is on stripper clips. The bulk ammo is in metal ammo boxes.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought a lot of mags in case of future regulation, banning, and general unavailability. As such, I like to keep the spare is in brand new condition. Loading your magazines will shorten your magazine spring as it takes a set. This will shorten the life of your magazine spring. So honestly, It’s probably a better idea to store your magazines empty that you don’t use.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Eight M16 mags loaded in my LBV and another eight in a different LBV. And one 20 rounder in the AR by the bed....

When I retired I gave them back the Velcro patch that says Po-leese .

The LBVs were mine. I’m not in the high speed low drag business anymore, but I still have the Kung-fu grip!

And maybe two mags for the G19....anything else is only loaded when I go to the range

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
8-30 rd mags loaded with 20 rds each in a level4 plate carrier. 1- 60 pmag drum in the AR. Grab bag loaded with 8 glock 9 mm mags from 12-15 rd along with 6 30 rd ar mags. 4 AK Pmags in a tandem
set up.
Keep another 6 in a gun grab bag that has the Ar Pistol. Thats it an I rotate the mags once a year

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Two BM 59's with 26 mags loaded. Two ACR's with a carrier with 6 mags and 20 rd mags in the gun. 5 220's in 45, 9 Mil, 38 with at least 5 per and the 45's having a metric shit ton of loaded. 228 with 7, 229 9 Mil with 6, 226 357 Sig with 6. G'lock 20 and 21 with 6, 19 with 4. Ruger GP 100 3 inch Wiley Clapp loaded 6 with three Speedloaders, S&W 2 inch Combat Masterpiece with 6 and three Speedloaders. I think I got them all.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a go bag with 5 loaded 30 rounders. I have a locked away box on my truck with a couple of hundred rounds of 556.
The rest is stored in a big tote that I could throw on the truck.
If something happened I’d probably forget my rifle..or lose my keys..

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post