SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fun gun in 5.56 or 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun gun in 5.56 or 9mm? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Get a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm, Glock mag version

It will take your G17 mags.

It's a fun little carbine!

I know there's lots of KT haters on this site, but these are cool little things and they shoot well.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My MPX is my ultimate fun gun. Runs like a top and the recoil impulse is so soft and smooth that it's incredibly controllable during rapid fire. It just puts a huge smile on your face. 30 rounds go by very quickly so I feed it cheap range 9mm and hammer the steel plates in the outdoor pistol bays. I also really like how similar the ergonomics and controls are to a standard AR15.

I often shoot it in my backyard using 158 grain subsonic ammo with a can, and it's quieter than any of the 300 BO semi-auto rifles I've compared it against. I have no gas blowback issues with 3 different suppressors and multiple types of ammo. A couple local friends bought MPXs after shooting mine and they are all having a blast.

The new SP5K is neat since it's retro but it's selling for almost 2X what an MPX costs, and without a threaded barrel you are spending even more just to add a can to it.

For me the ergonomics of the CZ Scorpion were horrible. The safety lever couldn't be in a worse spot and the pistol grip has a weird angle. Overall the gun has so much polymer it felt cheap, even the top picatinny rail is polymer. Upon shooting it had more felt recoil than the MPX since it's a blowback design. Nothing like the good old UMP 45 but there was a difference compared to the MPX. But yes the CZ mags are indeed much cheaper. Big Grin

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Get a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm, Glock mag version

It will take your G17 mags.

It's a fun little carbine!

I know there's lots of KT haters on this site, but these are cool little things and they shoot well.

There are a quite a few satisfied Sub2K owners on SF too.

A little PDW that I have my eye on that is starting to make waves is the Extar EP9. It uses Glock 9mm mags, has a 6.5" barrel on AR platform, and made in USA. On top of that, it's only $419.

I've not found any bad reviews about it yet.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hunterex
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
So I1639 happened. I guess I’m gonna have to get a move on. It’ll come down to what I can reasonably find a good deal on locally at this point. Soggy, you got a line on a black SCAR in either flavor?

I'll have Steam up on my phone for the rest of the day. Get in touch with me there. Regardless of whatever is going on right now, I can be of help toward this.

Posts: 102 | Registered: November 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Shorty ARs in 9mm are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

The various subguns are fun, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to say what I would go after if I had some extra funds. I do like the new Hk SP5 I guess it is called for us civies, as I have always wanted a real HK carbine. I have had a couple clones but they never worked right. The PS90 is a great little carbine but the trigger takes some getting used to and it is another caliber to stock up on. A SCAR would be nice as well. I had a .45 KRISS pistol and it was a nice gun, although it was a pain in the neck to charge with it's hammer down. That was the only complaint I had with it as it was amazingly accurate. You already have the FS2000, which I think is a great rifle. I also like the idea of a nice lever action rifle in .38/.357 and am on the lookout for one myself.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It's hard to say what I would go after if I had some extra funds. I do like the new Hk SP5 I guess it is called for us civies, as I have always wanted a real HK carbine. I have had a couple clones but they never worked right.

I'll be honest, I grew up on an HK91A3, so the HK action is familiar to me, but has pretty much zero appeal. I've shot an SBR'ed MP5 clone and while it was fun, it didn't get my nuts in a twist.

quote:
The PS90 is a great little carbine but the trigger takes some getting used to and it is another caliber to stock up on.

Hmm, the trigger I could deal with for the overall size. I don't love the trigger on my FS, but it works and I can shoot it fine.

quote:
A SCAR would be nice as well. I had a .45 KRISS pistol and it was a nice gun, although it was a pain in the neck to charge with it's hammer down. That was the only complaint I had with it as it was amazingly accurate.

Honestly, I think I'm trending SCAR at this point, in either caliber. I know it's a lotta squeeze for the juice, but it's on par with or above what I would be getting rid of to obtain one. In one flavor, I'm losing impact on the target in favor of plentiful mags and ammo (in the 16) and in the other, I'm looking for mags and ammo. I have a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 that is my absolute favorite handgun that doesn't get carried and would love to have a twin, and a matching lever action and sxs 12ga, but those things aren't on the docket to get regulated and registered at this point. Decisions, decisions.

I handled a Kriss carbine about a year ago when I was sure that I really, badly wanted one. I shouldered it once and that cured me, right there. The safety dug into my beefmitts and the weight was all wrong. I bought the FS2000 about a month later and have been quite enjoying it.

quote:
Originally posted by patw: You already have the FS2000, which I think is a great rifle.

As do I, and I recognize the ways in which it isn't an AR, and thusly inferior, so I accept its limitations. (LOL) Wink

quote:
Originally posted by patw:I also like the idea of a nice lever action rifle in .38/.357 and am on the lookout for one myself.

That's the one place I keep finding my eye wandering. I had a Marlin 1894C in .44 mag. It's one of the few rifles I've regretted letting go of and would love a nice stainless levergun in .357. But anything I want to own as a semi-auto that isn't "on the books" as far as state registration needs to happen before June, looks like. I want to go ahead and reorganize the safe getting rid of shit that never ventures out in favor of putting most of my eggs in a few baskets to have some nice stuff that I actually have fun shooting.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
9mm AR!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post