SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fun gun in 5.56 or 9mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun gun in 5.56 or 9mm? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I am looking to change it up. Some family guns with bad memories are getting cleared out of the safe along with some guitar gear between the lot of it, I should be looking at at least several grand in pure "replace the toys" money. I want something really nice I can leave to my son that he can operate easily at a young enough age and won't pummel my messed-up shoulder. I have lent some thought to picking up a nice Colt 1911, but for today, let's just muse on rifles and carbines.

What would you buy? Have and love an FS2000, I've got AR's, was looking at PS90's last night just for giggles, and at that price a FiveSeven just for giggles to complete the FN late 90's thing. I'm not a Tavor fan. Could get talked into an AUG. SCAR series looks good, but I'm not sure. I can't pony up enough for an M82A1, but there's part of me that's always wanted a Barrett rifle, for reasons, so how are their AR's? But really, AR's aren't super interesting to me at the moment and I'm looking to replace rare and unusual with at least unusual. Bullpups are my new Favorite Thing.

I also wouldn't be averse to owning a subgun type thing, which would be new to me. Got Glock 17 mags, so that could be handy. Is the Ruger PC9 looking reliable? Is the CZ Skorpion EVO the new reigning champ? I handled a Kriss Vector and immediately did not like it, so there's that.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
MPX-K. At least that's what I'd get. Really, though, an MP5, but that's a little (lot) more, so MPX-K for me.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first sub gun is the MPX carbine. My second is the Gen 2 Kriss Vector CRB in 40sw.

Both are in for form 1 sbr conversions.

While I really like my mpx. The Kriss is just that much better for a few reasons.

first, the felt recoil is less in the 40sw vector versus the 9mm mpx

second, Takes glock mags, even the cheap ets mags work every time.

third, you can buy 9mm and get a 357 sig or 40 sw exchange kit or any combo. If you buy the 45 acp, you can get a 10mm or any combo.

Now. How good are they?

I use a mro on my mpx and hit steel at 100yds standing. On the Kriss I have a romeo 4, and hit same steel plates at 100 yards.
the rifles.

They are great guns, I actually shoot these quite a bit more than my 5.56, 556r,308 rifles.

One final word about the Kriss and MPX. They only need a red dot. You don't have to gussy them up with triggers, fancy parts, 3rd party forends, redheaded virgin hand lubed bolts.

they just work, and work damn well.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
My Ruger PC9 has been flawless. Lots of fun to shoot but not nearly as cool as my Scorpion EVO.

Photo Jun 08, 10 26 20 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

DSCN1853 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Now, the AR Pistol in 556 is a BLAST to shoot!

Night Blast 2 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
One of the guys - "Leroy" ran the MOAC-R class with a PCC. Jones ran about 1/2 of the class with one.

I am inspired. They were a lot of fun. Moved right to the top of the list for me...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it's just for fun if you want something different you might consider a Kel-Tec RDB.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
CMMG Banshee? Not Uber expensive, but fun and comes in 9,45 and 5.7

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigNull:
Since it's just for fun if you want something different you might consider a Kel-Tec RDB.

Actually, I was interested in the RDB-S, specifically with the black stock and free float foregrip option as below:

But then this happened:

I am really attracted to the spacegun look, but man, they kinda made that one difficult to buy into with that bit of marketing. That and it's only available as pictured above, in "peesoup" green I've heard it called. I dunno. If I handled one in the configuration I mentioned, I might could get talked into it if I liked it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I need to handle a Kriss and Scorpion EVO carbine and see what I think. I would be ditching proprietary mags, so I guess I wouldn't have a problem just outright replacing them with other mags if I went with the EVO. I've been watching the aftermarket go nuts.

posted Hide Post
Are you in va? You can try my mpx qnd kriss

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat, looking for something a little different to shoot and I bought a Scorpion.
I have really enjoyed my Scorpion a whole lot more than I thought I would.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t say that I had the same luck with my Kriss .40 CRB and the ETS clear mags. I bought a number of them, and they all had difficulty engaging the mag catch, even with the bolt locked back. I’d have to slam the mag in to get it to catch; normal force like with the Glock factory extended mags just wouldn’t work. I was so worried about the ETS mag being ejected on firing, that I dumped mine and stuck with the factory mags.

Also, my understanding on the caliber “conversions” for the Vector is that since the barrel (that isn’t easily removable), bolt, and magwell are all in the serial numbered “lower”, you need to essentially buy another gun to get a different caliber. True, Kriss does sell lowers, but they are 50-70% the price of a complete gun, plus are a firearm, so require going through a dealer.

Bought my Vector mostly to use up the ton of .40 cal ammo that I’m sitting on, but to be honest, for PPCs I’d rather shoot my MPX Carbine, Scorpion EVO carbine, 9mm Tavor, or RRA LAR-9.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Scorpion - inexpensive, thriving aftermarket, and reasonable magazine prices.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Scorpion - inexpensive, thriving aftermarket, and reasonable magazine prices.

This.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My AR9 has been more fun than allowed by law. You should love it if you get a 9mm rifle.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I want something really nice I can leave to my son that he can operate easily at a young enough age and won't pummel my messed-up shoulder.

...let's just muse on rifles and carbines.
Got Glock 17 mags..

9mm carbine/SBR/pistols that use Glock magazines:
- JP Rifles
- Wilson Combat

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Bullpups: if you can actually FIND one, the ATRAX F-90 bullpup (AUG pattern) from Lithgow Arms out of Australia would have a HUGE 'kewl' factor for a 5.56 rifle. The F-88/F-90 is earmarked as the Aussie military's battle rifle for the foreseeable future, replacing the venerable AUG. Brownell's has a product page for it but they don't have any in stock. It's about the same money as the Steyr but what's attractive about the F-90 is that it represents a lot of development and advancement to the AUG pattern rifle where meanwhile Steyr hasn't done all that much if anything during the same timeframe.

9mm: the SP5K is also pretty 'kewl', too. I got to shoot one yesterday (one I ordered and received for a customer a few months back) and I must say that I wouldn't mind having one for myself. Of all of the MP5-style guns currently in production for us civilians, it's the ONLY ONE that can claim 'HK' on its flanks. I've already crowed about my Gen2 MPX a lot here on the forum but it IS an AR pattern gun at its heart. Fugly as it is, for pure and simple fun the relatively inexpensive Ruger PC Carbine is hard to beat, and you already have G17 mags for it. Also got to try one of those yesterday and I must say that I'm going to pick one of those up Real Soon Now as a result. Especially given all of the 33rd Glock mags I have lying around.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Are you in va? You can try my mpx qnd kriss

I appreciate the offer, but I'm nearby the house you sold on the other side of the country. I don't get over to Va very much.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations, I've got a lot to look into. That ATRAX F-90 looks like that might hit the spot, but like you said, soggy, that's if I can find one. I've got some moves to make first and since I intend this to be an investment or investments, I don't have to rush it, but I have a feeling the local market is going to be really hot for what 1639 is trying to call SAR's soon, I find it as a good a time as any to make some adjustments to the collection in advance of all that nonsense.

The Scorpion is starting to look like a lead contender for now, but that leaves me with quite a bit left that I may just have to turn into magazines and optics for the important stuff which may be the right thing to do anyhow. That and ammo.

I gave a bit more thought to the 9mm pistol versions of a few types mentioned and my searches introduced me to the B&T family of subguns and pistols. Let's just say they suddenly have my interest, but I need to do a ton of research and see what it would cost me to find one locally as my state charges a 10% tax on ANY firearm imported from out of state. So it makes a difference. But from what little I was able to glean on youtube of a few different variants last night, they make a number of very high quality offerings.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I want something really nice I can leave to my son that he can operate easily at a young enough age and won't pummel my messed-up shoulder.

...let's just muse on rifles and carbines.
Got Glock 17 mags..

9mm carbine/SBR/pistols that use Glock magazines:
- JP Rifles
- Wilson Combat
Palmetto State Armory also makes 9mm ARs that use Glock magazines. Currently in stock:
  • 8" Pistol
  • 10.5" Pistol
  • 16" Rifle

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    So I1639 happened. I guess I’m gonna have to get a move on. It’ll come down to what I can reasonably find a good deal on locally at this point. Soggy, you got a line on a black SCAR in either flavor?