SIGforum
Bullet placement for hunting bears

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8850038144

May 16, 2018, 02:38 PM
sagemind100
Bullet placement for hunting bears
Looking for some thoughts from you bear hunters....where do you try to place your first shot? Please respond for any of the following shots you take:

broadside
facing you
quartering towards you
quartering away

Of these, which do you prefer?

Have always hunted moose and caribou, gonna add interior grizzly to the chase this year, so I'm looking for shot placement advice. I'll be bringing a .338 Win Mag shooting 225 gr Swift A Frames.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, and good hunting.
May 16, 2018, 04:46 PM
sigfreund
I am not a hunter, but some suggestions here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
May 16, 2018, 06:41 PM
old rugged cross
Pretty much the same as your M&C imho. Same results if done correctly.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
May 16, 2018, 08:32 PM
FrankMoses
I would only say to consider a 250 grain bullet and maybe pass on the “quartering away” shot, unless he was already hit and is lighting out for the territory.
May 17, 2018, 07:11 AM
45 Cal
only shot one ,deer hunting in a fallen dead tree top,big bore was seventy feet coming straight to me.
front shot center of chest.drt. 30.06 150 nosler b t
Sure was good eating,actually it was the best wild game I ever had.
I had a cookout with a bunch of Atlanta sig Forum members ,most thought it was just plain old deer Big Grin
May 17, 2018, 01:03 PM
CPD SIG
Kneecap!
That bear is charging us, I'm putting one right in the closest persons kneecap...

I ain't gotta outrun the bear, I just gotta outrun the slowest person I'm with.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
May 17, 2018, 02:21 PM
muzzleloader
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I am not a hunter, but some suggestions here.

Excellent info there sig, exactly where I looked before my first black bear hunt. Our outfitter instructed us to NOT go for the quartering toward you shot, too much heavy bone. I always try for the slight quartering away and slip it right behind where the front leg attaches. I was using a 6.5 swede tho, not a .338

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
May 17, 2018, 02:41 PM
Ryanp225
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Kneecap!
That bear is charging us, I'm putting one right in the closest persons kneecap...

May 17, 2018, 08:33 PM
FrankMoses
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Kneecap!

I like what you did there. Back when TWD was good.
May 17, 2018, 08:46 PM
DSgrouse
Through both lungs, preferably lower. Bow, crossbow, gun, arrow, bolt or bullet. The fastest humane way to put any animal down repeatedly is to wait for a broadside shot through the lower lungs. In a whitetail deer, they can bleed out in 6-10 seconds. 1 lung and it can go up to 30 seconds. High up on the lung it can be as much as a minute.

Make it through both lungs, broadside, quartering to or away....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,
May 18, 2018, 11:01 AM
sagemind100
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Kneecap!

I like what you did there. Back when TWD was good.

Much love for all weighted people but I’ve heard running towards the fattest person is the best way to be safe when a Bear charges at you.
May 18, 2018, 03:03 PM
BB61
What type of ammo are you shooting? If you are shooting a solid or hard cast round, shot placement is different than an expandable round.

May 19, 2018, 09:16 PM
MarinetoRN
I tell everyone who comes out to hunt bears: shoot them in the head. Then shoot them in the head again. No way in hell do I want to blood trail a bear. If you've never seen it, you have no idea the damage they can do to you. Shoot them in the head. Then shoot them in the head again!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.
May 19, 2018, 09:33 PM
old rugged cross
That would in no way be my first choice but to each his own MRN.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
May 19, 2018, 11:23 PM
Tommydogg
quote:
Originally posted by MarinetoRN:
I tell everyone who comes out to hunt bears: shoot them in the head. Then shoot them in the head again. No way in hell do I want to blood trail a bear. If you've never seen it, you have no idea the damage they can do to you. Shoot them in the head. Then shoot them in the head again!

2 to the chest, 1 to the head?

Beth Greene
May 20, 2018, 08:24 AM
SIGfourme
Broadside-as the foreleg moves away to allow direct shot at heart/lungs.
Black bear- 45/70. 444 Marlin. 30/06
Grizzly- some guides are very particular about caliber. 375 Ruger in stainless is popular. A stainless thumper that hits hard and drops. Grizzly hunts are damp, dark and desolate.
May 20, 2018, 02:22 PM
sigcrazy7
That’s a great combination. A .338 with a 225 Swift A-Frame is a solid bear load. Perhaps going to a 240 grn North Fork bullet would be slightly better for quartering shots, but they’re expensive.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus