SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    JDI imported SAN/Swiss Arms 550P...finally here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JDI imported SAN/Swiss Arms 550P...finally here Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yes, SAN always marks their parts with the year of manufacture. JDI sells the proper Swiss parts

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that the barrel has the rings unlike the preban imports! Can you post pic of opposite side?

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
That rifle is a thing of beauty. Soooooo jealous.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, but what you posted originally is no longer a pistol. What form/paperwork did you have to do to convert it into the current rifle?

nothing. Its a 20" barrel so not controlled by NFA. I have a US trigger set from ShootingSight, US-made 556 bolt carrier, bolt and 3D printed mag base and follower from Gatewood Supply for 922r compliance. That said, 922(r) is for a manufacturer/importer/makers though BATFE has decisions all over the map on this point.

Regarding the pistol-to-rifle aspect: it's the same conversion to rifle ruling that applies to aftermarket conversions like the Mech Tech carbine system for 1911 and Glock lowers. As long as the end result meets the legal definition of what a rifle needs to be per BATFE then it's fine. Plus there's no penalty if the weapon is converted back to a pistol configuration since it originally was built as a pistol.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-registering-firearm

Really gorgeous rifle, btw. Envious indeed I am.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Pretty jealous, lol.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they are extremely nice and what a great opportunity to get one of the old greats. I picked up a couple myself.. Also have a couple extra Sig green bayonets laying around if anyone is in need of one

Posts: 16 | Registered: April 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I guess it's OK ... If ya like that kinda thing.

But seriously, enjoy!

Oh, I guess that is my only question, are you going to shoot it?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Of course. I shoot nearly everything I own.

SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Where does one get this? And how much should I budget for it?

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
No more are being imported, but, look up JDI Firearms on Facebook. They have some special editions coming over.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
No more are being imported, but, look up JDI Firearms on Facebook. They have some special editions coming over.

And they sold out with little to no advertising ... probably keep an eye on GunBroker for wildly inflated prices.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Considering a pre-ban rifle used to go for a LOT more, its not really that inflated. If anything, its pulled the prices of pre-bans down a bit....there's a pre-ban listed now that's far lower than expected.

The prices JDI has sold all the 55x for is generally under GB prices for the same so demand clearly remains strong.

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
What I don't get is, why would JDI spent all the efforts in getting these imported into the country, but then stop after only bringing in a handful?

I mean if they can do it legally, why couldn't they just continue to import them for as long as there's demand?

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
What I don't get is, why would JDI spent all the efforts in getting these imported into the country, but then stop after only bringing in a handful?

I mean if they can do it legally, why couldn't they just continue to import them for as long as there's demand?

It is my understanding JDI does not want to devalue existing prebans by flooding the market. Furthermore, SAN probably couldn't keep up with demand. Dave Wagner is balancing this effort rather nicely by making them affordable to serious collectors who otherwise would not pay 7-8k for a 55x.

Just stay tuned to JDI's Facebook page where I'm sure more great opportunities will be posted!

Posts: 150 | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If SIG USA would actually sell that, they couldn’t make enough to keep them in stock. Instead, we get or got the fish gill 556, the 556 M4, the 556 pick your designation, the 556xi, the MCX and now the Virtus and they wonder why people aren’t enthused with their rifle line. I sometimes think the marketing people at SIG are secretly working for HK or FNH.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll start the bidding at 50 bucks and 3rd born child

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnificent looking Rifle.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
A challenger appears...

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Ohhh ... and your's both have the evil bayo lug mount ... and one even has the dongle to lock the bayonet on!

Evil evil rifles!
(nice)

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have always loved the gray green color on the sig rifles but that black receiver is making me rethink my preference... Great looking rifles!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post