SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any issues with an EOTech 512 now?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any issues with an EOTech 512 now? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
For some reason EOTech really has caught my eye but I was wondering if they have worked through all the recall issues?

If so, would the 512 be a good sight for a fun gun shooting plates 100 yds and under?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The problem(s) never would have been an issue for that, as long as you keep the sight in normal T-shirt temp ranges.

It was the fact the the cocksuckers knowingly allowed soldiers, marines, and sailors, as well as tens of thousands of law enforcement, to carry their sights in environmental conditions that the company KNEW would make the sights unreliable. For a decade.

Fuck those guys.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Word. Even if the issues have been corrected, Eotech has lost my business for good.

I got refunds for my Eotechs and then happily handed the money over to Aimpoint.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
For some reason EOTech really has caught my eye but I was wondering if they have worked through all the recall issues?

If so, would the 512 be a good sight for a fun gun shooting plates 100 yds and under?

"If, then...?"

Yes.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware of how big these issues were. I guess that's why they gave everyone their money back.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They gave everybody their money back because they would've lost their asses in court.

Technically have they solved their issues? Yeah. Most of them. They claim.

For a fun gun I'd probably go Vortex or something.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say they have mastered the problem. I love the Eotech recticle. But the fact remains it isn't stable.
Latest for them...
EOTech’s sights experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is exposed to a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. After zeroing the sight at or near ambient temperature (73°F), the zero position will shift during operating temperature changes. For sights manufactured after October 2016, the typical shift will be between approximately 1.4 and 1.8 minutes of angle (“MOA”). Due to manufacturing variations, however, a particular sight has the potential to shift a maximum of approximately 3.5 MOA at -4°F and 122°F. Sights manufactured prior to October 2016 have the potential to shift approximately +/- 5 MOA at -40°F and 122°F.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a new production Eotech because my wife and i both have astigmatism. Its not nearly as bad for me, so i have an aimpoint PRO as well. But my wife cant see a dot in the Aimpoint because it "starbursts" too much. The Eotech, she says, is muuch clearer and her shooting agrees.

I wont ever see the conditions that would cause eotech to malfunction, so i cant attest to any issues being "fixed" or not.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I never had any issue with mine before I sold them back to Eotech and one of my rifles was subject daily to 120+ riding around in my Jeep in AZ. Most if not all were of the 512 variety. I recently picked up an EXPS-3 and have used it most recently in -15 temps although my range was limited to 75 yards, I still didn't notice any shift in POI. While I love the Eotech reticle, it seems like it's not as bright as I remember and becomes fairly faint in the brightest conditions.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
The problem(s) never would have been an issue for that, as long as you keep the sight in normal T-shirt temp ranges.

It was the fact the the cocksuckers knowingly allowed soldiers, marines, and sailors, as well as tens of thousands of law enforcement, to carry their sights in environmental conditions that the company KNEW would make the sights unreliable. For a decade.

Fuck those guys.
+1000

I'd buy one of the SIG Sour ChiCom Romeos before an Eotrash. At least then I wouldn't expect it to be balls accurate and uber durable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
I never had any issue with mine before I sold them back to Eotech and one of my rifles was subject daily to 120+ riding around in my Jeep in AZ. Most if not all were of the 512 variety. I recently picked up an EXPS-3 and have used it most recently in -15 temps although my range was limited to 75 yards, I still didn't notice any shift in POI. While I love the Eotech reticle, it seems like it's not as bright as I remember and becomes fairly faint in the brightest conditions.

How do you like that little RMR?

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've had a vortex SparcAR riding on an AR pistol that has seen some honest use. Banging around in the cab of a tractor, riding behind the seat of a truck. Been out in the rain more than a couple times.

Still hitting plates at 200-225 yards with 55gr ball.

For under $200, I am impressed.

For Eotech money, you could buy a Steiner P4Xi and have some magnification.

If 100 yards is really your max, go Vortex and spend the rest on ammo.

I wouldn't give Eotech a dime. They knew about their issues and never disclosed it until forced.

On a sight that they knew went into combat, I consider that unconscionable.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Fuck those guys.

Yup this !!!

I sent mine back as soon as I could. My buddy seemed to have no issue with it which really surprised me.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
They never had my business before but they never will after what they pulled.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my EOTech back to EOTech. I'd go with the Vortex UH-1 instead. A very good sight with a better reticle.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
I sold my EOTech back to EOTech. I'd go with the Vortex UH-1 instead. A very good sight with a better reticle.

They're big. Bigger than an EOTech 512.

I had one on pre-order with Optics Planet. I don't know whether it was OP, Vortex, or both that was responsible for this, but, when people started getting them from other vendors while OP was still estimating another 3-6 months for delivery, I cancelled.

It turned out to be an easy decision because that optic had (?) some pretty serious teething issues. From what I saw Vortex made them right, or tried to, but still...

I think I'd wait for Gen. 2 on that optic.

As for EOTech: Near as I can tell they're resting on their laurels. (Which is odd, because, well, their laurels are kind of... tarnished.) As I noted, earlier: They claim to have addressed most of the issues with their HWS', but thermal drift is still an issue.

If EOTech still wanted to be a player, ISTM they'd re-design and re-engineer their product line to eliminate that problem to the extent possible.

Vortex claims to have done it. EOTech's parent certainly has a lot more cash to invest in R&D than Vortex, I should think.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
For Eotech money, you could buy a Steiner P4Xi and have some magnification.

They're slightly different tools, especially when it comes to field of view on 1X, but there is an awful lot to be said for thinking about the problem this way.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:

They're big. Bigger than an EOTech 512.

It turned out to be an easy decision because that optic had (?) some pretty serious teething issues. From what I saw Vortex made them right, or tried to, but still...

I think I'd wait for Gen. 2 on that optic.

Isn't the EOTech 512 over 2 inches longer than the UH-1? The UH-1 is about a 1/2 an inch taller than the 512 and both are within a few tenths of an oz.

And what teething issues are you referring to?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about the 512 but I use an xps2-2 and love it. Any sight will have poa poi shift if the temp changes too much from when the zero was set.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
Any sight will have poa poi shift if the temp changes too much from when the zero was set.

Confused

Despite decades of personal shooting experience and trying to learn from countless hunters, snipers, and competition shooters, that’s literally the first time I’ve seen that claim. I’m aware of how POI can shift (or be claimed to shift) due to barrel cleanliness, cold bore, aero jump, environmental conditions, spin drift, the Coriolis effect, bipod hop, various shooting technique errors, and other obscure stuff that I’ve probably forgotten, but never that.

How did you discover it? How much temperature shift is “too much”? Does it matter what sight? What sorts of testing (yours or anyone else’s) has been conducted to demonstrate it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post