SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    556 Rifle Ammo For A SIG AR 516 Arrived Slightly Damaged. Can I Shoot It?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

556 Rifle Ammo For A SIG AR 516 Arrived Slightly Damaged. Can I Shoot It? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
I bought half a case of Browning 556 ammo for a SIG 516 AR, and it came in slightly damaged packaging. About a dozen rounds have a dimple pressed into the neck of the cartridge. I don’t think it is enough to impede loading, but is there any concern that this could damage the rifle?

My experience is with HK rifles that divot the brass at the neck of the case when fired. Basically The HK9x series beats the heck out of the brass. I have no problem shooting anything out of my HK rifles. But, then, they are HK products, so they would shoot cartridges made of toilet paper and bailing wire and would still function. Big Grin

Sorry no pics. But the divot is about a quarter the size of raisin, if not smaller, a little below the bullet seating where the cartridge truncates into the wider diameter of the case.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Pictures would really be necessary to provide a better basis for judgment, but in my experience lightly dented cases are nothing to be concerned about.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Likely fine (like sigfreund says), but if you are all seriously concerned, is $4-5 of ammunition worth the risk???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
No problem. Small dents don’t raise pressure enough to harm anything and shooting it will remove the dent from the brass via fireforming before inflicting the usual H&K love mark.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only concern would be that it may not be factory new. Are these reloads or did you purchase them from a private entity? If so I'd be concerned about who loaded them and what they did. If its factory new id likely caulk it up to some kind of wear on their machinery but only pictures would really give us the info we need to help further.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
This stuff is factory new. The small dents are from the side of the package being dropped or shoved, I imagine. There is no creasing, bullet un-seating, or anything major like that. Just a dimple at the case neck. It is certainly not enough to cause loading/extraction malfs.

Sorry, still no pics yet. Yeah, yeah, I know that would be helpful. Razz

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Browning has a bit of a QC problem in the ammo group:

quote:
Originally posted by Beezer:
I bought a few boxes (200 rnd boxes) of Browning 9mm range ammo and out of 200 rounds, I had 20 or 30 that would not seat in the barrel of my Sig 365. I asked the armorer at my range to look at the rounds and he checked the diameter and they were just a bit larger than the rest of the 9mm in the box. Their Q&A department at Browning is slipping. I won’t buy Browning ammo again as it occurred in both my Sig and M&P. I know it’s range ammo but if they can’t get that right I’m certainly not spending money on +P or hollow points

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post