SIGforum
Anyone have a Savage/Stevens 940a .410 single shot? Ejector help

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8820046644

September 04, 2018, 04:45 PM
sjames
Anyone have a Savage/Stevens 940a .410 single shot? Ejector help
If you have a Savage/Stevens .410 shotgun Model 940A, I'd be so very grateful for a few pictures or measurements of your ejector and its spring.

BACKGROUND:
A friend lent me his Stevens Model 940A in .410 to see if my oldest (7) was ready to use it to dove hunt. (He wasn't!)

The gun was missing its ejector and spring so...as a way to repay the favor...I ordered the parts from Numrich to repair it.

You know the saying, no good deed goes unpunished?

Well, as you might imagine the parts did not just drop in and work. Knowing that I couldn't possible hurt his gun because I'd only be tweaking parts I'd paid for, I began to "fit" the ejector and spring in an attempt to get it to work.

I have failed...miserably! But now, I'm really interested in seeing how to make it work!

Basically, the ejector fits in the chamber groove, but, when fully assembled, will not allow a shell in the chamber. Through a combo of spring pressure and pin pressure, the ejector presses up.

Also, I had to cut the spring down a great deal just to get the action to close on the ejector.

Numrich Schematic: Link

First question: should I have to "fit" the extractor? The one I ordered off Numrich was in new condition but supposedly a replacement part.

The things I've tried:
-Shaping the ejector where it slides on the retaining pin

-Cutting the spring coil by coil until I could close the action

-The action will close now but I still have issues with the ejector keeping a new shell from being inserted. Now the spring is too weak to eject a spent shell, too.

The spring is cheap and I've ordered another replacement.

Again, if I can't fix it, the shotgun will be returned exactly as borrowed...but I'd like to see it through.

How would you go forward?
September 08, 2018, 04:45 PM
arfmel
I have received incorrect parts from Numrich many times. They seem to have some employees who have no clue. Perhaps that accounts for your problems.
September 08, 2018, 06:44 PM
sjames
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I have received incorrect parts from Numrich many times. They seem to have some employees who have no clue. Perhaps that accounts for your problems.

Very possible. Hopeful I can get it back together/functioning.