SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wearherby Orion O/U 12ga What do we think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wearherby Orion O/U 12ga What do we think? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I have the chance to purchase a NIB Weatherby Orion O/U 12ga, 28” for under $800. The shotgun is nice and well made, trim, swings well, etc., nice gun. It’s not a Beretta or Benelli, but appears to be a well made shotgun for the money. Any opinions?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
It is a very well made shotgun. If the gun fits and swings well, it is a decent price. I would have no problem at all using one as my primary O/U shotgun.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Is it a Weatherby Orion 1 made in Turkey or one of the older Orion made by SKB in Japan?

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
If it's the SKB in Japan version jump on it.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Can’t comment too much on the price value of the Weatherby Orion you are looking at (budsgunshop has them starting at $735) but I know it is made by ATA for Weatherby in Turkey. That’s not necessary a bad thing at this price point (after all, it’s not a $2000 shotgun) and Weatherby does enjoy a good reputation for standing behind its products and controlling quality out of Turkey. My son’s SA-08 is a fine little auto loader and is finished better than the budget beretta a300.

It may need some trigger work but it does not have automatic safeties like a beretta or browning and that is a good thing IMO. One of these days, I may get the auto safety disengaged on my 686 and citori.

Bottom line, the Weatherby Orion is probably a solid choice for an entry level O/U shotgun.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a beater weatherby pa-08 that I’ve used for all sorts of stuff, it’s made in turkey and is a bit rough (dosent matter for my uses) but has worked well, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Turkish shotgun.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have several Weatherby Mark V rifles, old and new, and feel the quality is fantastic.
When my Son started to want guns I bought him a handgun. I told him the next have to have gun is a 12ga shotgun.
I saw the Weatherby tactical shotgun on sale for about $300 (made in Turkey)and convinced him to order it (CDNN). I felt Weatherby would NOT put there name on a piece of crap and a good shotgun for $300 would be a good buy.
It came and I borrowed it a few times, I was impressed. I bought one for myself as a beater, added an extended magazine, and could not be happier. Everybody that shoots it loves it.
I now see them on sale at CDNN for $240, unbelievable bargain.
It ain't my beater anymore.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Where on the Orion are the proof marks and "Made in" information? We looked all over and while there is a City and State on the side of the barrel for California, no where can I find where it was manufactured. Hoping it's Japan, but betting it is probably Turkey.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Where on the Orion are the proof marks and "Made in" information? We looked all over and while there is a City and State on the side of the barrel for California, no where can I find where it was manufactured. Hoping it's Japan, but betting it is probably Turkey.

did you remove the barrels?

should be a manufacture mark or country on it somewhere,
sometimes they are under the handguard, or on the barrels where they are joined, and covered by the handguards and receiver

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I have several Weatherby Mark V rifles, old and new, and feel the quality is fantastic.
When my Son started to want guns I bought him a handgun. I told him the next have to have gun is a 12ga shotgun.
I saw the Weatherby tactical shotgun on sale for about $300 (made in Turkey)and convinced him to order it (CDNN). I felt Weatherby would NOT put there name on a piece of crap and a good shotgun for $300 would be a good buy.
It came and I borrowed it a few times, I was impressed. I bought one for myself as a beater, added an extended magazine, and could not be happier. Everybody that shoots it loves it.
I now see them on sale at CDNN for $240, unbelievable bargain.
It ain't my beater anymore.

Those weatherby pump guns were quite the bargain. Last year I went to cold bay for a week and we hunted all sorts of stuff eiders, brandts, sucks and geese. The weatherby pa08 hung right there with my wingmaster and didn’t have a hiccup.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$800 is a good price on a new Orion, not much over current dealer cost. I'm not a huge fan of the lower/mid priced Turkish guns, but ATA seems to have a reputation as being one of the better mid priced Turkish guns.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post