SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions about nitride finish on AR uppers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about nitride finish on AR uppers Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
I currently have 3 AR's and am contemplating another build. One of mine has a chrome lined phosphate finished barrel, and the other two have stainless barrels. I am considering a non chrome-lined barrel with nitride finish.

Tell me about nitride. How durable is it, and how does it stack up against phosphate and stainless barrels? If not chrome lined, does the rifle bore also get the nitride treatment?

Any comments, experiences, or suggestions are welcome.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I have a couple black rifles with the nitride treatment. Both clean up easily. One is a SW Sport with 3k rounds or so thru it. The other is a heavy varmint barrel with a few hundred thru it. The sport is as accurate today as when new. I know 3k is not a huge amount of ammo but so far so good.

Here is a thread from another forum that you might find helpful.

http://forum.accurateshooter.c...ound-update.3795644/

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m convinced that a nitrided barrel is fine for the majority of AR owners. I used to think I need CHF double chrome lined barrels. I just don’t see the upside for most people.

As far as cleaning, running a snake (bore cleaner and oil) through a nitrided barrel after extended shooting will get it squeaky clean.

I don’t know enough about chamber/throat erosion on chrome vs nitrided to comment on that aspect.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
How durable is it

Nitride is very durable. Think Glock.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:and how does it stack up against phosphate and stainless barrels?

Stainless is durable but suffers throat erosion much faster than a nitride barrel would. A phosphate barrel would usually have a chrome lining. Which is durable. On paper, the nitride barrel should be as accurate as a stainless barrel, and more accurate than a chrome lined barrel. Some say nitride is just as durable as chrome, others say chrome is more durable...

quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:If not chrome lined, does the rifle bore also get the nitride treatment?

Yes they nitride the entire barrel, so the inside and outside is treated.

Nitride barrels are very good in my experience.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
From what I have been able to gather:

Nitride:

Exceptional corrosion resistance

more durable than stainless or phosphate, but not quite on par with chrome lined.

Does not dimensionally affect the bore like chrome, more accurate in theory

I have owned all of the above, and still own all of them except for the chromed barrel which I sold.

Going forward right now my plan is for nitride barrel on everything.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
oing forward right now my plan is for nitride barrel on everything.

This for me. Good nitrite barrel from Faxon. You can't go wrong for 99% of shooters. If you are throwing match grade Dollar Bills down range. Making close groups at far away.

Step up to something else. One of the custom barrel makers.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post