SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I have stupid magazine capacity question regarding infringed state capacity?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have stupid magazine capacity question regarding infringed state capacity? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So the go to number is GENERALLY 10 rounds before guns get dangerous or some such.

Don't rounds such as .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf etc. use standard AR15 magazines just severely compromising capacity? I don't know the specifics but couldn't some enterprising magazine company simply sell 10 round (Whatever big bore AR round works here) to states such as California that are clearly marked 10 round .50 Beowulf etc.

In doing so couldn't one technically sell a 20-30 round AR15 magazine......legally?????

This is nothing more then my bored mind between meetings. I am NOT SELLING/IMPORTING ANYTHING into California/NY etc. etc. Just a little mental masturbation if you will?

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about CA, or magazines specifically.

When I lived In CT I had a p220, 2 p226's, 2 228's .

Threaded barrels became Illegal. So you had to register the firearms that were illegal.

I had a P220 22lr conversion kit with Threaded barrel, I had a P226 Conversion kit with Threaded barrel.

The p220 worked on p226 and p228 guns, With correct mags.

The P226 Kit worked on P220, and P228 with correct mags.

The state could not tell me how to register a caliber exchange kit. IE the 22lr.

I asked do I register 2 kits, They said yes.

What do I put for the serial numbers? They said what gun it goes with. I replied 5 guns. they said that is not how it works.

I could not get any straight answer from the state. I even had one of the gun store's attornies ask directly go get some guidance. The answer was use the serial number of the gun it was on.

So, He asked does he register 2 guns, 5 guns, or 10 guns since each kit will work on each registered frame.

He was told that is not how it works. And that if I could not provide all the registered guns at the time of inspection with all the features I would be held liable. IE if I registered 10 with TB, and only could provide 2 to guns I would be on the hook. If I registered 2, and the kits could be used to make 5 or 10 separate TB guns, I was on the hook.

So, to answer your question. The state does not likely know. The state will Likely prosecute the magazine holder, and wait for the courts to decide after the politicians drag the magazine holder through the media storm.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Don't rounds such as .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf etc. use standard AR15 magazines just severely compromising capacity?

I am also interested in the correct answer, but I would expect differences among the magazines, including in the feed lips between the cartridges you list and 223/5.56.

As one example I know the answer to, Magpul magazines specifically designed for the 300 Blackout are not exactly the same as their conventional 223/5.56 mags. The positioning ribs on the inside near the front aren’t as tall, and that’s because although 300 BLK ammo can be used in 223 mags, the ribs contact the .30 caliber bullets and push them in toward the centerline of the magazine. The position of the cartridges is changed slightly and that sometimes reduces the effective capacity of the mag.

On the other hand, I suspect that Magpul 300 BLK mags would work fine with 223 ammunition, but I don’t know for certain.

Added: I found a couple of videos by guys who modified 223 magazines to work reliably with 50 Beowulf ammunition, and they had to modify the feed lips quite a bit. If factory mags are similar, it seems to me that there might be a problem with retention of the smaller rounds in the magazines and possibly chambering problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47409 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My thinking is it depends on the wording of the law. During the AWB (National) nothing said you couldn't stuff 12 or 13 9mm rounds into a .40 magazine that in the vast majority of cases worked just fine.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I believe under California definitions: Stuffing more than 10 rounds of 556 into a magazine made to hold 10 rounds of 458 would be considered "manufacturing and illegal magazine".

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
It is completely legal in CA to buy magazines designed to hols 10rds of cartridge which just happen to also be able to contain more rounds of another cartridge. The ones that come immediately to mind are .40 magazines which also fit sister 9mm pistols...the Beretta 96 (same magazine as the 92)and the H&K P7M10 (same magazine as the M13).

The two examples are workable because the feed lips are close enough in dimensions to reliably work with both cartridges.

An important point to note about CA is that mere possession of a magazine with a larger capacity than 10rds is legal

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In reference to your question... "Shhhhh...." Big Grin

Vague laws are vague. Stupid laws are stupid. In NY a semi auto shotgun can only hold 7 shells (unless it's a previously registered "assault weapon", then it can hold 10.) A pump gun can hold 10. But 10 what?

A gun that holds seven 3.5" shells will hold fourteen mini shells. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its all in the drafting of the statue. And all that vagueness is really a terrible problem, as you really bear the risk of defending yourself. Yea ultimately the courts might help you with the vagueness defense (which is actually a real thing), but who the heck want to deal with that. I'm lucky that where I live we don't have a limit, but a number of them have been proposed. And every time I've gone to testify about that I've pointed out the stupidity. I lived in MA at one time and the law there for a "large capacity feeding device" said if it could accept more than 10 rounds "of ammunition" it was one. So caliber didn't matter. Neither did shotgun shell size as it was "five shotgun shells". I know it doesn't actually work that way in reality but I would guess there are a lot of illegal .40 magazines if you could stuff 12 rnds of 9mm in them. But I have never heard of a prosecution about it, or case law that might help. But I left there a long time ago.
But in any case you need to read the relevant statue to see what you are up against.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I will add; having lived in Comi-fornia now for 20+ years, Its easy to focus on mag capacity and legal work-around's, when your time is better spent working on your reload skills. The law does not limit the number of magazines you can carry, so live within the law and train your reality.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the way the OP described it is how things work in Canada.

I was wondering about this same thing recently, as my state is working to infringe on our rights with both magazine and semi-auto bans, and basically what I've found is that most of the legislation is copied from other states and none of it is written by people who know anything about guns (such as interchangeable caliber exchange kits), so applying the "form" legislation language to real world situations is tough.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite gimmicks (used to convince while testifying about such nonsense) is to take a magazine body (really doesn't matter what but the bigger the better), remove the guts, and then while counting plop .22 short rounds into it and say is this what you meant?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
It is completely legal in CA to buy magazines designed to hols 10rds of cartridge which just happen to also be able to contain more rounds of another cartridge. The ones that come immediately to mind are .40 magazines which also fit sister 9mm pistols...the Beretta 96 (same magazine as the 92)and the H&K P7M10 (same magazine as the M13).

The two examples are workable because the feed lips are close enough in dimensions to reliably work with both cartridges.

An important point to note about CA is that mere possession of a magazine with a larger capacity than 10rds is legal

Glocks work the same, i can get 12 9mm rounds in a 10 round 40 cal mag. It works fine. If the 10 round mags that hold more than 10 rounds possessed before freedom week they certainly legal now.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
This is the type of questions that we do not ask. Majority of the ATF rulings probably resulted from people constantly writing to them asking for "clarifications", and more often than not we end up screwing ourselves out of our rights.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post