SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX on the way. What do I need to know?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX on the way. What do I need to know? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
So I've got a MPX on the way. Should be at the local shop in a few days. It's a 8" Gen 2. I've got the SB Tac Sliding brace as well.

Other than buy some 9mm and mags. Any other upgrades or things to look out for?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Mine is a 8" Gen2 w/ the folding brace. I put a Radian charging handle in mine to prevent the finish gouging caused by the factory handle. I bought Gen1 mags from Gunmagwarehouse. Some guys have said Gen1 mags haven't worked for them but I haven't had any issues. I put a Vortex Strikefire2 w/ the cantilever mount and it's perfect for me. Backup sights co-witness well. I installed a small Sig laser on the left side of the rail, I modified (shortened) the keymod mount so I could mount it farther forward, this gave me enough hand room on the rail for a comfortable grip. Overall very happy with mine.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Don’t fully load the mags until broken in. Only aftermarket trigger I know of is Timney, Geiesele is still working on one. I dropped the folding stock for the SBR Tactical brace which is very nice. Fun little chunk of steel.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson and Elftman also have triggers that they say work for the MPX, but Timeny is what I have in mine. All are drop in triggers.

Word is that Geissele has abandoned work on their MPX trigger.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Try not to giggle too loudly when playing with it at the range. Apparently some folks find that annoying.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Buy spare parts now for when SIG discontinues it in a few years. Seriously, who thought the 556 would be gone so soon.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck you can't even get them now.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the note of spare parts, what would be good to have for this? May buy some while they still exist?

Posts: 39 | Registered: March 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fullsize.45:
On the note of spare parts, what would be good to have for this? May buy some while they still exist?

Wondering this as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ideally, I'd like to have a spare bolt and buffer springs, but after some discussions with Sig, you can get firing pin, but they won't sell the bolt, or at least they wouldn't sell ME the bolt.

The firing pin is the only thing I've read of any failures about, after that the buffer springs would be nice to have.

Trigger springs are AR parts so not much worry there, and anything else past that would be a big enough issue you'd probably be sending the gun back to Sig.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Buy spare parts now for when SIG discontinues it in a few years. Seriously, who thought the 556 would be gone so soon.

What exactly happened with that?

I'll admit I haven't paid attention to the rifle market for the past 2-3 years. So when I recently decided to look for a new one, no 556, or any 55X rifles to see.

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig discontinued new 556 production (which in and of itself wouldn't bother me), but at the same time essentially all support and parts for the installed base went with it. I have a gun with a lifetime warranty that sig simply does not have the parts to fix and can't.
Need a spring for your 556. good luck. Its a travesty full stop and they deserve to be abused about it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post