SIGforum
Messing around with some Bula Defense CBR configurations

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8790025524

June 10, 2017, 10:54 AM
benny6
Messing around with some Bula Defense CBR configurations
Here's a CBR (carbon fiber battle rifle) that I've been getting familiar with.

Long range...

Close range/run-n-gun

I really like the red dot look. How about you? The medium height Magpul cheek riser puts my eye right in line with the Burris Fastfire III.

This stock is 100% carbon fiber.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
June 10, 2017, 11:16 AM
WARPIG602
Im going to be experimenting with the the micro red dots on rifles shortly. While maybe not my first choice on this particular setup, Im sure it will work.

Whats the weight of the rifle loaded?

June 13, 2017, 09:54 AM
benny6
The weights below are with the bipod and weapon light removed.

9 pounds, 9 ounces empty with no optics or other accessories.

9 pounds 11 ounces empty with the Burris Fastfire.

10 pounds 15 ounces empty with the Zeiss.

11 pounds, 2 ounces with a full mag and no optic.

11 pounds, 4 ounces with a full mag and a Burris Fastfire.

12 pounds 9 ounces with the Zeiss and a full mag.

CBR Stock impressions:

I do like this stock. It's a well made, robust take on a modern chassis in composite form.

Pros:

-Modularity: You can accessorize this stock until your heart's content like you would an AR, from the infinite choices in tube stocks to all the whiz-bangs you can add to the front picatinny rails

-Robustness: The carbon fiber is a really sturdy light weight material that should provide an excellent base for the action to nestle in. The added bolt-on top rail adds to the forearm rigidity

-Drop-in ready: Although it resembles a SAGE/Blackfeather type chassis, it does not require any modification or replacement of the operating rod guide. There may be some minor fitting necessary to get the action to fully seat or for the trigger group to fully close, but a little whittling away of some material around the trigger group seating points and you will be set with good trigger lockup. This should already be done if you order a complete rifle.

-Light Weight: The bare rifle without optics or magazine weighs only 5 ounces more than my 19.25" standard weight Bula all-purpose rifle with GI fiberglass stock. The CBR action has an 18" medium weight barrel, so the difference in weight is pretty much all barrel mass.

-Glass Bedding option: Being carbon-fiber, you can opt to glass bed the action into the stock which will squeeze out more accuracy for those who wish to extend the capabilities of the platform.

-Flat/Fat Forearm: The forearm of the CBR is fat and flat which makes it nice to shoot off a bench with bags.

Cons: It's really hard to pin down a con on this one so I'll try to nit-pick just to be objective.

-Balance: One of the draw-backs of having a light weight modern rifle is the lack of mass behind the receiver. traditional stocks place more weight behind the receiver which places the balance point right around the mag well. Although light in comparison to other chassis systems, your forward arm will do most of the heavy lifting, and since your support arm will be farther from the torso, the weight will feel heavier and fatigue will eventually set in, if shooting from the standing position.

You could install a heavier buttstock, like a PRS, which would add some weight to the rear, but still adds more weight to the whole rifle.

It should be noted that the Blackfeather and the SAGE will yield similar experineces, so not really a ding on the CBR, but more of a characteristic of modern configurations.

-Trigger Finger Placement: Again, just a characteristic of the pistol-gripped stocks available for the M14/M1A. I used a trigger group with an EBR trigger shoe for testing. I recommend installing (gluing) a trigger shoe on, or replacing the trigger with a Shooting Sight EBR trigger for the best feel. I would recommend the same for a SAGE or Blackfeather.

-Trigger Guard Unlatching: It's difficult to install a tool in the trigger guard hole to unlatch the trigger. Trigger group removal can be difficult if you don't know the tricks.

That's about it for the summary.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com