SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Browning BAR-22 (in contrast to the Browning SA-22)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Browning BAR-22 (in contrast to the Browning SA-22) Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’ve always wanted a Browning SA-22. Unfortunately, every time I’ve been in a position to afford one, I can’t find one. This Browning BAR-22 is a fine example of this problem. Several years ago, I was looking for an SA-22 at a local gun show when I found this. The owner claimed he had never shot it and as far as I can tell, it looks unfired.

The wood is flawless and if the original owner hadn’t installed a rail on the top to put a scope on it (that he never did), which left a very few small marks on the tope of the receiver, it would be 100%. On top of the condition, the seller still had the original box and manual. I know a guy that is interested in buying it from me but I’ve never quite pulled the trigger - one way or another but with current prices, I’m rather tempted.

Anyway, with all the interest in the SA-22, I thought you all might a look at this rather good example of an out-of-production Browning 22 LR. I’ll apologize in advance for the poor pictures. I used my cell phone and they didn’t come at the best.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice little tube feed. Didn't Colt make a similar .22 rifle?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
About ten years before the Browning BAR-22.
Link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019...tagecoach-22lr-rifle

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Looks great, I'd own one if given the chance.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That's one I've never seen before. Looks pretty neat. I like the A-5 almost hump back to the rear of the receiver.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Love it. I remember ogling these in the yearly Browning catalog when I was younger. They made a pump action, too, IIRC. Like the BL-22, it has the best magazine tube retention system ever devised.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
The magazine tube and feed remind me of a Winchester 9422 lever action which is another out-of-production and first rate .22lr that is no longer available.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
That's one I've never seen before. Looks pretty neat. I like the A-5 almost hump back to the rear of the receiver.

it's made to resemble the 'hump back' look of the modern BAR, but smaller of course due to caliber,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

I saw a Colt Colteer at a local shop I don’t get to very often. It had a similar profile.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:

it's made to resemble the 'hump back' look of the modern BAR, but smaller of course due to caliber,

If you have ever handled a BAR-22 and a sporting centerfire BAR, the .22lr version really does feel and handle like a svelte sister to her centerfire brother.

posted Hide Post
They also made it with plastic furniture. I held one years ago at a pawn shop after looking for one forever but couldn't make myself lay out the 3 bills or so they wanted. The plastic ones feel cheap. At least to me. Always wanted one with wood. Congrats.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

I saw a Colt Colteer at a local shop I don’t get to very often. It had a similar profile.
Thank you. I havn't seen one in many years.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post