SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SKS ain't cheap no more
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS ain't cheap no more Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
Anyone selling these in arsenal crate quantities these days?

Classic Firearms has crates of Yugo M59/66A1 SKSs.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-for-sale

$3,999 per crate (10 rifles), plus freight.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hctr154
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
An SKS for over $800? Wow.

That's an understatement.

Posts: 334 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: February 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
This thread made me itchy for an SKS. I had a $99 Chinese and a $199 Russian in the early 90's, both of which are long gone. With prices continuing to rise, I decided I needed a replacement. After a bit of searching, I found this 1954 Russian (Tula) at a local shop. It's an arsenal refurb as evidenced by the rebuild code [/] as well as the black painted finish. All component part numbers match with the laminated replacement stock re-numbered to the rifle. It does not appear to have been fired since the rebuild. I removed the black paint from the bolt & carrier by soaking them in airplane stripper. I'm not sure what type of paint was used or what process was used to cure it, but it is some very tenacious stuff. I have no plans to strip the remaining metal. I added a sling from my parts box and am waiting for some stripper clips in the mail.

1954 Russian SKS Tula Arsenal (refurb)

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have two both Chinese. First one was a full size rifle like new for $79 ,second one was a Chinese 16" from Navy Arms for $99. Had two other full size rifles I gave to friends wish I bought more .

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
Anyone selling these in arsenal crate quantities these days?

Classic Firearms has crates of Yugo M59/66A1 SKSs.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-sks-for-sale

$3,999 per crate (10 rifles), plus freight.

That's actually pretty cool and not all that bad considering todays prices. My only SKS is a Russian that is superb! Picked it up in SoCal from a dealer in 1993...got to pick through the crate and select my $89 rifle. I went there to pick up a Glock 21, saw the open case that had recently arrived and went home with both. Who would've thought it'd be good to stack a few cases in the closet for years down the road. Kind of like those cached M1Garand cases hidden in a bunker somewhere too....Just waiting to be discovered... Wink

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I believe someone stated earlier, the easiest way to tell a Russkie refurb is a rectangular box with a slash through it. These marks are usually found on the top cover and left side of the stock.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I was in a pawn shop yesterday and saw an SKS Paratrooper for $499. Nice looking gun, but not for that price.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Current bid on this Chicom SKS is over $2200 Eek

SKS Auction

I hope the winning bidder realizes this is a late version, pinned barrel with an actual serial number of 25000001.
It isn't even from one of the original factories that the Soviets initially transferred SKS manufacturing equipment to.
The lack of a bayonet indicates it was likely imported after 1989.
Other than the unusual serial number it is just another late model, run of the mill Chicom SKS

I would hazard a guess that a knowledgeable collector might go $550~$650 tops.
Either times have changed more than I realize or P.T. Barnum was correct.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Can't decide if idiots, or shill bidding.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't log in to see the bidding history but you bring up a good point.

Also took a closer look at the photos and the stock looks like it was carved with a sharp rock.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I bought an SKS back in the 80's that took AK mags, I didn't care for it so I traded it off for a Smith and Wesson pistol. I still don't know much about it but something tells me I should have kept it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I bought an SKS back in the 80's that took AK mags, I didn't care for it so I traded it off for a Smith and Wesson pistol. I still don't know much about it but something tells me I should have kept it.

There were a few Chinese SKS variants, namely the SKS-M and SKS-D, that were designed to accept AK magazines.

They're certainly less common than traditional Chinese SKSs, and typically go for several hundred dollars more. But they're not so valuable that you should be kicking yourself. If you didn't care for it, then I don't blame you for trading it off for something you actually wanted/liked, even if that S&W pistol is likely worth less than half of what a SKS-M/D would go for today.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchased a Chinese /26\ (circa 1958) for $80 at local garage sale last September.
Took months to get the cosmoline out.........

Also purchased from same guy, same garage sale a 91/30 Mosin for $150.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Buddy had a Chinese SKS back in the day when they came out. We cleaned the bore on a hot summer day and started shooting till it was smoking. The cosmoline was just boiling out of it. Great blaster gun.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:

I didn't log in to see the bidding history but you bring up a good point.

Let's hope Dmarco59 has seen the light

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1954 Tula refurbished. Picked it up not that long ago (estate sale - more than $89, but not crazy). Fun to shoot. Pays to remember that the safety does not block the sear, only the trigger. Not something you want to drop if loaded. Not that you want to drop any rifle, any time.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, this thread caused me to dig mine out.

Got two 1954 Tula refurbs. One with the original hardwood stock and spike bayonet (has slash within a square refurb mark). The other has the laminated stock and a blade bayonet (has diamond with a line from point to point refurb mark.)

Also found an Albanian, a Romanian, and a Chinese/Egyptian military contract (laminate stock). Still got a NIB Norinco Chinese commercial; although I'm a military collector. Bought it around 1986 from Keng's Firearms in Atl. GA. Manufacturers code is 9696 in an oval cartouche. One of the less common makers codes (but not really scarce).

Went overboard on Yugo's. Wound up with five really nice refurb M59's with gorgeous rift sawn Carpathian elm stocks/handguards. Have a couple of M59/66's (one refurb, one battle scarred). They're my least favorite SKS -- too long and too heavy.

Don't believe I'll ever acquire one of the East German, N. Korean or Vietnamese versions -- much to scarce and pricey. I believe Croatia is sitting on a bunch of EG's; maybe they'll put them on the surplus market soon.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
I have two Norincos.One is a 20" standard model all matching numbers with the spike bayo bought new in early '90s.The other is a 16" thumbhole carbine that accepts ak47 magazines.Originally imported and sold with flush fitting 5rnd mags that are a pita to remove and will accept the standard 30rnd mags but will not accept the 75rnd drums.Like Rogue said they're not all that they are cracked up to be but they are cool.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post