SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SKS ain't cheap no more
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS ain't cheap no more Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
At least I got a nice Yugo. Those Russians are too rich for my blood though Wink

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Is that one from AIM surplus?

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Is that one from AIM surplus?

No, off GB. But the AIM rifles also look nice. as well as those from J&G and Classic Firearms.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
No, they are no longer the bargain they once were. However, that Yugo will last for a long, long time.

Great looking rifle.

I remember when you could buy an SKS for $100.00 and a case of ammo for $99.00. Yes, I know, that was a long time ago.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Nice looking Yugo, SigSentry.

Like P-220, I bought my 1st Russian back in the early 90's for $95 out the door. Stupidly, I traded it a few years later but re-acquired one a few years ago and it was almost $500 Eek I've also bought a Chinese one as well since then and that was around $450 IIRC.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I believe that TGS still has them, too.

What do you folks think of the SKS? I've been curious about them.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
What do you folks think of the SKS? I've been curious about them.

They're fun, handy rifles that used to represent a great value for the shooter on a budget, but with the increased prices these days, it's hard to justify buying one for serious purposes when you can get an AR or AK for just a little bit more.

Still, if you already have plenty of "better" rifles, and have the money to spend, it's worth picking one up for variety's sake. (Especially if you're already sitting on a truckload of 7.62x39.) They make enjoyable range toys.

I have two, a Chinese commercial SKS, and a Yugoslavian surplus M59/66A1.

(Old, crappy photo... Needs a new one.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I remember back when I was a wee lad, my uncle bought 3 of them for less than 200 bucks each (around 1992 or so).

At that price at that time, it was a hell of a bargain.

Sadly, you can't get them for anywhere near that bargain today, which means they aren't a bargain.

A run of the mill AK clone is nearly the same price and IMO, a better rifle.

When they were cheap, they were a "must have" just to have one and have cheap rifle, that shot cheap ammo, that was fun to shoot.

Now, the rifle ain't cheap, and the ammo ain't that cheap anymore...

Sad.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
SKS are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive up here, picked up this uninssued, unrefurbed "no-date" (post 1955) Russian a couple months back for just over $200.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I prefer mine to the two AKs I owned previously. All thats really missing is a detachable box magazine.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 (or was it 10?) yugo sks rifles about 10 years ago for $99 each.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
SKS are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive up here, picked up this uninssued, unrefurbed "no-date" (post 1955) Russian a couple months back for just over $200.

that same setup would be 600+ down here

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
I prefer mine to the two AKs I owned previously. All thats really missing is a detachable box magazine.

The detachable magazine business for the SKS is awkward at best, and the chinese extended magazine isn't great either. The SKS made me appreciate strippers.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Bought my yugo unissued for about $200 7 years ago. It's a fun range you and built like a tank.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:

The detachable magazine business for the SKS is awkward at best, and the chinese extended magazine isn't great either. The SKS made me appreciate strippers.

I have never heard or read anything good about those things either. Just pointing out one advantage the AK does have. And really not that big a deal IMO.

Generally, the less you fool with an SKS, the better.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:

that same setup would be 600+ down here

Well we can't have AK's so we make do with (still plentiful so far) SKS's and 91/30 Mosins (which you can still purchase by the crate).

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I got you all beat. I bought a new Chinese SKS with spike bayonet for $69 shipped back in the day. It took forever to clean all the cosmolene off it. It lives in the back of my safe, never even shot it.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
I got you all beat. I bought a new Chinese SKS with spike bayonet for $69 shipped back in the day.

Nope. I bought my Chinese SKS for $200 about 8 years ago. And it came with $300+ worth of ammo.

That's -$100. Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a beautiful, like new, 1952 Russian SKS. I'll never sell it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post