SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SKS ain't cheap no more
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS ain't cheap no more Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bought a 1958 /26\ Chinese covered in cosmoline (and I mean covered) at a garage sale a year ago - $80.00.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I've got a Russian and a Chinese that I bought around 25 years ago for less then $100 each. I'm glad I did. Leaving in CA they're great rifles to have since they have fixed magazines and aren't considered "Assault Rifles"....at least not yet anyway......

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
Leaving in CA they're great rifles to have since they have fixed magazines and aren't considered "Assault Rifles"....at least not yet anyway......

SKSs are generally legal in ban states like California, with a few exceptions for some non-standard models.

One exception being the Yugoslavian M59/66 and M59/66A1 SKSs. The grenade launcher makes them verboten. (Though you can have the pinned grenade launcher removed, which renders them legal again.)

There are also a few Chinese commercial SKS models that are designed to accept detachable AK magazines, including the SKS-M and SKS-D, which may run afoul of weapons laws. But those are relatively uncommon anyway, and usually fairly pricey if you can find one.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the early 90s when the LGS had stacks and stacks of them for $89 all day long.

My Dad was a little late to the game and ended up paying $149 for his Norinco SKS, which I've since inherited. Wink

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Though you can have the pinned grenade launcher removed, which renders them legal again.)

Well, that might explain something - I just got an e-flyer from J&G advertising Yugo 59/66s with flash hiders installed instead of grenade launching spigots.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vit
posted Hide Post

Posts: 318 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's ridiculous.

But it's Cabelas, so I'm not surprised.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That's ridiculous.

Don't let the tag scare you. Normally if you talk to the right person, they'll knock $25 off a $849.99 rifle Wink

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even with it being a so-called "Paratrooper" SKS with a 16 inch barrel, it's still priced ~$400 over its actual value.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That's ridiculous.

Holy Crap. I paid $99.00 for my Paratrooper and I believe it was a Norinco. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it was a few years ago.

I am not sure I would pay that for a LNIB Russian.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Well damn, one is none I suppose. Had to pick up a local norinco. This was a little cheaper.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's cleaning up nicely. But all I can say is "holy negative sear engagement batman". /0223\ I would put it around 1978 but no real way to tell (56+22).

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My local shop has a minty fresh Norinco for $250 OTD.

If I weren't stacked with $99 Norincos from almost two decades ago, I'd get it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have one of the surplus Russian ones dated 1955.
I have no idea the quality of it since I have never shot it.

I think I paid $75 back in the mid 1990s.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
An SKS for over $800? Wow.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I have one of the surplus Russian ones dated 1955.
I have no idea the quality of it since I have never shot it.

I think I paid $75 back in the mid 1990s.

You take a hundred for it today? Wink
Can't fault a guy for trying......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It's my birth year, one of the daughters will want it.

Back in the mid nineties, these Russian SKSs were everywhere.
I remember when I got mine, the guy had over 40 to pick from. It took me 10 minutes to find the 1955 one.

As I say, I don't know if mine is any good or not, I have not shot it.
It looks kind of neat though.

I haven't looked at it in a long time.
I think it's one of the red shellac made ones.
It might be a refurb, but the stock has no X outs like so many do.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I was curious so I pulled mine out.

It's marked 1955r with a star on the top of the receiver. There is nothing else stamped there, no *, no /, no nothing.

The numbers all match and the bolt and bayo are in the white.

There are no Xs on the stock.
There is no black paint on the gas block or any metal surfaces. All surfaces are blued.

My stock has a few nicks, nothing major so based on the above, I think I lucked out and got a non refurb.

Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
Anyone selling these in arsenal crate quantities these days?

I always wanted one to add a glass top to in order to kick my feet upon as a coffee table in an informal setting.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post