SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Primary Arms and Vortex red dots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primary Arms and Vortex red dots Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Which model of each brand would you recommend for an AR9 fun gun/wife's home defense/varmint gun? If I were going all out I'd get an Aimpont PRO but I feel like that'd be overkill for the situation.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Vortex. But this PA RDS has been on my SBR for around a year & half. With it turned on. No issues.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pri...-battery-life-md-ads

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That's one I've looked at recently. How's the co witness with irons?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I own both the Primary Arms Red Dot Sight, and the Vortex Sparc II . Both can be had for about $200, each.

On average the Vortex offering is roughly 20% more expensive, but worth it. An extra $40 gets you far better optics, a kick ass warranty, and I believe, a better all around build quality.

My PA unit has been relegated to .22 pistol duty, and the VS unit remains on my 9mm subgun.

There is, hands down, really no choice. Get the Vortex Spark II, and don't look back.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I don't have a red dot...but I do have two Vortex Spitfire illuminated etched reticle scopes, one 1X and one 3x...I am very impressed with these two Vortex products I have on two of my ARs. I wish I could use red dots, but my eyes are so bad the dot really looks weird. IF I did buy an "affordable" red dot, I would purchase a Vortex biased on my personal satisfaction with the brand and reviews of their customer service and warrantee (truthfully, PA also has good reviews)...

If I could use a red dot...I would have already ordered this deal from PSA...

http://palmettostatearmory.com...-30rd-magazines.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how one can ever feel there is overkill on a gun that has "home defense" in its job description. Get the aimpoint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I've got a Sparc II on an AR pistol and it works fine, no issues.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not sure how one can ever feel there is overkill on a gun that has "home defense" in its job description. Get the aimpoint.

I agree. Don't go cheap on a home defense gun.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PA MD-ADS on a build and would trust it for a HD role based on the reviews, torture test and my personal experience with it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I agree. Don't go cheap on a home defense gun.

This. No, seriously. Vortex makes a nice toy. When they have millions in the field with a decade of testing behind them I'll think about one on my home defence gun.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Vortex Sparc II from Optics planet $159.00 w/free shipping Military/LEO/Veteran discount. That is 40% off MSRP.

It will sit on my Bushmaster XM15 heavy barrel, with the carry handle removed.

I have heard lots of good reviews, especially at this price point.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
For my last build, I picked up an AT3 Tactical RD-50 from Amazon for about $80 bucks with mount. It's a really good sight for the money. Easy to sight in, looks and feels robust. 50k battery life. I'll definitely get a few more.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aim point pro is on sale at OpticsPlanet for $371 with code wlred. Or Romeo 5 for $131. Hard to beat them at those prices.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post