SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New To AK
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To AK Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Understand. Best of luck with your deal, and don't forget to post up some pics if you take it home!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
What the heck happened!
I thought the WASR was the laughing stock of the AK world a couple years ago? Now people are recommending it!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I bought a WASR 10 from Atlantic last year. They looked it over per their quality control check and it came pretty much perfect to me. Shot it the other day finally and it was a great experience. No issues at all and actually more accurate than I thought it would be. Seems like the WASR 10’s of the last few years are good to go per my research.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
What the heck happened!
I thought the WASR was the laughing stock of the AK world a couple years ago? Now people are recommending it!

Three or four years ago, yep. Their quality has apparently improved, and they no longer have to compete with Saigas and VEPRs, so I guess the world is a different place.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Newer Wasr's are good to go and pretty the standard right now.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Early import WASRs had some issues, but mainly because the people putting them together were not qualified to be doing it. (I'm not sure some of them were qualified to be working the fryer at McDs)

But, newer/newish versions are quite decent. Mine is a late 2009/early 2010 variant based on a 1980 receiver. It's got great rivets, a straight front sight base, straight (correctly installed) barrel and no mag wobble.

It's also a matter of how people think of these guns. You can't really compare them to an AR where there are ten to fifteen really good manufacturers pumping them out every day.

In the AK market, your choices are to buy: A. a complete rifle (like the Arsenal Bulgarians) B. a Cold-War built mil-surp parts style rifle like a WASR or Yugo, or C. try one of the American built rifles like the RAS or Palmetto - where you run into MIM and cast parts.

It is helpful to think of them more like a traditional mil-surp like a M1 or early M1A instead of a "new" rifle, like modern ARs.

Most WASRs are built on actual AKM receivers with mil-spec parts, at the same Romanian Cugir factory where the PM-63 and the GP-75 were built, and have the chrome lined barrels.

So in reality - in the sub $1K market - your choices are limited to the mil-surp-ish AKMs of the Warsaw Pact or the cast parts and MIM of the current American market.

If, however, your AK budget exceeds the $1200-1500 range, the world is your oyster.

For those in the 45~55 year old range on the forum, if you want to kick yourself in the pants, take a look on GB at what Norinco Type 56 AKs are going for these days. How many of those did you (like me) ignore at your local pawn shop when they were $299 per copy?

"I ain't buyin' that Chi-com piece of shit! I'm gettin' me a 'Merican rifle!"

Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Feeling you Bionic, just put $800 into a MAK 90 (decent Magpul furniture though). Ain't cheap anymore!

quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Early import WASRs had some issues, but mainly because the people putting them together were not qualified to be doing it. (I'm not sure some of them were qualified to be working the fryer at McDs)

But, newer/newish versions are quite decent. Mine is a late 2009/early 2010 variant based on a 1980 receiver. It's got great rivets, a straight front sight base, straight (correctly installed) barrel and no mag wobble.

It's also a matter of how people think of these guns. You can't really compare them to an AR where there are ten to fifteen really good manufacturers pumping them out every day.

In the AK market, your choices are to buy: A. a complete rifle (like the Arsenal Bulgarians) B. a Cold-War built mil-surp parts style rifle like a WASR or Yugo, or C. try one of the American built rifles like the RAS or Palmetto - where you run into MIM and cast parts.

It is helpful to think of them more like a traditional mil-surp like a M1 or early M1A instead of a "new" rifle, like modern ARs.

Most WASRs are built on actual AKM receivers with mil-spec parts, at the same Romanian Cugir factory where the PM-63 and the GP-75 were built, and have the chrome lined barrels.

So in reality - in the sub $1K market - your choices are limited to the mil-surp-ish AKMs of the Warsaw Pact or the cast parts and MIM of the current American market.

If, however, your AK budget exceeds the $1200-1500 range, the world is your oyster.

For those in the 45~55 year old range on the forum, if you want to kick yourself in the pants, take a look on GB at what Norinco Type 56 AKs are going for these days. How many of those did you (like me) ignore at your local pawn shop when they were $299 per copy?

Big Grin

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, it all depends on your perspective. I had a thumbhole MAK 90 with the visible exterior of the barrel tapped from the muzzle back like it was supposed to be screwed into something before you fired it. I'm much happier with a Yugo OPAP these days.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, it all depends on your perspective.

I'm sure they had their share of duds too, but Norincos of most any stripe are bringing top dollar these days.

I recall seeing two or three Type 56s in pawn shops regularly, and all of them were around $300. I'd scoff at the prices back then, but now I wish I'd snapped up a few.

It occurs to me that I sound like my father in law talking about Russian SKSs in barrels for $79 each. But unlike him, I wasn't smart enough to grab one. (1953 Tula - it's a beauty)

Fortunately, the ammo is still widely available and super cheap! Smile

posted Hide Post
I do appreciate all comments and concerns and I did a trade for a used but appears to be very good condition RAS 47.
I got the RAS 47 with 400 rounds of Monarch (Academy Sports/Barnaul) hollowpoint 7.62, 4-30 round Pmags, 2 steel mags, TRS 25 red dot,and striker industries rail. My trade value was about $625.00 and local/face to face trade so no shipping or FFL fees (still legal transfer in Missouri). I like the package deal.

I'll have some time to round some rounds through it in a couple of days and I'll put a couple of pictures up then.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218: or C. try one of the American built rifles like the RAS or Palmetto - where you run into MIM and cast parts.

What specifically are the known issues associated with using MIM and cast parts in an American built AK? My internet search efforts this morning do not find any recurring theme of parts breaking or unreliable operation of American built AKs due to MIM and cast parts. Lots of general info how MIM and cast parts can be bad if not properly treated during the manufacturing process, but nothing specific about American built AKs.

Curious so I'll know what parts to keep an eye on in my newly-purchased PSAK-47 for $499.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Head on over to AK Files for the full debate, or AK Operators Union for the short versions. Functioning has been problematic for some RAS, C39, DDI, Riley Defense and PSA AKs. Some, myself included, believe that American manufacturers are still on the learning curve. Others blame the problems on substandard parts, particularly trunnions and receivers.

Personally, I'm rooting for Palmetto. I don't really need an AK in 5.56, but I could probably find room in the collection for a good one.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Head on over to AK Files for the full debate, or AK Operators Union for the short versions. Functioning has been problematic for some RAS, C39, DDI, Riley Defense and PSA AKs.

Thanks for posting that Il Cattivo. That's exactly what I would have pointed to. And - like you - I'm not rooting for anyone to fail. More choices would make the prices even better (like we're currently seeing with the AR market). Personally, I hope all of them succeed.

I think the failures are pretty few and far between, but they are out there. I think Hickok's son broke the front sight post off his, IIRC? It's not the end of the world, or a problem of the magnitude of say the Remington R51, but it's not all good either.

Hopefully they all get them dialed in and we can start enjoying lots of options in affordable American AKs.

posted Hide Post
I just bought an Arsenal SLR-107 stamped receiver AK, for around $900. It's pretty much standard AK with plastic furniture, and I am upgrading it to Magpul furniture - MOE AKM hand guard, Zhukov folding stock, and waiting on a MOE grip. Sight base is straight, two-stage trigger is gritty on take up but weight is 4-5 pounds overall. Finish is a bit crappy though. For the extra couple hundred over the others, it's worth it.

The WASR's and NPAP's have their quirks but good ones can be found. Century RAS47 and C39V2 have the best looking finish on the outside and good triggers, but the internals (cast trunions on RAS, cast bolt carrier on all) have had issues.

Today I saw a milled receiver Arsenal SAM7 with integral righ-side-folding stock and thumb safety on the left side. Really nice and $1350, but it's somewhat proprietary and you can't change much on it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ain't buyin' that Chi-com piece of shit! I'm gettin' me a 'Merican rifle!"

That kinda resembles me, although I kinda rember thinking that double underfolder, new for $379 was kinda cool but the only place you could find ammo was at the bigger gun show of which around here was every 6 mos ... Sometimes a year.

Looking back a little later when they jumped up to the $400-$500 and not seeing thier future was a bit short sighted.

I've SBR'd Zastava PAP M85 & M92 which have folders on them and a while back I had picked up a Valmet 62 tube folder ... I still felt a little under-gunned because I didn't have a 7.62x39 with a 16" barrel ... I was thinking a 7.62x39 Valmet but I see they're up around 5K ... So I settled for a used Arsenal SLR-95. I got new Magpul furniture, the Zhukov folding stock and long handguard from another project that didn't work out that I think will look good on it. It was just over 1K after shipping & transfer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that didn't take long for me to flip a 180 Smile
As for my initial "old school/wood furniture preference".....didn't even fire a round yet and pulled all the wood furniture off and have it for sale and made an offer on very lightly used Zhukov Magpul furniture...pulled off the Striker Industries rail and watching a couple of good/used MI railed gas tubes.
I probably could have spent a bit more upfront and had more upgrades but the fun part for me is putting everything together.
As promised here is a photo of my RAS47 Smile

DSC00045 (800x533)

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Good job, Summers. AK mods are half the fun. (The other half is $4 a box ammo)

I have the MI gas rail on mine, and I'm very happy with fit, finish, and function. Their stuff is expensive, but IMHO - worth it.

Somebody local had those in stock if you want one off the shelf. Black Rifle LLC in Columbia Mo maybe?

Best of luck with the new rifle, and enjoy!

posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to buy a WASR from Henderson Defense years ago and they went through the rifle. They straightened out any issues with the sights, gas block and mag well. Mine runs like a top and is accurate for what it is. I wish I would have bought a Bulgarian model years ago.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good job, Summers. AK mods are half the fun. (The other half is $4 a box ammo)

I have the MI gas rail on mine, and I'm very happy with fit, finish, and function. Their stuff is expensive, but IMHO - worth it.

Somebody local had those in stock if you want one off the shelf. Black Rifle LLC in Columbia Mo maybe?

From my limited knowledge it appears that many people run steel cased ammo through their AK's and for the most part there are not many problems...I've never ran steel cased ammo thought my DD ARs.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
quote:
Good job, Summers. AK mods are half the fun. (The other half is $4 a box ammo)uhh

From my limited knowledge it appears that many people run steel cased ammo through their AK's and for the most part there are not many problems...I've never ran steel cased ammo thought my DD ARs.

I can't speak to your model specifically, but my WASR actually prefers steel case. I've had excellent results with Hot Shot (Ukrainian) and Brown Bear/Monarch/Barnaul (Russian)

Believe it or not, my best groups were with Monarch - which is just Academy's house brand of Brown Bear (I believe)