SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New To AK
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To AK Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I do see 7.62x39s around with the AK74-type muzzle brake from time to time and I seem to recall their being a feature on some of the newer Kalashnikov designs chambered in 7.62x39. If you don't mind my asking, did any of those pop up in your search?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
I've got a UltiMAK Rail in my spare parts box too but I've also got a railed top cover

FYI, the railed gas tubes (like Ultimak and MI) are set up as such to give true co-witness to most popular red dot (with no riser).

They do get front heavy with that set-up, at least mine is, but I don't mind it a bit.

My rail is the Texas Weapons Systems and it does lock up pretty tight, it's at least as tight as the cover on my Valmet. The reason my Ultimak is in my spare parts box is my Russian red-dot (Kobra?) would overheat when mounted on it.

I didn't get around to cutting the handguard retainer off today and installing the long MagPul handguard ... Maybe next week Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason my Ultimak is in my spare parts box is my Russian red-dot (Kobra?) would overheat when mounted on it.

That's a legitimate concern. That gas tube can get quite warm under sustained fire.

OP; I went with the AK74 style brake and used an NGK "B" series spark plug washer to clock it in correctly. If you decide to go that way, let me know. My local guy sells them for $20 and he has a grip of them.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, I do see 7.62x39s around with the AK74-type muzzle brake from time to time and I seem to recall their being a feature on some of the newer Kalashnikov designs chambered in 7.62x39. If you don't mind my asking, did any of those pop up in your search?

I briefly looked at the AK74 brake but there are so many different brakes out there I have more homework to do,

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
The reason my Ultimak is in my spare parts box is my Russian red-dot (Kobra?) would overheat when mounted on it.

That's a legitimate concern. That gas tube can get quite warm under sustained fire.

OP; I went with the AK74 style brake and used an NGK "B" series spark plug washer to clock it in correctly. If you decide to go that way, let me know. My local guy sells them for $20 and he has a grip of them.

I appreciate the offer and may take you up on that...is there a certain brand he sells?

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, I do see 7.62x39s around with the AK74-type muzzle brake from time to time and I seem to recall their being a feature on some of the newer Kalashnikov designs chambered in 7.62x39.

That's what I have on mine. It works well, although with my 14.5" barrel and the AK74-style brake, the muzzle blast can be annoying for shooters on either side of me.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate the offer and may take you up on that...is there a certain brand he sells?

I think they're Chinese knock-offs; but it's going on an AK, so . . . . .

Big Grin

Honestly don't know. Mine has no markings on it anywhere, and came in a clear plastic wrap with no tags. I had to check threads by hand to find it was 14x1L, and poke the back with a .308 to make sure a 7.62 would pass through.

Even with that checked, I still flinched on that first shot. (AK muzzle devices are nothing as smooth and easy to work with as your average AR hider or brake)

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/FLASH_VIDEO][FLASH_VIDEO]

Anyone with a Century Arms AK may want to check this out.

Posts: 55 | Location: AL | Registered: March 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I shoot almost nothing but steel cased ammo through my AKs, with nary a hiccup. They were designed for steel cased ammo. Mine like Golden Tiger FMJ the best out of the cheap steel-cased plinking ammo, so that makes up most of my stockpile.

I use Federal Fusion soft point (brass cased), Hornady SST hollow point (steel cased), and Ulyanovsk 8M3 hollow point (steel cased) for hog hunting.

The Zhukov stock is fantastic. Superior to the standard AK stock, and the ability to fold is handy.

The longer Zhukov handguard was a great addition to my AK-103k. I like being able to get my support hand further out. Allows me to use a stance that's closer to the one I use on ARs, which I shoot with my support arm fully extended.

Thanks Rogue for the pic and encouragment to go ahead and cut that retainer ... I finally got around to it today ... It's funny how that muzzle break that I despised so badly 20 years ago doesn't bother me any more!

I also threw on the Texas Weapons Dogleg ... While trying to figure out how to "sight" it, I have a rear peep that looks like it might work, but then "I spy with my little eye" a HK G36 3x scope I'd picked up on clearance back around Christmas ... Got it out last week to see how everything works ... This was at 100 yards with 30+mph cross wind/gusts

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post